Thread: Yamaha R6 2007 fault code 18, keeps coming up. Can anyone help?

Bike
    07 yamaha r6 and 08 kdx200

Yamaha R6 2007 fault code 18, keeps coming up. Can anyone help?

heya all

fault code 18 has come up on a ride today
    did a bit of googling and its a sticky or blocked exup valve removed side cover of exhaust and gave ex up cabling a lube
    and looked down exhaust with torch valve is shut,
    engine idles fine and rides ok
    light has just gone off again and was only on for 10minutes but have a track day next weekend so need to sort this week

anyone up for a cashy to take a look or can help me out with what i should do next

cheers

Ewen

Bike
    Girlz bikes rule :-)

Thumbs up

Do a bit more googling and I bet you will find that most bin the exup, even if you disconnect the cables the valve will stay permanently open.

Most forums will have a step by step how to.

Bike
    so you remove it then buy a ex up eliminator for $70 off trademe
    is there any gains to this or will a 5min lube and adjust rectify the problem

Bike
    Girlz bikes rule :-)

Smile

You don't have to take it out just disconnect it The benefit is that the stupid thing will never play up again. I did this to all my Triumph 675's as they always faulted. You don't need it as they off no benefit to you. Like I aid a good forum will give you a nice step by step.

Bike
    so un hook the cables and it will stay open all the time and not throw any codes ?

Bike
    08R6 Race bike
    Quote Originally Posted by yamahar6 View Post
    so un hook the cables and it will stay open all the time and not throw any codes ?
    Yes (Short Version): http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113714 <--- do this (except do a neater job of the soldering), $70 for a resistor and a capacitor "eliminator" is stupid money. if you're not keen or dont have the tools message me and I'll do it for you for a box of beer

Yes (long version):

There's a little black box under your seat. Inside the black box there's a servo motor, these pull on the cables that go to the butterfly valve in the exhaust.

When the ecu sends a signal to to servo the ECU receives feedback on whether the servo worked or not.

You wont notice any difference in the bike if the exup system was banished to another dimension.

With that in mind you can unhook the cables that run from the box to the butterfly valve, this releases the tension allowing the servo to do whatever it wants. The valve will stay open, and you wont notice a thing.

If the fault is caused because the servo itself has died, or you want to be a bit more tidy you can follow this guide: http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113714

The resistor and capacitor appear to the ECU to be the same as a servo, so the ECU keeps going about its business.

You can buy resistors and caps from jaycar, just ask staff for a hand, they will probably cost you like $4 all up and come in packs of 5 or something.
    Can I scream?

Bike
    cheers for your advise id be keen to take you up on your offer

tell me wat you drink and when you want to do it
    and ill source the beers and parts and bring bike over or can do it at mine got enuf tools to do it but dont feel confident doing it on my own

i sprayed the butterfly and the mechanism with crc last night and just started her up and shes working now and light gone off but i wouldnt mind betting she is just going to cause me the same issues a month down the track and i think the cables have to much play aswell and need adjustment im out of my depth

you got a contact number?

cheers

Ewen

Bike
    08R6 Race bike
    Quote Originally Posted by yamahar6 View Post
    cheers for your advise id be keen to take you up on your offer

tell me wat you drink and when you want to do it
    and ill source the beers and parts and bring bike over or can do it at mine got enuf tools to do it but dont feel confident doing it on my own

i sprayed the butterfly and the mechanism with crc last night and just started her up and shes working now and light gone off but i wouldnt mind betting she is just going to cause me the same issues a month down the track and i think the cables have to much play aswell and need adjustment im out of my depth

you got a contact number?

cheers

Ewen
    Check your private messages under notifications up the top.
    Can I scream?

Thread Information