Thread: 2014 TT2000 tips wanted

Bike
    Concours 14, S10
    Quote Originally Posted by yod View Post
    you can start in palmy???

Why yes I can...

Bike
    2016 Honda ST1300,86/87 XJ900F,
    Spent a good few hours on google maps and Tyre working out various options.

The reduction in point to 35000 seems much more achievable for someone like myself who has not attempted an event like this before.

Had a ride out to find some of the north island checkpoints to get a feel of how well the gps would hone into them. Good fun abut 400kms and getting my head around the idea.

Spot Points here

Starting in Palmy but not sure if I should head to south island Friday or Saturday . Would like to spend more time down south so I make aim to head down for early Sat ferry.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Do you guys run drinking systems?

I dehydrate fast on long rides.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    Concours 14, S10
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post

I've got a camelbak but so far never used it. I'm the same and reckon drinking is more important than eating on a decent ride. The TT is pretty cruisy so you've got plenty of time to stop for a drink (gotta stop for those pics anyway). Otherwise the bike and I have a drink every 350km.

Biggest thing is not to stress and just enjoy the ride.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by banditrider View Post
    I've got a camelbak but so far never used it. I'm the same and reckon drinking is more important than eating on a decent ride. The TT is pretty cruisy so you've got plenty of time to stop for a drink (gotta stop for those pics anyway). Otherwise the bike and I have a drink every 350km.

Biggest thing is not to stress and just enjoy the ride.
    Im not thinking on the TT but for my long rides. I dehydrate fast. I have ended up in hospital more than once because of it. I use a camel back for offroad and its great but hate having stuff on my back on the road bike.

Bike
    2017 Suzuki Dl1000
    Quote Originally Posted by biggo View Post
    .Starting in Palmy but not sure if I should head to south island Friday or Saturday . Would like to spend more time down south so I make aim to head down for early Sat ferry.

I'm also considering a Palmy start. Some of those NI checkpoints are places I haven't visited before. I also want to get the mystery checkpoint in SI, so Like you I would look at an early saturday crossing back to the south island. Maybe the 2:25 am interislander or 8:00 am Bluebridge. I note the early morning Bluebridge doesn't operate on Saturdays.
    Time to ride

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Im not thinking on the TT but for my long rides. I dehydrate fast. I have ended up in hospital more than once because of it. I use a camel back for offroad and its great but hate having stuff on my back on the road bike.
    You should also hydrate the day before, in prep for the following day. Can't remember the specifics, but did it during my cycling days.

If you have no need for the toilet, then you are definitely not drinking enough. Each person is different and will require hydration in varying levels. I have a hydrabak, but also find I can carry bottles and drink at stops. I don't dehydrate very quickly on a long road ride, but will need more during adventure riding.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    '15 VStrom 650, 1983 BMW R80G/S

I used a camel back on the 2012 ride and didn't bother with it on the 2013 version. If you dehydrate fast then just stop every 100km's, open you bag, have a swig of water and get underway again. As long as you are organised and repeat the same movements every drink stop you'll be underway in about 1 minute.
    To anyone that ever told you you’re no good… They’re no better.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    You should also hydrate the day before, in prep for the following day. Can't remember the specifics, but did it during my cycling days.

If you have no need for the toilet, then you are definitely not drinking enough. Each person is different and will require hydration in varying levels. I have a hydrabak, but also find I can carry bottles and drink at stops. I don't dehydrate very quickly on a long road ride, but will need more during adventure riding.
    Yes I do the pre-hydrate thing. But I can go from ok to bad in half an hour. I may just get a tank bag and do the short stops. Chuck a hose on the bottle so I dont need to take me helmet off.

Then again I could just use a throttle lock and do it on the move. Also ex-cyclist.

Bike
    C50T Boulevard, DR250S
    Then again I could just use a throttle lock and do it on the move. Also ex-cyclist.
    A pump bottle fits neatly in between the handle bars and screen, and I have a flip front helmet.

Replenish and ride (not on the open road, only in the lower speed area's around the towns).

I buy a product for the guys at work called Squincher. It rehydrates, replaces electrolytes and is sugar free.

The Boulevard has a small tank with a V-twin thirst so I'm stopping every 200km anyway.

Bike
    A
    But I can go from ok to bad in half an hour.
    That statement there is the worrying one...and yet you wanna contemplate an endurance race...sorry...ride?

Many moons ago I employed the tankbag and a sucky hose thingeemajig. I suppose this was before the old camelback became an acceptable accessory for non-sporting applications

Nowadays I just stop every couple of hours to fuel the bike and the body

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
    That statement there is the worrying one...and yet you wanna contemplate an endurance race...sorry...ride?

Many moons ago I employed the tankbag and a sucky hose thingeemajig. I suppose this was before the old camelback became an acceptable accessory for non-sporting applications

Nowadays I just stop every couple of hours to fuel the bike and the body
    Sorry, I dont want to do the TT. It was a general question to those that do the long rides.

These days I have a better understanding of whats going on and I drink a lot more.

Bike
    2008 Honda ST 1300
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up

I have only just noticed this thread. I am registered. I am starting at Bunnythorpe on the Friday evening. I am heading straight out to collect the north Island 500 pointer. Looking to end up in Masterton on Friday night at about 10 pm having done about 270 kms.
    I am going to spend most of Saturday in the North Island clocking up another 700 kms. and catching the 6.30 pm Interislander on Saturday evening. I will stay over in Blenheim planning to be on the road at about 4.30 am. heading straight down to Westport collecting any points I pass on the way. I will then head north for the point points fest including the mystery check point. I will then come back to Christchurch over the Lewis Pass including a swing around through Darfeild. I am aiming to finish at about 5.30 pm. on the Sunday.
    Just a word of caution it might be wise to book your ferry crossing sooner rather than later. I left my ferry booking until early this month. When I first looked there were no places available on the 6.30 sailing on the Saturday. I checked again later to find that extra places had been allocated and I managed to get my booking in place.

4 Wheels move the body. 2 Wheels move the soul

Bike
    Concours 14, S10

Bike
    2016 Honda ST1300,86/87 XJ900F,
    Only 2 weeks to go now

Done a few practice runs around the North Island checkpoints to get my head around a routine at checkpoints. All good a couple of 600 km runs over the last few weeks.

Have decided to do my whole rally in South Island now due to uncertainty with Ferry's . Got my routes locked in accommodation booked fuel stops planned so should be good to go.

Lets hope the weather gods are kind to us now

Thread Information