Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: XR500 (and similar) legends and lies thread

Bike
    KTM 950ADV,DR750,APRILIA TUONO ,YZ290F
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DR Girl View Post
    Cool pics & stories.
    A baby version of the XR500
    My 1979 XR185. Ordered before the 185 was released in NZ & the first in HB. Nothing like perth gumboots, jeans & an open face for protection
    You should see what I wear now lol !!!

Exactly, my Boss used to go nuts at me turning up at work in my red bands. (and remember regularly flipping my XL250Yellow&Black before work and Him having to bandage me up

Nowadays I wont even ride out of my drive without full body armour

PS, XR185 was a trick bit of kit back then

Bike
    Yamaha MT09 Tracer
    im much the same..feel all wrong if i even go down the road not wearing full gear but back in the day my idea of safety gear was a pair of nomads and a jean jacket i rode from napier to wgtn like that aged 16, started to rain cold as ice in levin so i bought a couple of scoops from a fish'n'chip shop and stuffed it down my jersey front to keep me warm bike was gt250x7

as for xr500s...ive never owned one but always wanted an A model. i had a 250A and was ok at wheelieing it but not enough power. a bloke i sold my a bike to recently told me he wanted a 500A but the napier honda shop wouldnt trade in his gt750 waterbus..so he rode to hastings and did a straight swap on the 'bus for a new ts250er then rode it over to the honda shop and asked to trade it on the xr...which they did! needs must huh
    'the stickiest situation since sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun'

Cpt Edmund Blackadder

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Like the fish and chips Idea

I rode my 74 DT250 from Auckland to Matamata in the dead of winter when I was about 16, swaping my hands on the engine fins to keep any feeling in my hands, on arrival it took me half an hour in front of a roaring fire before could even move my fingers again, nowadays have handguards, super winter gloves and heated grips

All those bikes you mentioned are Cool and I cant imagine someone trading a GT750 on a TS250 today

Bike
    XRV750, DL650, KL250, XR200R
    The things we did back then, In 1972, I rode my new Yammy AG100 2 stroke from Wairoa to kaio (Waaaay up nth) via the east coast, stayed for a couple of days then back down the west coast to New Plymouth then back across to Wairoa. It never missed a beat and that was with a big pack on my back. One of the many trailies Ive had was a Yammy TT500, That was a serious grunter, would be very interesting to match one up against an XR. You can get brand new Chinese made carbs to fit any of the old XRs, Im getting one for my XR200A for about $80, Sick of trying to get the old carb to work properly due to slide and body wear.
    COP, "Ive been waiting to catch you all day"
    BIKER "Sorry officer, I got here as fast as I could"

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Waipukbiker View Post
    The things we did back then, In 1972, I rode my new Yammy AG100 2 stroke from Wairoa to kaio (Waaaay up nth) via the east coast, stayed for a couple of days then back down the west coast to New Plymouth then back across to Wairoa. It never missed a beat and that was with a big pack on my back. One of the many trailies Ive had was a Yammy TT500, That was a serious grunter, would be very interesting to match one up against an XR. You can get brand new Chinese made carbs to fit any of the old XRs, Im getting one for my XR200A for about $80, Sick of trying to get the old carb to work properly due to slide and body wear.
    Got a related story to tell to get some prospective

My first bike was a Yammy 50, it was my bench mark for power and could top out at 80ks (50mph) down hill and about 70 (43mph) on the flat,
    (Closest thing I could find on Internet)

a friend of mine had a 100 Suzuki which I procured a ride on, I was horrified at the amount of power it had and was able to get it to 65mph down hill pretty easy, things would never be the same again, my first Ride on a TT500 was a similar further step up and perhaps one of the greatest impressions I ever had of power (or at least until the modern era)

An AG100 for me as a 14 year old boy would have been a proverbial powerhouse and like a Sports Tourer to travel on back then (not taking away from your own exploits though)

Bike
    M109R, GS1200ss, RMX450Z, ZX-12R
    Found these

The 500 halfway through its resto

Out run the XR250 from the tree in the background by the HQ

79 XR250 & 81 GX750

80 XL250 & 81 XS850

79 XL250 (was a POS, never went right)

Mission ride on XL250; 2.30am somewhere around Kaikoura on the way to Picton to get 1st ferry crossing (just fuelled up from a jerry can) damn cold

