Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Regaining confidence after a fall

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    Need a fatter swinger.
    Na, needed to know the limits instead of doing big drifts to impress the crowd.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Na, needed to know the limits instead of doing big drifts to impress the crowd.
    T'was tongue in cheek. As a crowd of one I'm impressed.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    2015 Striple 675
    Quote Originally Posted by shflbm View Post
    I never had a Hornet 250. My profile was still on Scorpio 250 until today when I just noticed and changed it to the two new bikes.
    This was a response to my post. After doing some research it appears that the Endless Dirt Biking do hires: http://www.endlessdirtbiking.co.nz/d...rentals.html-0

Might give that a go, I'm sure it will be different but I assume the skills are transferable?

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevee2 View Post
    This was a response to my post. After doing some research it appears that the Endless Dirt Biking do hires: http://www.endlessdirtbiking.co.nz/d...rentals.html-0

Might give that a go, I'm sure it will be different but I assume the skills are transferable?
    How d'ost tha mean? Transferable from dirt to road?

If so only a little bit, enough to keep you out the poo if your tar seal turns into something a bit less grippy. Jolly good fun neverthless. Making an effort to learn new stuff & practice on any bike will make you a better rider.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    T'was tongue in cheek. As a crowd of one I'm impressed.
    So was the crowd of more than one

Chur.

Bike
    Trumpy Striple :p
    This would be a good way to get out on the track and get it over, in a closed, controlled circuit. I will just gently point out that it might be a different story getting out on the gravelly, intermittent, intersectiony, cage-laden zone that is the road.

Track and road-based training courses can be quite different

ProRider's intermediate day course in East Auckland. Karel and Kevin are the instructors for the day.
    Edit: That is if it's the on-track course I'm thinking of..

Bike
    1999 Honda Hornet CB600FX
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevee2 View Post

Thank you for the link. They do seem to give lessons too, which is something I'm interested in.
    ---------------------------
    Disclaimer: Any lapses in spelling, tact, or fact are transmission errors.
    ---------------------------

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    Getting people to sympathise with your having an off isn't hard, most want you to be alright, your bike to be Ok and for you to get your bike back together again and carry on riding.
    Some, would like to know that you have learn't from your experience and won't be making the same mistake twice, for many reasons, but to name one, next time you or anyone else has the same experience there may be other motorists involved, innocent people who don't want to be involved in other peoples accidents and who should not be if everyone took their responsibilities to other road users seriously.
    So you see the issue of what happened is not being harped on about to upset you or persecute you, it's being raised so you can sort through it and make sure you do know what happened and can categorically say, "that won't happen again".
    KB isn't a bad place and most people here are good sorts, plenty of em want all riders to be competent and to keep themselves and other riders alive and enjoying thier craft.To that end they can and will go on a bit, I'm one of them, I guess.
    So yes, glad you are OK, will be happier for you and all other road users when you discover what happened and can make sure it doesn't happen again.
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    R6
    ProRider's intermediate day course in East Auckland. Karel and Kevin are the instructors for the day.
    I have done 4 courses with Karel and Kevin and know you will get a lot out of that day. They are great coaches and Karel has a wonderful knack of explaining things so you understand exactly what she is taking about. Usually will run through the theory of each skill she is talking about then make each particiapnt get on their bikes and do it step by step.

Good on you for booking a course - can't ever get enough training and will certainly help with your confidence and understanding of your bike, and your skill levels.

Bike
    '99 GSX750F, FXR150 bucket, RMX250
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I am glad to hear what I said works for someone else too as another poster claimed it was dangerous but not if the bend is tight. The amount of time in the corner you spend coasting is very little like mid 1/4 then re engage gear as you straighten up to exit.
    Surely if you're going into a tight bend you want as much engine braking as you can have? The last thing I would do (out of instinct, I am not claiming to be an expert) is pull the clutch. What's the reasoning for pulling the clutch in, i.e. how do you expect the bike to respond to this?

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    Quote Originally Posted by cbfb View Post
    Surely if you're going into a tight bend you want as much engine braking as you can have? The last thing I would do (out of instinct, I am not claiming to be an expert) is pull the clutch. What's the reasoning for pulling the clutch in, i.e. how do you expect the bike to respond to this?
    Have attempted to explain that you are 100% right,(Do Not disengage your clutch in a corner) a couple of times now, suffice to say "Drew" yer on mate.
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    '99 GSX750F, FXR150 bucket, RMX250
    Quote Originally Posted by caseye View Post
    Have attempted to explain that you are 100% right,(Do Not disengage your clutch in a corner) a couple of times now, suffice to say "Drew" yer on mate.
    Yep I absolutely agree with yours and Drews comments, have been reading this with interest, but despite your efforts I think the message might not be getting across completely

I think Drew? said earlier on in the thread if you're not on the throttle or brakes you're not in control (or something like that). Very well put.

If anyone still thinks it's appropriate to pull the clutch in on a corner, I would really like to know the thinking behind it, so far I've not heard any good reason to do so, but plenty of good reasons not to.

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    To much over thinking.
    Pick a road you know well and ride it when traffic is low.

Prepare yourself when coming to a corner to get your speed and gear selection sorted well before you get there.
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    The whole control thing, which I totally agree with Drew on, despite a nit pick was explained to me summat like this.

You control the bike when accelerating, you decide on momentum, direction, & control grip.

Friction controls the bike when braking, my nit pick, but we are talking normal roads so have a pretty good idea what the tires are touching & how it affects the bike.

Clutch in, free wheeling, the bikes momentum & mass is in control so unless we hit the brakes & get some friction happening or use the throttle to take control we can only hang on & try to steer hoping nothing upsets the bike more than we are.

Pretty standard stuff & accepted fact since they invented round wheels I believe.

I can only think that whipping the clutch in through a corner is a consequence of not reading the road properly or being in the wrong gear. Well, one would lead to the other. Even just closing the throttle will give you engine braking if your a tad concerned about braking in a corner. Doing this might necessitate using the clutch to avoid a stall if in to high a gear, changing down in the middle of a tight slow corner could cause the rear wheel to briefly lock.
    Until proven otherwise it seems to be caused before the actual corner.

Read the above post above me post after publication. Sorry. I'm an echo.
    Last edited by george formby; 12th September 2013 at 17:06. Reason: thick.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I am glad to hear what I said works for someone else too as another poster claimed it was dangerous but not if the bend is tight. The amount of time in the corner you spend coasting is very little like mid 1/4 then re engage gear as you straighten up to exit.
    Tell me, have you ever tried to do it differently?

I know I have, by mistake or mechanical failure I have gone round corners your way. Last time, I had hooked first to enter a turn on a mates bike. Coasted round the corner because when I'd initially started to let out the clutch it stepped the back out. I was luckily not pushing the limit and managed to wobble round the turn. On exit, I let the clutch out a tad fast to ride away...Cost eight and a half grand to replace the bike I highsided, and quite a bad feeling in my stomach over the whole thing still.

Quote Originally Posted by mossy1200 View Post
    To much over thinking.
    Pick a road you know well and ride it when traffic is low.

Prepare yourself when coming to a corner to get your speed and gear selection sorted well before you get there.
    Or not enough thinking.

There will always be those who cannot accept they are wrong.

Thread Information