Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Stupid Temptation

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by mossy1200 View Post
    Touring zx14r. 400km range per tank. Sports touring perfection.

Optional rear luggage and tank purse.
    So whats it like to sit on the trailer at 200? Thats got to be worth a giggle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Cruise control, I have one of these. http://www.fastbikegear.co.nz/index....roducts_id=867

Fooking brilliant. Not as flash as a proper speed controlling system but for $26 its cool.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    How could he know? He can only do 90kph when towing. 40kph if the trailer + load is more than half the weight of the bike...

Cruise control, I have one of these.
    Not perfect, can slip etc... easier to have the manufacturer install a proper one. There are aftermarket solutions, but they're 4 figures
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post

Not perfect, can slip etc... easier to have the manufacturer install a proper one. There are aftermarket solutions, but they're 4 figures
    Agreed. Mine doesnt slip. They come with a black rubber band that you can put under to help hold if needed. But mine stays put without for 10 mins. But for the price well worth it.

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    The guestamation says still stable at 240 and wheelies could occur at 180.
    90 is a sensible speed to travel at.

Idd rate it as more comfortable than my blackbird was.
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    KTM 950ADV,DR750,APRILIA TUONO ,YZ290F
    Blog Entries
    I gona throw a Goldwing spanner into the works, mainly cause they can do 200.000ks without even a whimper so might last you 4 years then you can sell it at the low milliage of 160k leaving plenty for the next rider

PS, would also agree with what one of the other guys said about having multiple bike, I generally ride one for a while till I get a bit bored and then switch to another, you soon start to pine again for the features of one of the others and swap around again. Rode Honda CB1000 Big last weekend, swapped to YZ this weekend and was on DR750 2 weeks before that (KTM is my main ride but am giving it a rest and cant be bothered changing near worn out rear tire yet )

Will fire up Aprilia in a few weeks but its not very good for your License as per example in pic (by the way that's not me officer)
     photo 3d118835-0aaa-403d-be8b-9df2bd0aae83_zps490e7b91.jpg

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 10bikekid View Post
    I gona throw a Goldwing spanner into the works, mainly cause they can do 200.000ks without even a whimper so might last you 4 years then you can sell it at the low milliage of 160k leaving plenty for the next rider
    Wash your mouth out... nah, in all seriousness, the bike has to be more nimble than a Goldwing, it's simply too large for some of the stuff I do. I know they're good for their size in the right hands, but it's still not good enough (ie, 2up u-turns in 3 standard lanes etc.

So I had a ride on a mate's K1300R today, always hankered after them based on performance, sound etc. We swapped after some lunch in Wellsford and headed down SH16, agreeing to swap back at Woodcocks intersection. Funnily enough, neither of us wanted to swap back yet, so carried on to Kaukapakapa. The turbine like power of the K is incredible, gears are really only there to change the sound of the exhaust, as it pulls well in any gear (this probably means tyre life would be ... compromised) and once I used the quickshift properly (after so many normal gear changes, it was really hard to not automatically back off on each change) it was quite the giggle.

Summing up though, it would be a fun additional bike, the long wheelbase makes it super stable, but it wouldn't replace the GSA. Normally, the danger of riding another bike is you realise how great it is and want one. Fortunately in this case, it actually made me love the GSA even more, with the wide bars and Ohlins suspension I've really got it good. After a lot of time and money I've got the bike exactly how I want it. Awesome.

Don't ask me to explain why I keep looking at other bikes then... I think it's just being a biker
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    Wash your mouth out... nah, in all seriousness, the bike has to be more nimble than a Goldwing, it's simply too large for some of the stuff I do. I know they're good for their size in the right hands, but it's still not good enough (ie, 2up u-turns in 3 standard lanes etc.

So I had a ride on a mate's K1300R today, always hankered after them based on performance, sound etc. We swapped after some lunch in Wellsford and headed down SH16, agreeing to swap back at Woodcocks intersection. Funnily enough, neither of us wanted to swap back yet, so carried on to Kaukapakapa. The turbine like power of the K is incredible, gears are really only there to change the sound of the exhaust, as it pulls well in any gear (this probably means tyre life would be ... compromised) and once I used the quickshift properly (after so many normal gear changes, it was really hard to not automatically back off on each change) it was quite the giggle.

Summing up though, it would be a fun additional bike, the long wheelbase makes it super stable, but it wouldn't replace the GSA. Normally, the danger of riding another bike is you realise how great it is and want one. Fortunately in this case, it actually made me love the GSA even more, with the wide bars and Ohlins suspension I've really got it good. After a lot of time and money I've got the bike exactly how I want it. Awesome.

Don't ask me to explain why I keep looking at other bikes then... I think it's just being a biker
    Us Bikers all have similar problems and I rarely take a ride on a bike I don't own, unless I intend to buy it

New watercooled GS might be worth a ride though

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    New watercooled GS might be worth a ride though
    Only the GSA would suit, only gets launched next year. Never own a Year 1 BMW I reckon. Plus they've made the fuel tank smaller...

So I'm at least a couple of years away from interested, plus they're a fortune brand new... So maybe 3 years. With a bit of effort, I could be halfway to putting this one round the clock a second time (sitting at 81k now).

Bike
    GL1800
    Gremlin,

Have you RIDDEN a 'Wing?

Shafty
    "If you haven't grown up by the time you turn 50, you don't have to!"

Bike
    2021 KTM 690 SMC R
    I've put some miles on an RT and I can't see much room for improvement. I've ridden to the edge of the tyres and nothing hard has ever touched down. A dang nice ride- not the best at anything but better than most at everything. For the life of me, I don't understand how anybody out there could say that the GS is a better road bike. With so few long stretches of motorway in NZ I don't consider cruise control all that advantageous but I understand that opinions vary. Just to throw out an unexpected option: the new VFR is looking pretty sweet (been a long time since I could say that). The tank holds 21.5 litres so range won't be a problem. It is another one of those precious few bikes that does everything really well, and when you link a good pipe to the V4 anything it may lack is forgiven.

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-...00f/23894.html

Bike
    Kawasaki 1400 GTR
    I'll chime in here.

I was in the market for a sports tourer and will summarize the ones I was considering it quite simply.

Bike Sport/touring%
    ----------------------------
    FJR. 50/50
    ST13. 40/60
    C14. 60/40

If you want more of a tourer get the honda, boring but then who cares, it's for touring.
    If you want a sportier ride and have more fun with the ability to tour get the kawasaki
    If you want the middle ground option and have a more balanced bike get the yamaha.

I went the kawasaki C14 route. The one and only negative is the fuel tank size. But when using economy mode I can easy get 300km a tank while still enjoying spirited riding. It is so much fun to ride, honestly. The performance is a daily delight. Lack of cruise control is not a problem, well for me anyway.

I think though the FJR is the most balanced of those sports tourers, but the main reason I couldn't consider it is that some test riders complained about the lack of ground clearance around corners and for me that was a huge issue. I love the twisties.

My choice is definitely the kawasaki

The BMW's are amazing, and would love to upgrade one day, but don't think the extra cash is justifiable.

Hope I helped in some way

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Bike
    Blog Entries
    where are the pictures to prove your claims

Bike
    Kawasaki 1400 GTR
    where are the pictures to prove your claims
    Lol, incoming.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1384463796.348100.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	207.4 KB 
ID:	289852
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1384463818.068300.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	218.4 KB 
ID:	289853

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Nice, and since your bike is real I'm out for a morning run tomorrow leaving NSH about 830 heading North up 22 returning home about 2 if your free

Txt, me in the morning if you see this and are keen in case I forget to check back here

Thread Information