Thread: XR500 (and similar) legends and lies thread

Bike
    KTM 950ADV,DR750,APRILIA TUONO ,YZ290F
    Blog Entries
    If I'm allowed have a few wheelie stories to tell

In the meantime a few Vids

Bike
    Yamaha MT09 Tracer
    im loving these old thumper stories..as i said ive owned an xr250a, and recently i rode an original one belonging to a mate of mine for about 20km on the napier/taihape road...what a ball! seriously i didnt want to get back on my dr, theres just somethingso right about those compact old twin shockers..and even the stock seat is good unlike todays grim contributions!

btw, anybody seen that lo-mileage original xl250s on trademe?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...-562521678.htm

not cheap but tidy..shame about the dented tank huh
    'the stickiest situation since sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun'

Cpt Edmund Blackadder

Bike
    Prolight 250,XR4hundy
    Didnt Dave Curtiss from Hastings have the wheelstand record for a while on his 5hundy?
    I remember a mate of a mate who roadlegalled an XR75 there as well & was good entertainment doing wheelstands in circles on the main drag in Hastings in front of the Burgerbar.
    My first Xr was a 250 A & the first 5hundy was the Prolink with the white sidepanels but not the RFVC head. RC ?
    I remember anotha fella from Waipuk who had one of the first 2hundys.....he was a friend of a girl who I was hopelessly luv with, I was so jealous of that plastic tank....

Bike
    2001 R1150GS
    Quote Originally Posted by fridayflash View Post
    im loving these old thumper stories..as i said ive owned an xr250a, and recently i rode an original one belonging to a mate of mine for about 20km on the napier/taihape road...what a ball! seriously i didnt want to get back on my dr, theres just somethingso right about those compact old twin shockers..and even the stock seat is good unlike todays grim contributions!

btw, anybody seen that lo-mileage original xl250s on trademe?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...-562521678.htm

not cheap but tidy..shame about the dented tank huh
    fark shes a tidy wee beasty. i would if i could
    'Good things come to those who wait'
    Bollocks, get of your arse and go get it

Bike
    M109R, GS1200ss, RMX450Z, ZX-12R
    Quote Originally Posted by dino3310 View Post
    fark shes a tidy wee beasty. i would if i could

Not that tidy....have a close look at the stone chips & rust on the swing-arm, burred side cover fastners, sag of shocky springs & the chaffing on the dampers etc done a lot more than the speedo says

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Just subscribing. Nothing to see here, move along.

Bike
    2001 R1150GS
    Quote Originally Posted by T.W.R View Post
    Not that tidy....have a close look at the stone chips & rust on the swing-arm, burred side cover fastners, sag of shocky springs & the chaffing on the dampers etc done a lot more than the speedo says
    yeah true mate, lucky i dont bid from my tablet. looked a bit flasher on the smaller picture.
    still like it but

Bike
    ZX14R, E=mc2
    Good thread and just picked it up , Early '79 and picked up my new first model XL500S ( Z model ) at age 17 from Forbes and Davies in Nelson St ? in Auck. Couldn't afford the 2750 in cash so I put a down payment of about $ 600 and paid the rest off by going back to the shop every month and paying it off as required. I was like a pig in shit.

I remember the XR500's were about $150 more expensive not sure why, the young salesman at the time gave me a demo bike, un- registered, of course, and let me take one for a test ride on a Saturday morning down the hill and up Queen St and back up the hill to the shop. I remember riding the big loud red rooster and looking at the simple, speedo- only dash as the wheel lifted as I headed up Wellesley St.

niceone:

Bike
    2001 R1150GS
    Quote Originally Posted by 10bikekid View Post
    If I'm allowed have a few wheelie stories to tell

I>
    way cool vids mate, they had a fantastic sound
    i got the more modern wheelie king but still cant wheelie like that

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    I never managed to get my hands on a 500.

I had two XL350s, both early blue ones. I spent hours in the garage on the first one, and fuct up pretty much everything. I learned, the second one got a Fiat piston and an eccentric crankpin, which made it 420cc odd. The head got bigger valves and the cam a bit more overlap, it took me two heads to get the ports right. Can't remember what the carb was from, big Keihein, and the pipe was from 1 1/2" stainless, with an inversion cone. A mate bought some Fox shocks, they arrived while he was at work and by the time he got home I'd stripped them, measured them up and reassembled and repackaged them. Couple of weeks later I had some brand new copies, with slightly bigger shafts. The only reliability issue was 3rd gear, I put two in it, along with some expensive collateral damage the second time...

I spent hours and fucking hours on that thing, and I could punt it around a track faster than the new CR250s. Wish I still had it, it was one of the funnest machines I've ever had.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    Yamaha MT09 Tracer
    a lotta legendary wheelie kings had xr's n tt's back then..a mate of mine bought a 500a new as did his mates and theyd wheelie muriwai to woodhill and back on the beach, here in napier i well remember a bunch of bodgies who got around on tt and xt500's scrapping at parties and wheelieing EVERYWHERE, up and down taradale road, kennedy road, up and down napier hill, down tutaaekuri river etc etc.
    i knew another guy here in the late 80's who had a custom wheelie bike tt500 with a hot motor and an oil feed tank tucked up to feed oil down into the topend to avoid wheelie seizure
    'the stickiest situation since sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun'

Cpt Edmund Blackadder

Bike
    Yamaha MT09 Tracer
    napier 1982, note ne-wish dr500s beside furniture truck, jet helmet and sidi boots yeah!!
    lotsa triumphs and even a harley out for a funeral ride (of another local wheelstanding cop dodger)

Cpt Edmund Blackadder

Bike
    2/'79 XR500s, 04 KLX400, 1953CycleMotor
    Hopefully there's a few pics of my XR in allsorts of action.
    Just took a knackered old pair of Sidi's to the recyclecentre last weekend!

the old girl was surprisingly good around Ruapuna, well, good at corners, not so good on the straights. Meybe 150kph tops?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9-10-2006 Ruapuna Wangapeka House 002.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	529.6 KB 
ID:	287043   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GoodTimes Scramble 1.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	52.0 KB 
ID:	287044   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GoodTimes Scramble 3.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	145.9 KB 
ID:	287045   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Muddy XR500.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	58.8 KB 
ID:	287046  

Bike
    KTM 950ADV,DR750,APRILIA TUONO ,YZ290F
    Blog Entries
    Nice Muzz, someone who still owns one, I have to wait a while till someone I know gets sick of their minter and will sell it to me at a reasonable price

Remember seeing 165kph on my XR's speedo once, was probable down hill though (think had 1 tooth bigger on the front and a 43 rear (original was a 46 from memory)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Just checked the Original Honda Shop Manuel that I've still got and it says 48 rear 14 front so memory not that good but am still going to go with 15/43 ? combo as my 100mph gearing set up (might have been 14/43 ?)

Still has my original purchase price on it (a fair whack back then when I was earning about $120 a week)
     photo 04d4730a-8793-4b89-ba60-397585a2cba6_zpsfcd12a66.jpg

Nice pic below Nordie

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Pig Valley...

Thread Information