Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not A Bike But Need Advice

Bike
    1969 Honda S90

Not A Bike But Need Advice

The alternator on my 08 Accord Euro shat itself recently leaving me stranded out in the country-Mrs bought me out a spare battery which got me home-I have to take car to Auto Electrician in Whangarei on Monday for a new alt-It is about one and a quarter hours from home and I am taking two fully charged batteries with me which I trust will be enough power for the trip.Any sensible comments?-I am also a bit concerned as to the amount of heat generated at the alt, after 5 minutes running its so hot you can hardly touch it,any thoughts on this in relation to the trip?-Thanks guys.

Bike
    So old you won't care
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
    The alternator on my 08 Accord Euro shat itself recently leaving me stranded out in the country-Mrs bought me out a spare battery which got me home-I have to take car to Auto Electrician in Whangarei on Monday for a new alt-It is about one and a quarter hours from home and I am taking two fully charged batteries with me which I trust will be enough power for the trip.Any sensible comments?-I am also a bit concerned as to the amount of heat generated at the alt, after 5 minutes running its so hot you can hardly touch it,any thoughts on this in relation to the trip?-Thanks guys.
    What else is driven by that belt?

If its like the waterpump or power steering / brakes - put it on a truck

Bike
    1969 Honda S90
    The belt is not the problem Paul,its the alternator.The closest truck I can get is huge miles away and will cost me a packet.Prior to the battery going totally flat due to the stuffed alt,the car was going OK and no belt problems.I figure the heat in the alt is being created by a stuffed reg/rec.

Bike
    A
    One option is to remove alternator and have it reconditioned by the auto sparky, then after refit, if need be you can drive car for a check-up to auto sparky.

Bike
    1969 Honda S90
    Thanks Casper,that was my original thinking but the alt is a bastard to remove unless you have tiny jap hands, but I may persist-there are several You tube vids on it but are made to look easy,like a 10 minute job,in reality not so.

Regulator, or some other reason for the alt to be on max output....like a stuffed battery. Try one of your good batteries and see if the alt runs cooler. Had a brand new battery fry an alt, and it's replacement 3 weeks ago, on a dual battery setup, it was one of the last things to look at.
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Bike
    So old you won't care
    if the alt is the only thing driven by the belt - cut the damn thing

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    ehhh. what are teh voltages?

hot isn't a good sign. and it's new enough to have computers and other such gay shit which might cook under/over voltage. normally i'd recomend driving with the lights on to even out the current draw but if it's not charging that might again leave you roadside.

buy a magna bro.

Bike
    my little pony
    If the alternator isn't charging, and the belt is driving nothing else, like water pump etc, take the belt off.alt Problems are the small bearing melting the plastic housing away, siezing, or more commonly brushes wearng down or diodes back feeding.

Bike
    86.249 93.398 00.944
    Had the same thing on my terrano, battery was flat and flattened a replacement, stuck a clamp meter on and it was sucking 3A with everything turned off.

Ran the thing after the battery change for about half an hour to get it home, thing was hot because it was running max output from the regulator to try and get the voltage up to what it should be with fucked rectifier. Auto sparky reckoned too much longer and it would have cooked the windings and been completely fucked.

Safe options are to remove the belt, or if you can't do that take it off completely.
    Riding cheap crappy old bikes badly since 1987

Tagorama maps: Transalpers map first 100 tags..................Map of tags 101-200......................Latest map, tag # 201-->

Bike
    Valkyrie 1500 ,HD softail, BMW r1150r
    Nothing I know of gets better by hoping it won't be bad enough to get worse.....
    Unless you know for sure what the problem is , a tow truck before hand may be cheap by comparison....

AA road assist?
    Opinions are like arseholes: Everybody has got one, but that doesn't mean you got to air it in public all the time....

Bike
    1969 Honda S90
    Thanks guys-Motu,the alt gets hot regardless of which of 3 fully charged batts-Paul and Coldrider the belt drives a host of other things,cant cut it.Akzle,nil voltage (alt does not charge)-Neels,I have already decided the Alt is stuffed and new one is waiting for me at Auto Electrician.Awayatc-I am starting to think you are right-ummm AA road assist,but twice in a week might be a big ask.

Bike
    1976 Honda GL1000, plus implements
    I'll bet the belt runs something else, but the water pump is the only other important thing. You can still drive it without power steering and aircon.

Taking the alt off and delivering to the sparky is the best but yeah, you do need small hands. And it'll be a bit cheaper if the sparky doesn't have to do it.

If it's all too hard then take the big positive wire off the alternator, tape it up REALLY well and tie it to something that isn't too hot.
    Then go for it
    But take your phone and some good walking brogues...

Bike
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 RR
    Don't know much about the hot alternator, but I'd expect you could go about 1.5 hrs on a good fully charged battery in daytime. I once drove an old Alfetta from South Auckland to Matamata, mostly at night before I discovered that my alternator wasn't charging. I know I got that far because I'd just left the auto electrician who had fixed someone elses stuff up of an alternator repair - or so I thought...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    some hot-off-the-press advice, don't drive through town today, i dont know who put what in the water supply, but there are some fucken crackhead drivers loose today

Thread Information