Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 TT2000 tips wanted

Bike
    2016 Honda ST1300,86/87 XJ900F,

2014 TT2000 tips wanted

Just registered for next years TT2000 http://www.tt2000.org/index.html .

Never done this before so look forward to getting glued to my google maps for any spare time i get

You can start in North or South island this year so I think Palmy start makes sense to me.

Any tips on getting through an event like this from the hardened endurance rider welcomed

Bike
    Pure coolness...
    The likes of these rides have always interested me.
    I will have to give it a go one day...
    Harley Davidson: The most efficient way to convert gasoline into noise without the side effects of horsepower.

'Fast' Harleys are only fast compared to stock Harleys.

Bike
    Concours 14, S10
    Quote Originally Posted by biggo View Post
    Just registered for next years TT2000 http://www.tt2000.org/index.html .

Never done this before so look forward to getting glued to my google maps for any spare time i get

You can start in North or South island this year so I think Palmy start makes sense to me.

Any tips on getting through an event like this from the hardened endurance rider welcomed
    The FJ will love it! Just plan your route carefully, in terms of timings I budget on 80km/h average speed (usually beat this but it's good to have time up ya sleeve). I can usually do 1,000km in 12.5hrs easily with a decent lunch break and all stops included. More stops = longer ride (funny that). Drink plenty, cruise at an easy pace for you.

Looking forward to it and definitely starting at Palmy.

Bike
    2004 SV1K
    All going to plan im hoping to do this one

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    What sort of riding do you typically do? If it's 2-300km a day, then do some longer stuff, so you know what you're getting into. KoroJ on here organises the Capital 1000km Cruise (C1KC) from Wellington (main start) along with a few other places in the lower north island. You cover 1000km in a single day, cruising around the lower part of the island. I'd recommend doing that as a good taster, and you should be more familiar with the roads.

The bike should happily do it, make sure you have good rubber so you won't wear the tyre out mid trip, and give it a good service. You, make sure you keep hydrated and eating good food. Coffee and energy drinks are to be avoided. Stay warm and dry, so your body doesn't expend energy trying to keep you warm.

On average, it's 1000km a day, but you can bite off a chunk on Friday evening as well. In 2013 it was a cruisy one for me, close on to 200km on Friday, 1200km ish on Saturday and then a Sunday pootle of 600km, finishing mid afternoon.

Half the fun of the event is absorbed in mapping programs refining a chosen route (or 5).
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    2016 Honda ST1300,86/87 XJ900F,
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    What sort of riding do you typically do? If it's 2-300km a day, then do some longer stuff, so you know what you're getting into. (or 5).
    Often do 4-500km rides without too much problem. Can ride non stop between fuel stops enjoy just keeping a steady pace, past riding like a hero

KoroJ on here organises the Capital 1000km Cruise (C1KC) from Wellington (main start) along with a few other places in the lower north island. You cover 1000km in a single day, cruising around the lower part of the island. I'd recommend doing that as a good taster, and you should be more familiar with the roads. (or 5).
    Sounds like a great idea I will put my name down for that one too.

The bike should happily do it, make sure you have good rubber so you won't wear the tyre out mid trip, and give it a good service. You, make sure you keep hydrated and eating good food. Coffee and energy drinks are to be avoided. Stay warm and dry, so your body doesn't expend energy trying to keep you warm. (or 5).
    Bike should be ok did 8500kms over 3 weeks with a friend from UK this summer no problems. New Rubber will be fitted 4500kms in the south Island certainly took the edges off my tyres

On average, it's 1000km a day, but you can bite off a chunk on Friday evening as well. In 2013 it was a cruisy one for me, close on to 200km on Friday, 1200km ish on Saturday and then a Sunday pootle of 600km, finishing mid afternoon.

Half the fun of the event is absorbed in mapping programs refining a chosen route (or 5).

Bike
    2017 Suzuki Dl1000
    I like the look of some of those North Island check points, so I may decide to start at Palmy North as well. I'll need to check on the ferry crossing crossing times though as there is no way I would spend all day saturday in the North island and miss those west coast points.
    Time to ride

Bike
    Concours 14, S10
    You're not wrong - I think I had 8 routes worked out this year. Ended up taking 2 with me so we could choose which day to do the East Coast or West coast depending on weather. Weather ended up being a non issue - superb!

Bike
    I think they should have gone for a mystery checkpoint that took more than 4 minutes on Google to identify.

Do they have those every year?

Bike
    2017 Suzuki Dl1000
    Quote Originally Posted by Ender EnZed View Post
    I think they should have gone for a mystery checkpoint that took more than 4 minutes on Google to identify.

Do they have those every year?
    Damn. And here I was thinking I'd be the only rider to know where it was.
    Time to ride

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ender EnZed View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jantar View Post
    Damn. And here I was thinking I'd be the only rider to know where it was.
    Throw a dog a bone

First year they have had a mystery checkpoint.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    C50T Boulevard, DR250S
    I've completed the TT2000 for the last 3 years.

The 2014 route options and 45,000 points is quite a big ask.
    Mt White (5,000pts) has 40km of gravel and 2 or 3 fords.
    Bulwer (3,000pts) 73km of gravel

By my calculations .........

* 30+ hours on the bike
    * Approximately 40 checkpoint stops

This is assuming I stay in the South Island and avoid long gravel roads.

There's lots of Google Map and GPS time to be spent between now and February 2014

Bike
    2017 Suzuki Dl1000
    I've been considering taking the DR this time instead of the GSX for around 25 hrs riding. Might have to make the seat a bit more comfy though.
    Time to ride

Bike
    '15 VStrom 650, 1983 BMW R80G/S
    Email rec'd from Mike 8.05pm 2nd August - points requirement reduced to 35000. As I'll be heading up north in December I'll be sticking to the South Island.
    To anyone that ever told you you’re no good… They’re no better.

Bike
    '14 Multistrada 1200S
    Quote Originally Posted by banditrider View Post
    The FJ will love it! Just plan your route carefully, in terms of timings I budget on 80km/h average speed (usually beat this but it's good to have time up ya sleeve). I can usually do 1,000km in 12.5hrs easily with a decent lunch break and all stops included. More stops = longer ride (funny that). Drink plenty, cruise at an easy pace for you.

Looking forward to it and definitely starting at Palmy.
    you can start in palmy???

F M S

Thread Information