Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rider and static sag?

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Taylor View Post
    How is the Ohlins mechatronic suspension working for you?
    Perfick. Read about some issues guys are having in the USA, Ohlins recalled the product and stuff, but bar that initial issue, where I had to re-plug the OEM gear, it hasn't missed a beat. I've done about 18,000km since we fitted it, 1 up, 2 up, with or without luggage and loving having good suspension while keeping the riding modes. Even had a technicial official comment about how well the bike handled during one event, when we were doing a final check before opening the roads and doing up to 100kph in 50kph residential areas.

I would have done more kilometres if it wasn't for Felix (that you know) bloody riding on the other side of the world and leaving me to do all the work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    Well its adjusted half way through its preload so I can adjust the preload off a bit and check both sags. What should the free sag be?
    25-30mm range. BUT, this assumes that the low speed damping is up to the task in providing at least adequate dynamic ride height control. If the fork works ''better'' with a lesser figure it arguably proves that you are adding more spring preload as a ''fudge'' to compensate for a damping issue. As with anything there are so many variables

Ph: 06 751 2100 * Email: robert@kss.net.nz
    Mob: 021 825 514 * Fax: 06 751 4551

Bike
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    Perfick. Read about some issues guys are having in the USA, Ohlins recalled the product and stuff, but bar that initial issue, where I had to re-plug the OEM gear, it hasn't missed a beat. I've done about 18,000km since we fitted it, 1 up, 2 up, with or without luggage and loving having good suspension while keeping the riding modes. Even had a technicial official comment about how well the bike handled during one event, when we were doing a final check before opening the roads and doing up to 100kph in 50kph residential areas.

I would have done more kilometres if it wasn't for Felix (that you know) bloody riding on the other side of the world and leaving me to do all the work.
    Great news! If there ever are any issues / minor niggles etc please don't hesitate to let me know

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    25-30mm range. BUT, this assumes that the low speed damping is up to the task in providing at least adequate dynamic ride height control. If the fork works ''better'' with a lesser figure it arguably proves that you are adding more spring preload as a ''fudge'' to compensate for a damping issue. As with anything there are so many variables
    Cheers. Its close enough for me. It will change anyway when I put a stronger spring in the back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    A few
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    Cheers. Its close enough for me. It will change anyway when I put a stronger spring in the back.
    I do like this topic of conversation ! The science of tyres and suspension intrigues me, of course just having classics and an old evo massey ferguson now, with no clickers etc, makes it very interesting getting things right lol
    After having some RT fettling of the masseys bottom and playing with emulators up front i probably have (arguably) one of the better handling masseys in the group !
    A girlfriend once asked " Why is it you seem to prefer to race, than spend time with me ?"
    The answer was simple ! "I'll prolly get bored with racing too, once i've nailed it !"

Bowls can wait !

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Suffice to say also ( irrespective that I sell suspension! ) that the tiny rear shock on that bike is going to struggle with all that extra load you have rattled off
    You may have a point Robert, I can reach the rear shock with the C spanner at a stretch, but it leaves no room for preload adjustment of said shock. Conclusion is, the rear shock is set at (and will stay at) the factory setting.
    We had a reasonably horror time on the road in cold wet conditions yesterday loaded and two up, one major slip and about 5 tweaks, one small slip on Saturday in dry/cold conditions. I am changing the tyres that were put on in March and reverting back to PR3's. The reason I say this is because, I have loaded a CB1300 up with a double pack/two tank bags and two-up riding for a week, one day in cold bleak conditions and not once the bike give me cause for concern.

It's my opinion (after thinking on it) that the suspension possibly played a part in the weekends mishaps, but the tyres should have acted way better than they did. The two components have to work well together.

Bike
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by Maha View Post
    You may have a point Robert, I can reach the rear shock with the C spanner at a stretch, but it leaves no room for preload adjustment of said shock. Conclusion is, the rear shock is set at (and will stay at) the factory setting.
    We had a reasonably horror time on the road in cold wet conditions yesterday loaded and two up, one major slip and about 5 tweaks, one small slip on Saturday in dry/cold conditions. I am changing the tyres that were put on in March and reverting back to PR3's. The reason I say this is because, I have loaded a CB1300 up with a double pack/two tank bags and two-up riding for a week, one day in cold bleak conditions and not once the bike give me cause for concern.

It's my opinion (after thinking on it) that the suspension possibly played a part in the weekends mishaps, but the tyres should have acted way better than they did. The two components have to work well together.
    Yes of course access is a big issue with many suspension units, and so often they are left well alone if only to avoid skinning ones knuckles!!!! And it cannot be underestimated just how important careful selection of those black round things is.

The problem is that if you don't adjust spring preload ( and often spring choice rate ) for two up riding with a lot of luggage displaced rearwards there are two real negatives that happen. 1) Because the bike is now riding so low in the rear it ''lazes out'' the steering geometry and takes weight off the front. This destroys contact feel in the front end ( the front end no longer ''talks'' to the rider ) and you also lose mechanical grip. not so good on damp roads. 2) Especially if the rear end has a reasonably progressive linkage it means that straight away at static fully loaded ride height the rear end is already sitting at the more accelerative / aggressive part of the link curve ratio. That means a harsh ride and the passenger will not thank you for that! As a link gets deeper into its stroke it moves the shock shaft further and therefore faster for any given unit distance movement of rear axle movement. As damping is velocity dependent it means that you end up with more damping than you need.

So, if nothing else springing the bike firmer ( a stronger spring ) for such loading scenarios will actually make it both more compliant ( because at ride height it will be working in the more supple part of link movement ) and give it the bottom out / ''g'' out resistance it would otherwise lack. A firmer rate spring correctly chosen will require a lot less preload than a soft spring. This shows quite clearly on a spring force curve graph, mapping spring rate against spring preload. Less initial force but more end force

As a short cut to the laborious / tedious act of measuring sag ( requiring at least 3 people to do so properly) we suggest that the rider gets a feel for how much bend there is in his / her knees when sitting on the bike solo on a flat surface, both feet on the ground ( with usual riding footwear on ) You merely have to achieve that same degree of bend in your knees when you add passenger and all your worldly goods! So you are maintaining exactly the same static ride height.

There is always a common misconception that if you add spring preload or a firmer spring to restore ride height with a passenger and baggage that you also have to slow down the rebound to compensate. Consider though that because you are adding weight to the back of the bike there is more weight resisting return to static ride height. So, to a degree it all compensates.

Thread Information