Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 4 all you computer geeks out there...HELP

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashika
    not a brand name, it's an Athlon (forgotton what else it had, I'm at work and it is at home so cant check), was built by a local company here in chch
    I have done very little to it, apart from change the cdwriter to a dvd writer about a year ago and installing a TV card at the same time.

It still has the std video card that came with it...I'm not one for upgrading much really
    Look through the pile of manuals you will have got for it, and find out what brand and model the motherboard is.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    N/a
    prety much the same as everyone else said.

The number of beeps is quite important. also the length of the beeps too

ie 4 short beeps could be say system timer failure
    or 3 short and one long could say memory.

pays to have a look around for the manuals if you have em

and yea do watch out for static. you can fry components without even feeling it.

Bike
    Buell XB12R
    Quote Originally Posted by MOTOXXX
    prety much the same as everyone else said.

The number of beeps is quite important. also the length of the beeps too

ie 4 short beeps could be say system timer failure
    or 3 short and one long could say memory.

pays to have a look around for the manuals if you have em

and yea do watch out for static. you can fry components without even feeling it.
    yep I hunted out the bios beeps errors and absolutely nothing for 4 short beeps on any other brands I looked under...lots for any other combination but not 4 short beeps
    "Do not meddle in the affairs of Buells, for they are subtle and quick to wheelie!"
    --J RR1000 Tolkien

yank tank at Glenorchy 2006 rally

Bike
    06 10 WITH ALL THE FANCY BITS
    4 beeps with an AMI bios = The system clock/timer IC has failed or there is a memory error in the first bank of memory

1 long, 3 short with AMI BIOS = Memory test failure. A fault has been detected in memory above 64KB

Try resetting the cmos - turn off the computer, unplug it from the wall, pull out that little silver battery and leave it for about 10 mins (edit: then don't forget to put it back in )

I'm guessing ram faliure.. happens every now and then and causes a crap load of random problems in totally unrelated hardware untill the ram is replaced.
    Try borrowing some ram off a friend and swapping the modules around - eliminate problems.

And with static, the static problem with IC's is very rare in New Zealand due to atmospheric conditions. In Australia/South Africa etc if you even touch a mother board you usually fry it straight away while in NZ, myself and many other people in the computer industry handle components by hand without static straps etc.

Rubbing the ram modules is elevating the risk alot though crashe

Bike
    Various
    What do you wipe the memory sticks with?

Bike
    Buell XB12R
    Quote Originally Posted by tristank
    4 beeps with an AMI bios = The system clock/timer IC has failed or there is a memory error in the first bank of memory

1 long, 3 short with AMI BIOS = Memory test failure. A fault has been detected in memory above 64KB

Try resetting the cmos - turn off the computer, unplug it from the wall, pull out that little silver battery and leave it for about 10 mins (edit: then don't forget to put it back in )

I'm guessing ram faliure.. happens every now and then and causes a crap load of random problems in totally unrelated hardware untill the ram is replaced.
    Try borrowing some ram off a friend and swapping the modules around - eliminate problems.

And with static, the static problem with IC's is very rare in New Zealand due to atmospheric conditions. In Australia/South Africa etc if you even touch a mother board you usually fry it straight away while in NZ, myself and many other people in the computer industry handle components by hand without static straps etc.

Rubbing the ram modules is elevating the risk alot though crashe
    hmm...I might be able to manage this
    resetting the cmos bit I mean...forget the rubbing bit static not good.
    Ta for you help guys!
    "Do not meddle in the affairs of Buells, for they are subtle and quick to wheelie!"
    --J RR1000 Tolkien

yank tank at Glenorchy 2006 rally

Bike
    06 10 WITH ALL THE FANCY BITS
    I wouldn't reccomend it at all really.... if you must make sure it is not wool/anything else that can cause static (you know you rub it and put it around your hair and it sticks etc) so test and see if they can generate static first.

The chances are extremely low but heightened when you rub them... thats all.

Blowing on them can get rid of larger particles, but won't get rid of it all.... but dust won't usually cause much of a problem untill you get a large amount, so try blowng the socket where the ram plugs into as well.

Bike
    Ducati M750/ MotoFXR
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashika
    I think my PC is dying.

When powering it up, after about 3-4 secs it gives a beep beep beep beep and powers off...any clues?? Its about 2.5 years old.
    Meh! Thats nothing, mine would play a little song, repeat it again, and then beep three times before going dead. Twas a dead power supply.
    My daughter telling me like it is:
    "There is an old man in your face daddy!"

Bike
    N/a
    Quote Originally Posted by CaN
    What do you wipe the memory sticks with?
    memory sticks wipe themselvs

once a computer is turned off all the info in the ram is lost.

or do u mean rom?

Thread Information