Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EFI retrofit. No shit.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries

EFI retrofit. No shit.

anyone done one? Anyone import kits or bits?
    Looking at fuel only, probably bolt on/carby swap, rather than port injection...

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    anyone done one? Anyone import kits or bits?
    Looking at fuel only, probably bolt on/carby swap, rather than port injection...
    For what?

Look up ecotrons, two guys here have bought kits, there's a thread about them
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Haltech was originally designed for drag race / speedway sidecar jap inline 4 motors.
    The older systems are pretty basic but, as Kickaha says, what is the intended application?
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    4g54 was the thinking.

Ecotrons seem to do ignition too- way too much fking around.
    Basicaly want bolt on TB.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    there are expensive holley kits and some ez-fast kits, which sound more liek it... But, who in nz?

Bike
    Honda VF750f.
    Get a fuel injection unit from a ozzy mitzy magna, should be plenty of them still around.
    For a man is a slave to whatever has mastered him. Keep an open mind, just dont let your brains fall out.

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    My son put a Haltech F7B (?) on a 12A madza - worked sorta ok, has sensors for intake temp, water temp, engine RPMs and throttle position. Tune it (roll your own maps) by connecting an old DOS PC via serial port. He's now got a later F9 (IIRC) and its a bit more sophisticated, interfaces with the ignition (ie advance/retard) better. Uses the stock mazda (Mx5) fuel pump.

Lots of stuff on trademe - how much do you want to spend? (I know, fuck all and a packet of chips)
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    2001 RF400RV
    Haven't done a full retrofit but I do have a decent amount of experience in EFI systems, with the turbo prelude and what have you I've done a bit.

How electrically inclined are you? I've built a megasquirt ECU before, they have a fuel only mode or can do the whole deal if you want it to. At $150 US if you know what you're doing it's CHEAP

http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/m...ase-p-128.html

But you do have to kinda know what you're doing with a soldering iron, it literally comes as a blank board if you order the DIY kit. Assembled it obviously costs more like an extra hundy US. It will do what you're looking for though, the question then lies with if you're willing to pick up the knowledge on how to tune or getting someone to do it. To tune you need someone with a wideband or buy one yourself. This is about 250 US. All this kinda shit sorta comes out of the US so I use US $ a lot when talking about this shit.

Failing that there is other systems, Haltech, MAP, LINK. I've got a MAP in the shop right now and run a Link Plus on the prelude.

Depending on the system you can get it to tune itself if you set target air fuel ratios and just cycle it through the load cells and make the right adjustments to fine tune. You NEED a wideband and laptop datalogging to do this though, or else you need a tuner/dyno and that's not cheap. I'm assuming you don't have a wideband, I'd seriously consider getting one. The controller is what kills but once you have that you can run it all the time if you so wish, or just pop a narrowband back in....or none at all. You really want to tap into the engine temp and throw an air temp sensor in the mix to but that's easy. In my mind a bolt on throttle body isn't going to be that easy, there will be some messing around unless your engine is something that has a ready solution, much like carb swapping you have to know your ratios and that means popping a wideband in on the dyno or installing one yourself to be sure. Although you could basemap it an maybe get away with it, won't be optimal though. My ecu if you input parameters will make a ballpark map which does run it if a bit rich/lean in spots.

How much you willing to spend?

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Mitsi injected that motor, get the system from one of them I reckon.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    1- L200*
    2- yes i know, but aftermarket is better/ newer tech
    3- megasquirt was the other i came across, didnt realise they that cheap. Im proficient with pcb soldering. I miss my old gas iron. Thankfully my 12v one is excellent.
    Afaik, they needed tps, maf, temp and a coupl other things, autotuned off the maf...
    4-has mechanical fuel pump atm, guessing it wont give me 50lb on a rail...

Bike
    Honda VF750f.
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    4-has mechanical fuel pump atm, guessing it wont give me 50lb on a rail...
    I doubt it very much. Easy enough to install another tank with a pump in it though. Sounds like an interesting project.
    For a man is a slave to whatever has mastered him. Keep an open mind, just dont let your brains fall out.

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Those motors are better off at the bottom of the sea anyway. Put a V3000 motor in it, Pajero clutch and bellhousing. Boom, great car. Cost you less than a grand.

Bike
    Honda VF750f.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Those motors are better off at the bottom of the sea anyway. Put a V3000 motor in it, Pajero clutch and bellhousing. Boom, great car. Cost you less than a grand.
    Since when is an L200 a car ya muppet.

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Quote Originally Posted by unstuck View Post
    Since when is an L200 a car ya muppet.
    You know what I meant fuck ya.

I had three of those, I would buy them with a cracked head, and repower with a 4G63.

Bike
    Honda VF750f.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    You know what I meant fuck ya.

I had three of those, I would buy them with a cracked head, and repower with a 4G63.
    Me too, just got rid of my last one last week.
    Was nicknamed Bently, If you would of seen it you would understand why.

Thread Information