Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Regaining confidence after a fall

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Usually on a right hander it's the sensation of the camber working against you, mind over matter again. For some riders it's heading towards oncoming traffic so apexing a little later keeps you out of harms way & off the centre line.
    Glad things are falling into place for you OP. Oh, no pun intended.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Nothing :(
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Sounds spot on to me.

'Slipping the clutch' is a great skill for this application.

In the lower gear, you can do the same exact thing. It will be more ready to give power if you need it, and the clutch not fully engaged will soak up the jerky jerky thing.
    Another question. Standard my bike is meant to be 15 & 41 sprocket wise but it appears to be 16 & 39. In your opinion could this be partially contributing to that issue I mentioned?
    Becoming fearless isn't the point. That's impossible. It's learning how to control your fear, and how to be free from it.

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Quote Originally Posted by bosslady View Post
    Another question. Standard my bike is meant to be 15 & 41 sprocket wise but it appears to be 16 & 39. In your opinion could this be partially contributing to that issue I mentioned?
    I wouldn't have thought so. The gearing you describe means it's just a smidge taller geared than standard, (faster in each gear). Bit odd actually, because we're talking about a difference of so little, I fail to see why anyone would do it.

Bike
    I wouldn't have thought so. The gearing you describe means it's just a smidge taller geared than standard, (faster in each gear). Bit odd actually, because we're talking about a difference of so little, I fail to see why anyone would do it.
    That'll gear it up about 10.8% (I think). More than a smidge.

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    That's a reasonable gearing change innit?

The DRZ is a very good bit of kit, the one thing most bitch about is the gearing. The spread isn't very wide, and it's only a 5 speed, so even if your one is geared just right for your use they're still a bit high in 1st, (with a big jump to an even higher 2nd) and a bit buzzy in 5th.

So someone's re-geared BL's machine for touring i'd say. Which is OK but it does mean that big jump from 1st to 2nd is even bigger, which might explain why she notices it lurching a bit in 2nd on roundabouts.

The clutch control thing is spot on in any case, and I once overheard a real proper riding tutor suggest that if the revs are held constant then beginners can focus on using the clutch to regulate power better.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Quote Originally Posted by Ender EnZed View Post
    12.1% by my reckoning, but yeh that is a lot, no wonder she can't do wheelies...

That was the problem you were referring to right bosslady?
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Apparently standard will get you up to 130ish and this configuration 150ish, I've only got it to 140 but my friend got it to 149 so must gear it up a tiny bit, I have no idea...
    Becoming fearless isn't the point. That's impossible. It's learning how to control your fear, and how to be free from it.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocean1 View Post
    That's a reasonable gearing change innit?

The DRZ is a very good bit of kit, the one thing most bitch about is the gearing. The spread isn't very wide, and it's only a 5 speed, so even if your one is geared just right for your use they're still a bit high in 1st, (with a big jump to an even higher 2nd) and a bit buzzy in 5th.

So someone's re-geared BL's machine for touring i'd say. Which is OK but it does mean that big jump from 1st to 2nd is even bigger, which might explain why she notices it lurching a bit in 2nd on roundabouts.

The clutch control thing is spot on in any case, and I once overheard a real proper riding tutor suggest that if the revs are held constant then beginners can focus on using the clutch to regulate power better.
    Yea I am getting a little bit better with my clutch control, I've only stalled the bike a few times so far but come close a fair few times, much improvement to be made on my clutch control or lack thereof more like...
    Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    12.1% by my reckoning, but yeh that is a lot, no wonder she can't do wheelies...

That was the problem you were referring to right bosslady?
    That's one of my problems, but not the one I as referring to, no, lol.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR

That's one of my problems, but not the one I as referring to, no, lol.
    If its the problem we discussed last night then yes I do think its part of the issue with that gearing change.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    If its the problem we discussed last night then yes I do think its part of the issue with that gearing change.
    Nah the issue I'm referring to is difficulty with slow manoeuvring I.e. turning into streets, roundabouts etc. The chain is possibly too long, sure, might need to get a link removed eh

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Quote Originally Posted by Ender EnZed View Post
    Apparently standard will get you up to 130ish and this configuration 150ish, I've only got it to 140 but my friend got it to 149 so must gear it up a tiny bit, I have no idea...
    Sorry, I was transposing the 39 and 41 figures when I worked it out.

So, in answer to the original question. Yes. It could be making second gear too tall for some applications, where first is still too low.

But lowering the gearing back to standard might just compound the same thing elsewhere. If you have the standard sprockets, chuck them on and give it a go.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Sorry, I was transposing the 39 and 41 figures when I worked it out.

So, in answer to the original question. Yes. It could be making second gear too tall for some applications, where first is still too low.

But lowering the gearing back to standard might just compound the same thing elsewhere. If you have the standard sprockets, chuck them on and give it a go.
    Nah don't have the standard sprockets. I think I'll get used to the slightly higher gearing, already starting to. Besides prob best to keep the sprockets as is for the open road speeds.

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Nah don't have the standard sprockets. I think I'll get used to the slightly higher gearing, already starting to. Besides prob best to keep the sprockets as is for the open road speeds.
    Fuck yeah. Go round corners faster. Problem solved.

You're welcome.

Thread Information