Page 1 of 90 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Canterbury Trail Rides?

Bike
    XT660R / TTR250 / 2 old Montesa's

Canterbury Trail Rides?

Anyone thinking of doing the Lees Valley / Glenburn ride on the 1st..
    I'm hopeing to make it....

http://www.myrides.co.nz/trail-rides-xidc53532.html
    Pete

90% of all Harleys built are still on the road... The other 10% made it back home...
    Ducati... Makeing riders into mechaincs since 1964...

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    Thinking about it, yes.
    This ride is really the only legal way to ride anything in that area with out upsetting the land owners or breaking any laws.
    Unfortunately they have had more and more problems with unregistered bikes helping themselves to the private land and using the one public road through that area since these rides started and this is causing us on street legal adventure bikes a bit of grief as we are being tarred with the same brush so to speak when it comes to seeking land access permission.

Flyer link.... www.myrides.co.nz/content.asp?syscmd=dl&ID=6E186CA6197A43778DA13BF7CDFB14CA

Grenvilles email blurb
    Next Event

The Suzuki Trails Lees Valley Trailride is on Fathers Day Sunday 1 September this year. Forget the lawn mowing and enjoy a day out in some genuine high country terrain. Riding over Okuku Hills and the Glenburn we will have a good shortcut available for children novice riders of 15-20k and the usual 40k plus a bit for the main course. With the terrain available this year we can put in a longer enduro option that will get the experts sweating. Just for Fathers Day there will be a very special enduro hill climb where everyone can see from the car park and I’m yet to see anyone except for myself get to the top. Definitely be worth a DB if you get to the top. Team up with your mates as it is a slow windy drive into the Valley.
    Since the WR is a Regoed and WOFed legally plated adventure bike I would probably drive out to North Loburnish area and ride in from there to avoid the majority of other traffic which would probably be coming in from Oxford end being the dry way of bridges vs the Loburn ends fords.
    Just chuck the mirror in my bag with the snacks when we arrive and good to go.
    www.remotemoto.com - a serious site for serious ADV riders, the ultimate resource in the making.
    Check out my videos on Youtube including... the 2011 Dusty Butt 1K - Awakino Challenge and others.

Bike
    I will have to drive in & out...
    I have the use of a trailer & the
    bike only has a 9.5L tank...
    Could be pushing it's range a bit..
    Pete

90% of all Harleys built are still on the road... The other 10% made it back home...

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    Just home from the Lees Valley ride. ~42km laps again.
    Slept latter than planned, mucked about a bit long then eventually signed on to start my first lap at mid day on the dot.
    Lap 1 took me 2 hours including the silly move of trying one of the Enduro deviations again. Got an owchy thumb from that. Got up all the ups though I'm still not sure how. Last decent turned steeper and/or looser looking than the rest and my panicky front brake finger squeezed a bit much about half way down. Then I picked and dragged the bike in circles several times for the next quarter and finally sorted my shit to ride down the last quarter. I always said I was a 'red arrow' rider, the blue arrow sections are just a little too much for me.
    My knees didn't like all the extra standing through that bit either.... now they hate my stairs at home.

Over all had a good ride, enjoyed the second half of the track more than the first as that's where all the mud and streams were. Muddy ditches caused me grief at the Dalethorpe forest ride, I had my head around the stuff this time and blitzed (as blitzy as i get anyway) the muddy holes and ruts this time.

Lap 2, all main route, 1 hour 15 minutes.

Next one of these I do is likely to be the Balcairn Trailride on October 5th-6th, it's on both days but I'll probably only do one of those.
    Think Peeteey is up for to that one too.

Oh yeah, GoPro memory card was full by the time I got of the Enduro option (there were several but I only did the one... once) so missed recording most of the loop and GPS went flat sometime during the ride too. Must remember to pay more attention to preparing this stuff the day before if I want to use them on the day.
    www.remotemoto.com - a serious site for serious ADV riders, the ultimate resource in the making.
    Check out my videos on Youtube including... the 2011 Dusty Butt 1K - Awakino Challenge and others.

Bike
    That will be why I didn't see yer... at 12 noon we were still out on the first loop..
    went with a guy from work.... he was rideing the oldest bike there by about 20 years
    1980 kawasaki KL250..

Got Flagpole & Balcain on the to do list...

Pete

Bike
    Rmz450
    grenvilles blurb:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- The Suzuki Trails Lees Valley Trailride is on Fathers Day Sunday 1 September this year. Forget the lawn mowing and enjoy a day out in some genuine high country terrain. Riding over Okuku Hills and the Glenburn we will have a good shortcut available for children novice riders of 15-20k and the usual 40k plus a bit for the main course. With the terrain available this year we can put in a longer enduro option that will get the experts sweating. Just for Fathers Day there will be a very special enduro hill climb where everyone can see from the car park and I’m yet to see anyone except for myself get to the top. Definitely be worth a DB if you get to the top. Team up with your mates as it is a slow windy drive into the Valley.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    god grenville is full of shit. ive been to the top of that hillclimb, an 2 other guys apparently went up on the same day(according to some guys in the carpark that saw me go up) and ive only done that ride once. an he reckons he's the only one to EVER go up it.

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    Maybe he wasn't looking at the time and no one bothered to point you out.
    You'll obviously have to come back and do it again... with a camera.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by browny View Post
    god grenville is full of shit. ive been to the top of that hillclimb, an 2 other guys apparently went up on the same day(according to some guys in the carpark that saw me go up) and ive only done that ride once. an he reckons he's the only one to EVER go up it.
    .......... I don't think that the intention of granville's blurb was to have a attack on your man hood...
    Pete

Bike
    Rmz450
    well he hurt my felings

Bike
    Another must attend ride this sunday.....
    flagpole...

Pete

Bike
    06 VFR800, 03 WR450F
    Quote Originally Posted by pete-blen View Post
    Another must attend ride this sunday.....
    flagpole...

I'll be there, Tim (the yank) from Superior maybe tagging along too..see you there!
    If you're not living on the edge you're taking up to much room!
    Life begins where your comfort zone ends!

Bike

flagpole 15 sep

Had another good ride...
    Only a 30km loop but had a bit
    of everything... hill tracks / forestrey /
    mud... even got a slight dusting of snow
    over night higher up..

Pete

Bike
    Steam powered rocking chair
    Where was the ride pete , pics look great! mint day to be out

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by cruza View Post
    Where was the ride pete , pics look great! mint day to be out
    Flagpole Rd... 10km passed Glentunnel... Whitecliffs Rd on to Flagpole Rd
    Pete

Bike
    Steam powered rocking chair
    Quote Originally Posted by pete-blen View Post
    Flagpole Rd... 10km passed Glentunnel... Whitecliffs Rd on to Flagpole Rd
    nice looking country

Thread Information