View Poll Results: How long did your last lead acid battery last?

Voters
140. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 year

16 11.43%
  • 2 years

15 10.71%
  • 3 years

21 15.00%
  • 4 years

11 7.86%
  • 5 years

26 18.57%
  • 6 years

14 10.00%
  • 7 years

6 4.29%
  • 8 years

9 6.43%
  • 9 years

3 2.14%
  • 10 years

19 13.57%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How long did your last battery last?

Bike
    Its a Boat
    At least two years.

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Quote Originally Posted by FastBikeGear View Post
    Drew I don't want to have to warn you about insulting Ducatis again . Every time you do it something fails on mine.
    I'm sorry man. I've only had to deal with four of the bloody things after all, but every one of them was nothing but bloody trouble.

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    My Motobatt is around 2 years old. I have a lot of failures with normal lead acids because I'm too retarded to run a battery tender (power in my shed is turned off a lot any way) but the Motobatt is happy enough to sit in the ZX6 with the RFID unit powered for a few months and still crank the bike over and start it fine. It will probably fail early due to such a lack of use, only been for a ride on it once this year I think.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Alloy, stainless and Ti polishing.
    Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    Old classic thing
    Quote Originally Posted by ducatilover View Post
    My Motobatt is around 2 years old. I have a lot of failures with normal lead acids because I'm too retarded to run a battery tender (power in my shed is turned off a lot any way) but the Motobatt is happy enough to sit in the ZX6 with the RFID unit powered for a few months and still crank the bike over and start it fine. It will probably fail early due to such a lack of use, only been for a ride on it once this year I think.
    Can you please tick one of the optiosn in the poll for us at the top of the page?

Many thanks for assisting me with this interesting survey.

Liam Venter.
    www.FastBikeGear.co.nz
    Top brand Motorcycle accessories: R&G Racing, Titax, CTEK, Ultrabatt lithium Batteries, RockSolid, BikeVis, NGR, Oberon, Stopit, TUTORO, Posi-Lock, etc.
    Mobile: 0275 985 266 Office, 09 834 6655

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    Can you please tick one of the optiosn in the poll for us at the top of the page?

Many thanks for assisting me with this interesting survey.

Liam Venter.
    Well, my battery hasn't ended its life yet
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Alloy, stainless and Ti polishing.
    Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    Old classic thing
    Quote Originally Posted by ducatilover View Post
    Well, my battery hasn't ended its life yet
    Yeah but we are not asking about the life of your current battery (because no one knows that yet.)

We are asking how long did your last lead acid battery last?
    www.FastBikeGear.co.nz
    Top brand Motorcycle accessories: R&G Racing, Titax, CTEK, Ultrabatt lithium Batteries, RockSolid, BikeVis, NGR, Oberon, Stopit, TUTORO, Posi-Lock, etc.

Bike
    M109R, GS1200ss, RMX450Z, ZX-12R
    We are asking how long did your last lead acid battery last?
    For some of us that's an unmeasurable time span
    ie: battery in bike when purchased & still going strong when bike sold, some last longer than the bike etc

Personally have had one battery died in one bike out of the last 15; the battery that was in the bike when purchased lasted 3yrs & the replacement was still going when the bike was sold 7yrs later...so no idea how old the 1st battery was before it died.
    Another was one in a bike that was crashed was in bike when brought then before bike was written off the battery and a couple of items were taken & sold to a mate who had the same type of bike.
    A properly maintained battery will and on the majority of occasions out last the ownership of the bike, it's only when misfortune strikes when acquiring a new bike or an electrical failure that causes the purchase of a new battery and generally that isn't often.
    Long life batteries as a sales pitch is more gimmick than fact as motorcycles are a high turnover item and it's only a small number that become long term ownership items

Bike
    Old classic thing
    Quote Originally Posted by T.W.R View Post
    For some of us that's an unmeasurable time span
    ie: battery in bike when purchased & still going strong when bike sold, some last longer than the bike etc

Personally have had one battery died in one bike out of the last 15; the battery that was in the bike when purchased lasted 3yrs & the replacement was still going when the bike was sold 7yrs later...so no idea how old the 1st battery was before it died.
    Another was one in a bike that was crashed was in bike when brought then before bike was written off the battery and a couple of items were taken & sold to a mate who had the same type of bike.
    A properly maintained battery will and on the majority of occasions out last the ownership of the bike, it's only when misfortune strikes when acquiring a new bike or an electrical failure that causes the purchase of a new battery and generally that isn't often.
    Long life batteries as a sales pitch is more gimmick than fact as motorcycles are a high turnover item and it's only a small number that become long term ownership items
    All good points. During my motoring career I have only ever purchased about 4 motorcycle batteries and about the same number of car batteries. My last lead acid motorcycle battery only lasted a year, despite being maintained on a high quality smart battery tender, but I think it must have been a dud from new ( nothing wrong with charging circuit and replacement Utrabatt Lithium still going strong 2 years later). The one prior to that came with the bike so I don't know how old it was when it failed.

Rather than assume stuff we decided to conduct the poll at the top of the page. The results are a bit of a surprise so far.
    www.FastBikeGear.co.nz

Bike
    M109R, GS1200ss, RMX450Z, ZX-12R
    With the two dealerships I've worked at the majority of batteries sold were usually to people who'd recently brought their bikes or had electrical failures & as both shops had a high number of clients who were farmers a lot of batteries were sold due to lack of maintenance & neglect on the owners behalf and in bikes that spent a lot of time doing short running and sitting idling etc.

My Landcruiser has given me more grief with batteries...13yrs of ownership and 3 sets of batteries bloody 24v system means over $500 each time

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    I throw my bikes down the road before they need a battery.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    Old classic thing
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    I throw my bikes down the road before they need a battery.
    The helicopters used on the big Americn fishing boats don't last very long, poor maintenance, harsh environments, there are stories of captains setting them adrift on their floats after a couple of years use and then using them for target practice rather than paying for major overhauls.

Ring ring...hello......hi is that AA insurance....um yes good.....umm we just had another helicopter incident....pilots OK but......ah the helicopter sunk.
    Last edited by FastBikeGear; 8th September 2013 at 19:46.
    www.FastBikeGear.co.nz

Bike
    Old classic thing
    Nice artical published by Yuasa. Skip Down to the bit on what causes lead acid batteries to fail.

We have seen lead acid motorcycle battles don't seem to last as long as they used to any more.

Is that because ou lights on rules mean that on some bikes our batteries don't fully charge and hence fail prematurely.

http://www.yuasabatteries.com/motor_battery.php
    www.FastBikeGear.co.nz

Bike
    2007 Suzuki SV1000s
    IMO Yuasa are the worst of the worst. Went through 3 of them in 3ish years.

Best bang for your buck, Motobatt all the way

Bike
    Old classic thing
    Quote Originally Posted by BuzzardNZ View Post
    IMO Yuasa are the worst of the worst. Went through 3 of them in 3ish years.

Best bang for your buck, Motobatt all the way
    Well hopefully you got a full warranty refund or replacement on each one?
    www.FastBikeGear.co.nz

Bike
    2007 Suzuki SV1000s
    Well hopefully you got a full warranty refund or replacement on each one?
    Nah, it was my fault really, as I don't have a tender ( nor can I, no power in garage ) and I left it for 2 weeks at at time ( sometimes more ) in winter without riding it. Plus, I never keep receipts.

Had the motobatt in there a year now with the same treatment and it's holding up strong.

Wish I knew what kind of battery came with the bike ( new ) as that bastard lasted 3 years with the same deal as the others ( i.e. me being too much of a pussy to ride much in winter )

Thread Information