View Poll Results: How long did your last lead acid battery last?

Voters
140. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 year

16 11.43%
  • 2 years

15 10.71%
  • 3 years

21 15.00%
  • 4 years

11 7.86%
  • 5 years

26 18.57%
  • 6 years

14 10.00%
  • 7 years

6 4.29%
  • 8 years

9 6.43%
  • 9 years

3 2.14%
  • 10 years

19 13.57%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: How long did your last battery last?

Bike
    Old classic thing
    Quote Originally Posted by BuzzardNZ View Post
    Nah, it was my fault really, as I don't have a tender ( nor can I, no power in garage ) and I left it for 2 weeks at at time ( sometimes more ) in winter without riding it. Plus, I never keep receipts.

Had the motobatt in there a year now with the same treatment and it's holding up strong.

Wish I knew what kind of battery came with the bike ( new ) as that bastard lasted 3 years with the same deal as the others ( i.e. me being too much of a pussy to ride much in winter )

Shit if that was me I would be having a very stern talk to whoever I bought those batteries off and wanting a full refund!

If that was the failure rate on a home appliance we would all be writing letters to the ministry of consumer affairs. a completely unacceptable failure rate...battery tender or not!

I would also be checking the output of the voltage regulator, which you probably did anyway...just to be sure.
    www.FastBikeGear.co.nz
    Top brand Motorcycle accessories: R&G Racing, Titax, CTEK, Ultrabatt lithium Batteries, RockSolid, BikeVis, NGR, Oberon, Stopit, TUTORO, Posi-Lock, etc.
    Mobile: 0275 985 266 Office, 09 834 6655

Bike
    Pure coolness...
    Nah, it was my fault really, as I don't have a tender ( nor can I, no power in garage ) and I left it for 2 weeks at at time ( sometimes more ) in winter without riding it. Plus, I never keep receipts.
    Two weeks....fuck that.. my 6 year old factory fitted Buell battery has sat for a month or more and still started the bike.....Just..

Sad.... i need to ride more
    Harley Davidson: The most efficient way to convert gasoline into noise without the side effects of horsepower.

'Fast' Harleys are only fast compared to stock Harleys.

Bike
    Old classic thing
    Quote Originally Posted by nallac View Post
    Two weeks....fuck that.. my 6 year old factory fitted Buell battery has sat for a month or more and still started the bike.....Just..

Sad.... i need to ride more
    Dam right I spent nearly 8 weeks pissing around building new exhaust for my bike. During that time I probably started it 20 times for just few second to listen to it ( not enough to charge the battery to any extent) without any issue.
    www.FastBikeGear.co.nz
    Top brand Motorcycle accessories: R&G Racing, Titax, CTEK, Ultrabatt lithium Batteries, RockSolid, BikeVis, NGR, Oberon, Stopit, TUTORO, Posi-Lock, etc.

Bike
    2007 Suzuki SV1000s
    Quote Originally Posted by FastBikeGear View Post
    Shit if that was me I would be having a very stern talk to whoever I bought those batteries off and wanting a full refund!

If that was the failure rate on a home appliance we would all be writing letters to the ministry of consumer affairs. a completely unacceptable failure rate...battery tender or not!
    Couldn't be arsed and thought it was normal for that cheap crap.

I would also be checking the output of the voltage regulator, which you probably did anyway...just to be sure.
    No idea how to do anything like that, basic maintenance is where it ends for me and anything to do with electrics, forget it.

Bike
    Old classic thing

No idea how to do anything like that, basic maintenance is where it ends for me and anything to do with electrics, forget it.
    Every time your battery is replaced you or your shop should measure the voltage output of your regulator with a simple voltmeter. It takes less than two minutes to do this and there should be no charge for it....and it could save you $100 dollars or more if you prematuerly kill a battery.

Batteries lifespans (both modern lithium and lead acid ones) are drastically reduced by years if either being under or over charged. You can take Several years off the 10 year life of a lithium battery by consistently under or over charging it.
    www.FastBikeGear.co.nz

Bike
    Pure coolness...
    I fitted one of THESE to my Buell as they are well known to fry VR and stators.. cheap heads up insurance of any problems happening.

EDIT; linky now works....
    Harley Davidson: The most efficient way to convert gasoline into noise without the side effects of horsepower.

'Fast' Harleys are only fast compared to stock Harleys.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Somebody mention car batteries? Derailment ahead..

Replaced the TDM battery as posted. Had 3 car battery's in that time. All replaced under warranty. On 2 cars no less so not a vehicle fault. I drive with me lights on, too.

Yuasa? Always used em, I think they are the only manufacturer who make the right size for my bike & I'm a happy camper. Only issue was leaving the bike at the side of a Loch in Scotland, out side, cold, wet & miserable, for 3 weeks. It no starty. Great place for testing batteries.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Old classic thing
    Have to say that I am suprised by the survey results.
    www.FastBikeGear.co.nz

Bike
    Old classic thing
    Please remember this poll is only for motorcycle batteries. Car batteries typically last longer as car manufacturers are generally not limited by size/packaging or weight constraints so they can use a larger less stressed battery. Surprisingly some cars like a 6 cylinder BMW 330i
    actually draw less starting current than a bike like a 900CC monster. This is because they can use a physically larger and more efficient starter motor than the small diameter ones used on bikes.

Bike batteries generally get a very hard time compared to car batteries!
    www.FastBikeGear.co.nz

Bike
    Old classic thing
    Just wat to bump this thread to keep collecting more information in the how long did your last battery last.

It would probably now be a good time to add a survey "How long did your last Lithium batter last" if I knew how so we could compare real world life spans.
    www.FastBikeGear.co.nz

Bike
    2007 Suzuki SV1000s

It would probably now be a good time to add a survey "How long did your last Lithium batter last" if I knew how so we could compare real world life spans.
    Good idea, we need another battery thread, it just hasn't been the same round here since the Shorai thread got binned.

Bike
    Old classic thing
    Good idea, we need another battery thread, it just hasn't been the same round here since the Shorai thread got binned.
    I have even discovered an alternative entertainment medium called Netflix.
    www.FastBikeGear.co.nz

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    Got two car batteries 10+ years old and still good.

One is Optima, the other Interstate.

We need bike batteries like that!
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    1999 Yamaha R1
    They do exist, made by Yuasa!

Bike
    2009 KTM990
    Quote Originally Posted by scumdog View Post
    Got two car batteries 10+ years old and still good.

One is Optima, the other Interstate.

We need bike batteries like that!
    Used to watch the Exide battery truck pull up to the then Shell servo next to work roll up the side door pull out black stickerless batteries test them then select the shell logo stickers off a pipe roll where they sat beside Repco Mobil Marshall Supercheap AA Optima ect rolls and place them on the Batteries he needed and take them inside.

Im sure some must be different some small post jappers are a shocker (Yep that's a pun) but.

Thread Information