Page 2 of 90 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Canterbury Trail Rides?

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    Looks like there was a bit of fun to be had there, I'm sorry I wasn't up for it but I'm back to picking and choosing, can't simply do them all.

Anyone interested in checking out the Black Ridge Park up Greta Valley Sunday coming? (That be the 22nd). Cheaper than the usual farm type trail rides at $30 entry but only about 15km main loop. I've been interested in checking it out for a while now, heard various opinions both good and bad so want to see for myself.

J is busy all weekend so I have Saturday and Sunday to play. Might take the Transalp for a bit of a ride Saturday to see if the gas mileage has actually improved with the carby and clutch work... if it's not too wet to put me off.
    www.remotemoto.com - a serious site for serious ADV riders, the ultimate resource in the making.
    Check out my videos on Youtube including... the 2011 Dusty Butt 1K - Awakino Challenge and others.

Bike
    XT660R / TTR250 / 2 old Montesa's
    Quote Originally Posted by Transalper View Post
    Looks like there was a bit of fun to be had there, I'm sorry I wasn't up for it but I'm back to picking and choosing, can't simply do them all.

Anyone interested in checking out the Black Ridge Park up Greta Valley Sunday coming? (That be the 22nd). Cheaper than the usual farm type trail rides at $30 entry but only about 15km main loop. I've been interested in checking it out for a while now, heard various opinions both good and bad so want to see for myself.

J is busy all weekend so I have Saturday and Sunday to play. Might take the Transalp for a bit of a ride Saturday to see if the gas mileage has actually improved with the carby and clutch work... if it's not too wet to put me off.

15km.... get 4 of them in......
    see how it goes... not been there myself...

yer doing Balcain in a few weeks ?
    2 days.. loop run reverse on the 2nd day...
    Pete

90% of all Harleys built are still on the road... The other 10% made it back home...
    Ducati... Makeing riders into mechaincs since 1964...

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    Quote Originally Posted by pete-blen View Post
    ....yer doing Balcain in a few weeks ?
    2 days.. loop run reverse on the 2nd day...
    Probably up for one of the days there, unlikely to do both.
    www.remotemoto.com - a serious site for serious ADV riders, the ultimate resource in the making.
    Check out my videos on Youtube including... the 2011 Dusty Butt 1K - Awakino Challenge and others.

Bike
    2010 GasGas EC300
    I was at the Flagpole ride. The weather was good, and for the first time in I don't know how long, I didn't fall off.

Short clip of one of the climbs, and the unwanted stick I collected.
    http://youtu.be/ts6FLFHgQYk

And another short clip.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvjMrJErlRI

Bike
    06 VFR800, 03 WR450F
    [QUOTE=Dent;1130612808]I was at the Flagpole ride. The weather was good, and for the first time in I don't know how long, I didn't fall off.

But did u do all four challenge sections?
    I did and fell off several times on all of them! That last one with the nasty hillclimb was tough, gave up in the end after 3tries, just too steep and slippery
    If you're not living on the edge you're taking up to much room!
    Life begins where your comfort zone ends!

Bike
    2010 GasGas EC300
    No I did not do the enduros on this ride - to be fair I don't have to be on an enduro section to fall off usually
    I heard the 4th one was very tough.
    I was riding well within my limits, recovering from a sprained wrist (thanks to the slippery Dalethorpe roots).

[QUOTE=mattsdakar;1130613592]
    Quote Originally Posted by Dent View Post
    I was at the Flagpole ride. The weather was good, and for the first time in I don't know how long, I didn't fall off.

But did u do all four challenge sections?
    I did and fell off several times on all of them! That last one with the nasty hillclimb was tough, gave up in the end after 3tries, just too steep and slippery

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    ....Anyone interested in checking out the Black Ridge Park up Greta Valley Sunday coming? (That be the 22nd).....
    Weather forecast a bit patchy but I'm still planing to go this coming Sunday.
    Intend departing home between 8 and 8:30am but it's a loose plan.
    Estimate about 1hour 20minutes travel time for me.
    Track opens at 9:30am.

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    I phoned the park, it is open and has some low cloud and a wee bit of drizzle.
    Stuff the weather, I'll take a jacket, I'm loading up the van now and on my way shortly.

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    and back home.
    Greasy as out there, with a few nasty deeeeep ruts, but the weather was ok as in the drizzle came and went but I was more wet from me than the weather.
    The track destroyed me in 3 places, 2 slippery hill climbs and one rut that caught me.
    I really started wishing I had a couple of mates with me at one point and was lucky to rope in a couple of guys from the neighbouring property that happened by while I was resting after digging the WR out of the one deep 'must avoid' ruts that I failed to stay clear off. They were kind enough to pull me up a slippery slope I got a bit stuck on a few bends later. We used my rope so they could pull me up instead of push and catch my roost.
    It wasn't over yet but I made it to firmer and/or flatter ground eventually and was toast so only did the one lap.

So when the ground is damp I'd recommend taking mates or maybe simply being more aggressive than I am, when everything is dry should be a piece of cake if a little short.

Bike
    ZX14R, E=mc2
    and back home.
    Greasy as out there, with a few nasty deeeeep ruts, but the weather was ok as in the drizzle came and went but I was more wet from me than the weather.
    The track destroyed me in 3 places, 2 slippery hill climbs and one rut that caught me.
    I really started wishing I had a couple of mates with me at one point and was lucky to rope in a couple of guys from the neighbouring property that happened by while I was resting after digging the WR out of the one deep 'must avoid' ruts that I failed to stay clear off. They were kind enough to pull me up a slippery slope I got a bit stuck on a few bends later. We used my rope so they could pull me up instead of push and catch my roost.
    It wasn't over yet but I made it to firmer and/or flatter ground eventually and was toast so only did the one lap.

So when the ground is damp I'd recommend taking mates or maybe simply being more aggressive than I am, when everything is dry should be a piece of cake if a little short.
    Was thinking about heading up there for a first visit when I was warned it might be wet , so I stayed home and it was.

Thanks for the report , long way for only one lap and not a fun one by the sounds of it.

Been there, done that. I'll wait till it dries out a tad.

Bike
    Sounds like fun TA.....
    I just didn't have the motorvation today...
    Have to get out there for a look some time...
    Spent the day working on the XT... So wasn't a total loss...

Roll on Balcain 2 day...
    Pete

90% of all Harleys built are still on the road... The other 10% made it back home...

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    Roll on Balcain 2 day...
    Balcain...it's ithis coming weekend, couple of days time... I'm now good to go Saturday but will not make Sunday.

Bike
    Balcain...it's ithis coming weekend, couple of days time... I'm now good to go Saturday but will not make Sunday.
    I'm doing Saturday.. Sunday ?... I will see how I feel after Saturday... Bike & body willing...

http://www.myrides.co.nz/trail-rides-xidc53532.html
    Pete

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    I'm doing Saturday.....
    reckon I'll aim to leave home between 8:30 and 9am. Be unloaded and on track by 10:30. Probably well toasted by about 2:30pm/3pm

Bike
    reckon I'll aim to leave home between 8:30 and 9am. Be unloaded and on track by 10:30. Probably well toasted by about 2:30pm/3pm
    I will hit the road about 8...
    Pete

Thread Information