Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Stupid Temptation

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Can't help it... it's turning into a favourite past time

Came across an very interesting shootout for this year: http://www.ridermagazine.com/manufac...-shootout.htm/ (while uh, reading the Concourse Owners Group forum)

BMWs on top, then Triumph, then Yamaha and Kawasaki tied at the bottom.

So (in case anyone is actually seriously considering options), here are my thoughts.

Kawasaki Concours 14
    Looks bloody sexy in my opinion, stonking motor, heat issues have been addressed. Let down by a small fuel capacity, no cruise control, handling may be dubious. The last can be fixed obviously, then again, at those dollars so could the cruise control. Factory fitted cruise would require a shift to fly by wire I believe, first gen of that may not be executed too well. The next release could be interesting.

Honda ST1300
    Oldest of the group, no heated grips, cruise control, traction control (debatable if required) and basically showing it's age all round. Price is fantastic however, reflected in lack of features but the large fuel tank keeps it at arms length (or is that a long walk ) from its competitors. Oddball tyres limit options for someone who is picky about their tyres. Plenty of people are waiting to see it's replacement.

Yamaha FJR1300
    Brand new for this year, packing quite a punch in features, cruise control, heated grips, adjustable seat height and a decent tank capacity of 25L. I don't like how it looks, the wind protection is a little lacking and I'm not sure about a suitable dealer, as most Yamaha reps in Auckland at least, have closed down over the last few years. Dealer support and relationship is crucial for me and I'll rule a bike out on dealer alone. Apparently Yamaha advises panniers OR top box, as both might exceed weight limits... uh... that's damn stupid.

BMW R1200RT
    An old favourite for reviews, puzzling how on paper it shouldn't beat its competitors and yet almost always does. All the fruit like cruise control, heated grips etc plus electronic suspension it's one of the lightest options with excellent balance and low speed handling as well as handling in general. Its long term maintenance costs are its achilles heal, including the cops (clutch jobs are inevitable for them and expensive). The likes of Kawasaki focus on these aspects as they fight for their cut of the police bike market. The biggest issue for me is... what does the RT offer over the GSA? Cruise control would be one of the biggest, but you lose features from the GSA instead. As mentioned, this is what shuts down the comparison every time. I'm also interested in the new model which should launch in the next year or two (and spy shots have been published already).

BMW K1600GT
    I'd always ruled out on cost alone, but they've come down in price and 2nd hand ones are hitting the market. However, these have suffered some teething issues (who buys a year one BMW anyway) around gearbox and jerky throttle. It's also the biggest heaviest bike of the options, but just look at the videos of Chris Pfeiffer stunting it... The bike is capable alright. I want it's headlight (and maybe the RT replacement will have it). Like the other BMW, it's a BMW so maintenance isn't cheap, but then the GSA, while more costly than a jap has also been rock solid when I've done stupid things that would have broken other bikes...

So uh... once again, got a GSA
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    None any more
    Nice summary.

We differ in that I can't stand BMWs. Uglier than ugly things, although that seems to be encouraged by their "designers". Even the supersports model looks like Colonel Klink. I don't like telelink suspension, or oil-burning boxer engines, or shaft-drives that go squiffy, or turning indicators that require three switches to activate, or unreliable skyhook suspension. For starters. Then there's the price of the unreliable things.

The K1600 is lunacy at $45,000. That's the same as two NEW ST1300s, and the ST1300s would never need a warranty claim.

Yamaha has always had that rear loading nonsense about panniers or topbox on the FJR. I've done many thousands of kilometres with all three loaded, and a pillion on board. They're that well made that the warranty is irrelevant, unlike a BMW.

The worst feature about the ST1300 is riding one in a big cross-wind. Fuck. Me. And the whining cams. That's my job.

The Concours looks bloody silly with the standard muffler on. Standard suspension leaves a bit to be desired, as does fuel range. However with some suspension mods, these are hard to beat.
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Good points Hitch, some notes.

BMW
    The Telelever suspension is something you have to get used to and trust. I remember switching from normal forks to the BMW and thinking what the hell is going on, but now it feels natural. Switch blocks are in the process of... switching... over. The new GS has a conventional layout. Issues are also being reported with their switch blocks however. Doesn't look like the 1600 is $46k (for the GT at least) any more, so lets hope the price returns to a more sane level. Still, its competitor is a Goldwing, and that puts it into perspective... I don't want one of those! Sportsbikes are supposed to be pretty, so no idea why it's so ugly with mismatched headlights.

