Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Regaining confidence after a fall

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Grashopper View Post
    I've been thinking about finding a gravel road and practicing gravel riding, but that is probably not a good idea on your own. I wouldn't even been able to lift up my bike if something happens. It's hard enough on solid ground, but on slippery gravel it's got to be even more of a problem.
    Riding some gravel roads on whatever you have is by far the easiest way to get a bit of experience sliding a bike around. If you did have to pick up your Spada you'd probably be surprised at what you can manage when you have to. Bikes are a lot heavier when there's someone around to help.

Hm, on the other hand, I do have a perfectly fine GN standing around here that is currently not being used...
    But given that you've got a GN as well then that'd be a good way to start. I'm sure they go great on gravel.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Took me a long time to get happy being tail happy with TDM on gravel. The mental thing about weight. The bike gives not a damn but, smaller is less worrying forshore.

What happened to the OP, I'm interested to find out what happened?
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    Entering the corner too fast could be an issue. If I get in the wrong gear on a tight bend/roundabout I pull the cluch lever in and coast around as often first gear can be too low and second too high. Going from a twin
    to an inline 4 would mean the inline 4 is not so torquey on bends which would take practise in getting to know the powerband of the new bike which would likely require more revs than the twin.
    Please, never give riding advice again. You never, ever coast around a bloody corner.

For the love of Christ. It is no wonder bikers are killing ourselves in fucking droves!

Bike
    Kate
    Quote Originally Posted by shflbm View Post
    I went round a corner at an intersection in second gear and evidently should have been in first. The Bandit's back wheel flicked out from underneath the bike and I skidded along the ground, detached from the bike which was spinning.
    I know I will regret this, keep mouth shut and all that...

Intersection, 2nd gear - no problem should have worked.
    Rear wheel flicked out - yeah right! What did you do, drop the clutch mid corner and full throttle? No way that tyre lost traction in normal circumstances. There is something missing here (most will say my brain ). Touch of front brake? Oil? too slow? grabbed the clutch and lost drive? Be honest, talk about it with your support people but work it out.

I agree with Drew on the cold tyre thing. Typical blame anything but the rider :BS: even frozen the tyres will get you around an intersection in 2nd (not that the gear directly translates to speed) I know your suspension is wrongly adjusted another good poor rider excuse.

Remember it is the poor tradesman that blames his tools.
    Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people. --- Unknown sage

Bike
    2008 Bandit and 2007 ER6
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    Erk, horrible feeling.
    My first thoughts on your post were about the bike & the road, new bike, new tires? Camber? Road surface? etc... Not sure how 1st or 2nd gear would have changed things. Oh, just re-read post, did the bike stall & lock the rear wheel? How much time on a bike have you had?
    Thanks for your reply. 5 years riding but all on the ER6 which is evidently a different beast. The Bandit is a 2008 bike, not brand new tires but cold as only been running 5 minutes or so before it happened. Was on Northcote Rd onramp in Auckland so usual asphalt surface and completely dry. Flat camber. And yes, the mechanic who came to pick us up suggested that's what could have happened as well.

Bike
    2008 Bandit and 2007 ER6
    Quote Originally Posted by haydes55 View Post
    Look at how the crash occurred, now what can you do to ensure the same incident won't happen again?
    Or were you on the throttle a bit too hard and the back wheel spun and that's how the bike went down?
    Thank you, I think the above, that was one of the scenarios suggested... that I freaked out a bit, twitched at the throttle and that was the last straw.

Bike
    2008 Bandit and 2007 ER6
    Quote Originally Posted by Ender EnZed View Post
    Could you expand on this part a bit?
    A few different scenarios have been suggested, as I've thought about it quite a bit since it happened! But I don't know exactly which one it is.

1. Speed too slow to maintain lean around corner or
    2. Hand twitched on throttle in second gear pushing the back wheel out into even more lean or
    3. Leaning too far or
    4. Tyres too cold or
    5. probably a combination of all of the above.

The thing was, I'd have been totally comfortable doing this on the ER6 and in fact had. So option 2 above probably makes the most sense as the Bandit has so much more power and I wasn't used to it.

Bike
    2008 Bandit and 2007 ER6
    Quote Originally Posted by Ender EnZed View Post
    Your Hornet 250 is probably quite a reasonable gravel road bike. Try riding on some gravel roads.
    I never had a Hornet 250. My profile was still on Scorpio 250 until today when I just noticed and changed it to the two new bikes.

