View Poll Results: How long did your last lead acid battery last?

Voters
140. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 year

16 11.43%
  • 2 years

15 10.71%
  • 3 years

21 15.00%
  • 4 years

11 7.86%
  • 5 years

26 18.57%
  • 6 years

14 10.00%
  • 7 years

6 4.29%
  • 8 years

9 6.43%
  • 9 years

3 2.14%
  • 10 years

19 13.57%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How long did your last battery last?

Bike
    Old classic thing

How long did your last battery last?

FastBikeGear are the distributor of the Dutch Ultrabatt range of motor sport and road Lithium batteries in New Zealand.

We are one of the largest suppliers of automotive Lithium Battery technology in New Zealand.

The cost of this battery technology is plummeting, but Lithium batteries still cost more than lead acid batteries.

One of the key justifications for paying more for a Lithium motorcycle battery is that a Lithium battery with an inbuilt BMS in it has a target life of 10 years and customers should expect them to last between five years and 10 years.

But if most people's lead acid batteries are lasting more than 5 years the cost justification is not done and dusted in favour of a lithium battery until the price drops even further.

Also has anyone noticed the original batteries supplied with their bikes seem to last longer than the replacement lead acid batteries?

Because we can't be sure of the answer until you answer the question, we want your feed back. All respondents will see the results.

Many thanks for participating.
    Last edited by FastBikeGear; 3rd September 2013 at 19:02.
    www.FastBikeGear.co.nz
    Top brand Motorcycle accessories: R&G Racing, Titax, CTEK, Ultrabatt lithium Batteries, RockSolid, BikeVis, NGR, Oberon, Stopit, TUTORO, Posi-Lock, etc.
    Mobile: 0275 985 266 Office, 09 834 6655

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Well the Jap Yuasa that came in my '93 YZF750SP, despite long periods of inactivity finally was wrenched out start of 2003 so I put 10 years, but that was so I could fit a smaller AGM to save a kilo which was a decent saving back in the day.

It sat there on the floor for 6 months until the battery in my RF9 failed & I noticed that with a bit of rubber pruning it would fit in that. Now I sold the dirty ol' RF in '09 & I don't think I'd had to replace it. . .
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Pure coolness...
    The factory battery is still doing duty in my 07 Uly, so 6+ years
    Harley Davidson: The most efficient way to convert gasoline into noise without the side effects of horsepower.

'Fast' Harleys are only fast compared to stock Harleys.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Just replaced the battery on the TDM. It's a funny size & took 3 attempts to get the one that fits. Shared with some high end Ducati's I believe. It's between 6 & 15 years old. Identical replacement was less than $150. That old battery never failed to start the bike, an 850 twin, after months of being sat in cold damp shed. But it was struggling. Once the engine was warm no problems. Prevention is better than cure. New battery.
    If it ends up that I get 12 years trouble free, but a bit tense at the end, service for $150, the replacement lasting at least 6 years, I will be a happy camper.
    As avidly as I follow this hot topic I hope that I buy a bike with a Lithium battery rather than a Lithium battery for my bike in the next 6 or so years.

Any hoo. Onwards with the march of progress. Smaller, lighter, gruntier, tougher. Cheaper.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    I hope to find the next battery for my race bike - , have a heap of caps lying around at work

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    The factory Jap Yuasa battery in my Hornet lasted to exactly one week after the Honda new motorcycle warranty ran out!

I was not impressed.

Replaced with a Motobatt and it has survived 4 years so far with no sign of getting 'old'.

Duration would be something that temps me to buy a fancy pants one as I cannot see me being in the position where I have the coin to replace the bike with a new one ...... apart from Lotto, but that is not going well for me.

However given the frequency a lot of KBers change bikes the ultimate life of a battery may be of little importance if the purchase price is significantly higher.

Bike
    Between bikes
    Question: Is there usually a manufacturing date recorded on batteries? Would perhaps help some people in ageing batteries on their 2nd hand bike.

Bike
    Concours 14, S10
    Connie's one is 6+ years old and I'm guessing that the V-Strom's is as well. Both bikes ridden regularly - don't own a battery tender.

Bike
    None any more
    Mrs H and I have never killed a battery. The bog standard battery in her Bandit is the original, fitted six years and 126,000km ago.
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Bought a new sp1 and the battery was dead after 7months.
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Standard KLR battery went from 2008 - 2011. Motobatt replacement lasted 1 year. Probably killed by neglect (long periods of non-use) although KLRs are reputed to have a pretty crude charging system. I got another Motobatt from TSS at a pretty good price, so far seems to be working ok
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    89 GPX750, 06KLR650
    Last Battery in my KLR was the orginal, it lasted for nearly 5 years . I never maintained it properly during it's time in the bike, and several times a couple of the cells were nearly dry when I did check it which I put down to the bike having been laid on it's side a few times in it's life. The replacement of the battery was a precautionary measure before a long weekend ride as I had noticed a drop in performance of the battery. I replaced it with a Mottobatt battery which has so far been great even when left unused for a month or two.
    Paul’s Adventure riding Photo’s

Latest photo's

Paved Roads are just another example of Wasted Taxpayer Dollars

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mossy1200 View Post
    Bought a new sp1 and the battery was dead after 7months.
    So what we're seeing here from yours and others experience is Yuasa batteries in Hondas fail quickly but live forever with Yamaha goodness,- even Suzuki use is quite tolerable for them.

Bike
    2006 Honda XR250L
    First Yuasa battery in my VFR lasted 5 years but got fried when the regulator went. Fixed that and put a Champion battery in it from Repco and that lasted 11 years. Now back to Yuasa for the last 3 years no worries.
    Cheers

Merv

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    I've replaced the odd battery, but never known how long it had lasted (ie, previous purchaser had bought). Replaced the one in my BMW when it was still functional as I trialled a Shorai - the bike is notorious for suddenly not starting after 2-3 years.

I think the battery in the 05 CB919 has never been replaced, so it's probably about 8 years and 115,000km old.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Thread Information