The ST1300 does have some well known issues, but there is a lot less going on, and fixes are a lot cheaper. Good point on the whine, I forgot to mention it. Last weekend on an IAM social run, 3 of us had comms, one on an ST1300, and we had a intercom call running between all of us. Whine was present throughout the call, fark, imagine being on top of it.

Standard muffler on the Concours is definitely silly. Too long. For me however, stuff like event riding does need a quieter bike, so any aftermarket option would need a removable baffle so I could quieten as required. Too many want to be loud or louder. Still have the stock can on the GSA and I'd only really aim to replace for weight reduction.

Also for event riding, I need to look at gear ratios. A low first is almost necessary to preserve the clutch. Some of the guys have had to pull out of regular events as the clutch is complaining (and they were STs I think). I can drop to about 12kph on the GSA before I need the clutch to smooth things out. It does depend on the rider of course, and how they handle their machine.
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Austrian and Italian
    Re: K1600.
    Having ridden one, i'd have one. Turbine with wheels.

The gearbox, I dont think it's broken, I think it has been designed like that. Rushing a shift will result in a clonk and shudder. If you relax and put your head into cruise mode it's as smooth as silk. But that's kinda counter-intuitive when you've got that engine beneath you. and WHAT an engine. Nom nom nom.

New GSA looks mean

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    New GSA looks mean
    Has a smaller tank I imagine they reckon it will be more fuel efficient, so lets decrease the tank size.

I didn't like the old GS, but loved the GSA, sorta looked purposeful. Both new ones are pretty ugly...

Bike
    Austrian and Italian
    They look AWESOME.
    The only details i've seen about the new Adv is comparing it to the current GS. I want to see compared to the old Adv.
    How bike in litres is the new tank?

Bike
    2015 R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    30 litres for the new GSA, 20 in the new GS.

Bike
    Austrian and Italian
    Hmm, I wonder what the actual volume is.

Using my '06 GSA as an example - specs say 33L, but you can get 36L in there if you pull the rubber bung out of the top...

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    Hmm, I wonder what the actual volume is.

Using my '06 GSA as an example - specs say 33L, but you can get 36L in there if you pull the rubber bung out of the top...
    The newer GSA (not waterhead) couldn't be modified in the same way, so I'm thinking (depending on what the new GS is like) it probably can't be modified much.

That said, fill right into the neck if you're riding immediately, and it's somewhere between 36 - 38L. Sure makes the counter guy look twice

Bike
    2004 R1200GS
    the new f800 gsa has good reviews in Aussie
    Him mit der R1200 Bayerische Motoren Werke Gelende Strasse

Bike
    900 Hornet, Preddy, RZ's, A100's
    Blog Entries
    I've always wondered what bike ol'Gremlin would get next after this current ride goes kablooey! I guess he can just keep riding his until it does!
    "I like to ride anyplace, anywhere, any time, any way!"

Bike
    R100GSPD
    i wish they still made the st1200 or a modern version of the r1150 rs.With a biggish tank (the st had a 25 l tank i think) would be a more road oriented gs

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Touring zx14r. 400km range per tank. Sports touring perfection.

Optional rear luggage and tank purse.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	062.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	701.1 KB 
ID:	288455   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cave 001.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	696.7 KB 
ID:	288456  
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gijoe1313 View Post
    I've always wondered what bike ol'Gremlin would get next after this current ride goes kablooey! I guess he can just keep riding his until it does!
    I have never "kablooey'd" a bike thank you very much The cost of the GSA (and select market for one) does mean I'm likely to continue riding it for quite some time. Most buyers would run a mile when they find out a 2010 bike has 80k+ on it (and it basically sat still for the first year).
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWST? View Post
    i wish they still made the st1200 or a modern version of the r1150 rs.
    ST1200?
    Quote Originally Posted by mossy1200 View Post
    Touring zx14r.
    That's not a sentence that makes any sense, how can two such opposite words co-exist?

The Concours does appeal looks wise, but needs some kit like cruise control, better fuel economy and bigger tank. That sort of stuff can't be easily added. Suspension is easily replaced to improve handling etc. The next Concours I think will be one to watch, as it should receive the new updates from the zx14, and if Kawasaki continues to listen to customers, the aforementioned bits are the biggest gripes and will hopefully be sorted.

Bike
    R100GSPD

Thread Information