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Its no wonderer some of us have still got it in our blood, those were the good old days with good old bikes (apart from the tank covers )

We were hard core back then

BTW, my little brothers KX80 could out drag my KLX250 everytime to the first corner

Bike
    xr650
    Quote Originally Posted by 10bikekid View Post
    Thanks for the hardcore comments and in regard to xr250r, just to give an idea, XR500s were dynoid stock at 33,-34 rwhp, xr250r about 22rwhp, I doubt anything less than methonal breathing drag engine treatment would pull the extra 10rwhp required to allow the 250 to have a chance

I'm going to vote lies on that one

Just for interest sake the bikes my own XR500's conquered in drag contests, TT500, RD350, CB500four, KZ750twin and many smaller capacity victims (not boasting much but actually never lost a drag and larger bikes were rare in those days and wasn't silly enough to seek out anything over 750cc)
    Yeah like the old adage "Yah can't beat cubic inch" , impressive scalps - remem those RD350's having reputation for one quick bike ...

Light bike - large torque

Bike
    2001 R1150GS
    Quote Originally Posted by T.W.R View Post
    Mission ride on XL250; 2.30am somewhere around Kaikoura on the way to Picton to get 1st ferry crossing (just fuelled up from a jerry can) damn cold
    got my licence on that model, then traded to the DR500.... unfortunately all my photos are gone.....lost most of the photos between woman and the ones transfered/scanned to hard drive went south when one of the kids hit the reformat button
    still got the awesome memories though
    'Good things come to those who wait'
    Bollocks, get of your arse and go get it

Bike
    Its no wonderer some of us have still got it in our blood, those were the good old days with good old bikes (apart from the tank covers )

We were hard core back then

BTW, my little brothers KX80 could out drag my KLX250 everytime to the first corner

lol there'd be a reason for the KX out running the KLX the most powerful 80 against the softest 250 enduro at the time

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by dino3310 View Post
    got my licence on that model, then traded to the DR500.... unfortunately all my photos are gone.....lost most of the photos between woman and the ones transfered/scanned to hard drive went south when one of the kids hit the reformat button
    still got the awesome memories though
    It was good fun that bike, that trip wasn't though 1000km in 18hrs..... pulled bloody good wheelies off the line with all the high tech touring gear strapped on the back though

Bike
    KTM 640 Enduro
    Quote Originally Posted by DR Girl View Post
    Cool pics & stories.
    A baby version of the XR500
    My 1979 XR185. Ordered before the 185 was released in NZ & the first in HB. Nothing like perth gumboots, jeans & an open face for protection
    You should see what I wear now lol !!!
    Will have to scan some pics of our old 185. After nagging our parents since we could speak & doing untold jobs around the farm dad finally got me & the bro a bike in about 1990, it was an absolute minter of a '79 XR185. We promptly reduced it to a wreck doing all sorts of dumb stuff (as you do) Fortunately every 2nd farmer in the area seemed to have a broken down XL175 in the back of the shed we could use for parts to keep it going.

Cheers
    Clint

Bike
    2001 R1150GS
    Quote Originally Posted by T.W.R View Post
    It was good fun that bike, that trip wasn't though 1000km in 18hrs..... pulled bloody good wheelies off the line with all the high tech touring gear strapped on the back though
    i use to stand on the back pegs to get the front up, was a gutless pig but the perfect start to adv riding
    'Good things come to those who wait'
    Bollocks, get of your arse and go get it

Bike
    Blog Entries
    i use to stand on the back pegs to get the front up, was a gutless pig but the perfect start to adv riding
    Did the same thing on XR5hundy, but that was like taking candy from a baby

Bike
    yeah definitely struggled to do anything exciting but easy to live with all the same; On that trip the pic was taken from every intersection I took off from the front would just float up without effort & if I gave it it's head it was long down the road before it touched down again

Did the same thing on XR5hundy, but that was like taking candy from a baby
    a wee pop of the clutch in most gears was enough & a good handful in 1st was dangerous...either the front reaching for the stars or the ass-end packing a epileptic fit

Thread Information