Bike
    2008 Bandit and 2007 ER6
    I've been thinking about finding a gravel road and practicing gravel riding, but that is probably not a good idea on your own. I wouldn't even been able to lift up my bike if something happens. It's hard enough on solid ground, but on slippery gravel it's got to be even more of a problem.

To the OP: I think with the Prorider course you're on the right way. If that helps but you still feel a bit unsure, do another course and maybe a trackday. Manfield is a nice track. Sign up for the slowest group and follow the line riders for a bit. MotoTT www.motott.co.nz do really well organised trackdays. The next one in Manfield is on the 19 Oct, so not too far away.
    Thanks Grashopper.

Bike
    2008 Bandit and 2007 ER6
    Quote Originally Posted by Katiepie View Post
    You do regain your confidence again eventually, if you push yourself and just get back out and keep riding. First few times you might be a little shaky. That's to be expected. But learn to control your mind and not allow it to wonder over "what ifs" or getting worried over similar situations. Push your mind past that and focus only on the task at hand, the corner you are on (with hazards around yada yada) or the stretch of road you are entering. Within a few rides you will begin to forget about your nerves and just be keen getting back into it again.

All the best - don't let it stop you
    Thank you

Bike
    2008 Bandit and 2007 ER6
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Who fitted the race slicks to the bandit? Because "cold tyres" means fuck all on anything but race rubber unless you're trying to go round corners at warp factor nine.

It's a crock I'm afraid.
    It was just something the mechanic/workshop guy who picked us up suggested that could have added to the reasons why it happened. I don't think they are race tyres...? Otherwise it would have been a selling point I'm sure they would have pushed and they didn't.

Bike
    2008 Bandit and 2007 ER6

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Ulsterkiwi View Post
    my sympathies go to the OP. I am not long riding and managed to fall off just this past weekend. Insurance is still checking the bike over but its looking like a write off.
    I was in the middle of nowhere with no phone signal so had no option but to hop on again and get myself out of trouble. The bike was upside down on its handlebars and the top box was lying a few metres down the road. After hauling the bike upright and a bit of thumping on the now bent handlebars, I was able to travel at 15-20kph the 7kms to the main road. That was probably a bit adrenaline fuelled.
    I had been on the way to my cousins place as we had planned a day trip the next day on our bikes. In the morning he got me on his bike just to go up and down his street for 20 minutes or so. It was the best therapy I could have had! I am far from experienced but this has taught me the truth of the cliche "if you fall off a horse........"
    Dont let it beat you, get back on, take it easy and you will regain the confidence. Heck we can start a self help group and get our confidence back together!
    Thanks Ulsterkiwi for your positive comments!

Bike
    2008 Bandit and 2007 ER6
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    Entering the corner too fast could be an issue. If I get in the wrong gear on a tight bend/roundabout I pull the cluch lever in and coast around as often first gear can be too low and second too high. Going from a twin
    to an inline 4 would mean the inline 4 is not so torquey on bends which would take practise in getting to know the powerband of the new bike which would likely require more revs than the twin.
    Thanks cassina. Yeah good point about the clutch thing - my husband does this and has been trying to convince me it is fine. I've never felt comfortable coasting corners but it is something we were going to ask about on the course on Sunday.

Bike
    Trumpy Striple :p
    As mentioned, don't be too hard on yourself shflbm. It can take a while to get used to the new steed, finding it's limitations etc.
    If you get a chance to go to an empty parking lot and do some slow speed stuff it can help, or if there are any handling courses in your area helps to build confidence.
    Nice bikes, the ER. Hope that Bandit behaves for you.

Bike
    2008 Bandit and 2007 ER6
    Quote Originally Posted by oneofsix View Post
    I know I will regret this, keep mouth shut and all that...

Intersection, 2nd gear - no problem should have worked.
    Rear wheel flicked out - yeah right! What did you do, drop the clutch mid corner and full throttle? No way that tyre lost traction in normal circumstances. There is something missing here (most will say my brain ). Touch of front brake? Oil? too slow? grabbed the clutch and lost drive? Be honest, talk about it with your support people but work it out.

I agree with Drew on the cold tyre thing. Typical blame anything but the rider :BS: even frozen the tyres will get you around an intersection in 2nd (not that the gear directly translates to speed) I know your suspension is wrongly adjusted another good poor rider excuse.

Remember it is the poor tradesman that blames his tools.
    You're right to regret your post - every other person on here has been completely sympathetic and helpful but you aren't. I was being honest - as you'll see above I genuinely don't know what happened but am trying to figure it out.

Thread Information