Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GSX1400 rear shock upgrades?

Bike
    bking, tlr1000

gsx1400 rear shocks

hi people. Im looking to upgrade the rear shocks on my 2002 gsx1400, has anyone done this and what brand did you go for, price etc

thanks

Bike
    bking, tlr1000

GSX1400 rear shock upgrades?

Hi guys

Im looking to upgrade my rear shocks on the 2002 gsx1400, anyone know the best place to get twin shock upgrades.

thanks

Bike
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by ARNIE View Post
    hi people. Im looking to upgrade the rear shocks on my 2002 gsx1400, has anyone done this and what brand did you go for, price etc

thanks
    Do you want cheap shocks or do you want well engineered and developed shocks that will actually work properly?

Ph: 06 751 2100 * Email: robert@kss.net.nz
    Mob: 021 825 514 * Fax: 06 751 4551

Bike
    mutton dressed up as lamb and a 73 XL250
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Taylor View Post
    Do you want cheap shocks or do you want well engineered and developed shocks that will actually work properly?
    Beat me to it,was going to tell him to drop you a line.
    Be the person your dog thinks you are...

Bike
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by 98tls View Post
    Beat me to it,was going to tell him to drop you a line.
    To elaborate the stock GSX1400 shocks are certainly not the worst performing set of oem twin shocks, by any means. Because of that its very possible to buy low cost aftermarket shocks for these that perform appreciably worse than stock. This is very much a case of ''let the buyer beware''

Bike
    bking, tlr1000
    well basically one of the shocks is leaking oil from it so I thought maybe an upgrade would be best. This is a daily commuter so safety is important but don't want spend large amounts as it not my only toy. I assume these oem shocks are repairable?

Bike
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by ARNIE View Post
    well basically one of the shocks is leaking oil from it so I thought maybe an upgrade would be best. This is a daily commuter so safety is important but don't want spend large amounts as it not my only toy. I assume these oem shocks are repairable?
    Yes indeed they are, providing the shafts are not worn or rust pitted in the seal sweep area they can be repaired at reasonable cost. Unless you are prepared to spend $1400 or upwards on a set of twin shocks that will actually provide improved control and compliance rebuild is your best option.

Bike
    GSA & WR
    As the proud owner of 5 of these great steeds over the years;
    The later model shocks were more reliable and better damped (red springs) than the silver springed version (pretty sure its wasn't just the paint colour check ebay for these remembering buying overseas and or s/h is always a bit of a lottery.

Obviously the after market shocks are many and varied but if you going in that direction I would speak to just one man Rob Taylor from KSS

Bike
    Yamaha XJR1300
    A lot of guys in the UK grab the rear shocks from a wrecked Yamaha XJR1300 for their GSX1400 rear end upgrade. Obviously the Ohlins on the back of the XJRs come in various configurations depending on the year and market the bike was sold in. The best models were the units with 'tool free' rebound, pre load and damping adjustability, they also have +- 10mm ride height adjustment built in.
    There was an XJR being parted at 'Bike busters' in Ngaruawahia a while ago, could check there.

Bike
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Limb View Post
    A lot of guys in the UK grab the rear shocks from a wrecked Yamaha XJR1300 for their GSX1400 rear end upgrade. Obviously the Ohlins on the back of the XJRs come in various configurations depending on the year and market the bike was sold in. The best models were the units with 'tool free' rebound, pre load and damping adjustability, they also have +- 10mm ride height adjustment built in.
    There was an XJR being parted at 'Bike busters' in Ngaruawahia a while ago, could check there.
    Yes that would work. They are a touch shorter though. Absolutely do not purchase the Japanese domestic market ''badge engineered'' Ohlins shocks that actually are not true Ohlins shocks. They were never intended for export out of Japan, then along came the free market. These ones have 12.5mm shafts and some 14mm, the springs are bigger diameter than the genuine product made in Sweden. Also the internal valving is very weak for the 50kg kamikazes riding them and the chrome on the shafts pits easily, rendering them as right offs.
    The genuine Swedish shocks have 12,0mm shafts but also 14mm in the adjustable type.
    With the genuine Swedish shocks on the main cylinder head casting will be stamped or laser etched a YA prefix followed by a 4 number suffix. Not to be confused with a batch code stamping on the opposite side. On receipt of that spec number we can tell you exactly what the shocks are and whats inside them. A reseller that has sincerity will be able to provide you such a spec number if they are genuine Swedish.
    We offer a complimentary service to verify.
    Alternatively we can offer new purpose built Ohlins shocks at a good price. PM me re that as there are people on here with a dutch auction mentality, I believe in a fair price for all parties with old world backup and recirculating the turnover back into the local economy.

Bike
    RSVR-BICILINDRICO
    Have the below type Ohlins on all 4 of my Twin shock bikes .... one is the earlier sort after type with the sand cast heads & the other is the billet CNC type ... Both excellent improvement over stock
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	92.5 KB 
ID:	285104   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	40 
Size:	49.8 KB 
ID:	285105   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	34 
Size:	898.4 KB 
ID:	285106  

SENSEI PERFORMANCE TUNING

" QUICKER THAN YOU SLOWER THAN ME "

Bike
    02 gsx 1400
    Brother there's nothing wrong with the standard shocks except the oil leak you now have.I had the same issue, lucky for me there was a simple fix.
    Go to the "gsx1400.org" and search "shock fix" for a detailed explanation on the how to and the why.If it works for you then yahoo if not then you are still in the same boat.For anything 1400 related this site has it all,helpful friendly fellas too.Also check out the MCN settings they recommend for your suspension.Hope all goes well.

Bike
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by rewdmc View Post
    Brother there's nothing wrong with the standard shocks except the oil leak you now have.I had the same issue, lucky for me there was a simple fix.
    Go to the "gsx1400.org" and search "shock fix" for a detailed explanation on the how to and the why.If it works for you then yahoo if not then you are still in the same boat.For anything 1400 related this site has it all,helpful friendly fellas too.Also check out the MCN settings they recommend for your suspension.Hope all goes well.
    Yes I agree that they are ok shocks. But if you dont have the tools, training, experience and a keen eye for detail dont attempt to rebuild the shocks yourself. Suspension is a major safety item.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by rewdmc View Post
    I just gave that a read. Nice site. Easy fix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    ES XTZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Limb View Post
    This would be the go, or the 'ORG' fix then the 05 (?) onwards red spring type - i would still try the max to min range on the pre load on the red spring if kms cant be verified.

Earlier this year a friend of mine bought a wrecked XJR that had Yoshi shocks which included ride height adjustment, he hadnt noticed them but i did and let my other mate know with his 02 turbo that had worn shocks, i knew they would fit (straight swap) so they did a deal and swap.
    I never new Yoshimura made twin shocks.

Thread Information