Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Regaining confidence after a fall

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I said in my earlier post I do it if I find low gear too low and second too high and the reason behind it is to maintan balance as I ride a large road bike and they dont balance that well in tight low speed bends. The lady has said her husband does it so it is something that does work for others too.
    You're an idiot.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    I said in my earlier post I do it if I find low gear too low and second too high and the reason behind it is to maintan balance as I ride a large road bike and they dont balance that well in tight low speed bends. The lady has said her husband does it so it is something that does work for others too.
    So it's a 1st or 2nd gear corner, in 1st the bike is revving to high, in 2nd to low?

Honest question, I know some bikes have quite a big gap between the two or can be a bit hair trigger in 1st.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    1994 Triumph Trophy 1200
    Quote Originally Posted by caseye View Post
    Have attempted to explain that you are 100% right,(Do Not disengage your clutch in a corner) a couple of times now, suffice to say "Drew" yer on mate.
    "Do not disengage your clutch"?? Are you sure you don't mean "Do not engage your clutch"???

will talk about it 100% on Sunday - see ya then

cheers

Quote Jan 2020 Posted by Katman

Life would be so much easier if you addressed questions with a simple answer.

Bike
    '99 GSX750F, FXR150 bucket, RMX250
    If you mean your bike is leaning inwards, I would have thought grabbing the clutch would make it worse? Classic example is doing a U-turn.

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Quote Originally Posted by Murray View Post
    "Do not disengage your clutch"?? Are you sure you don't mean "Do not engage your clutch"???

will talk about it 100% on Sunday - see ya then

cheers
    When you pull the clutch lever in, you are disengaging the clutch. Make no mistake.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    You're an idiot.
    I was looking for the one with the bloke on a full dresser BMW..
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by cbfb View Post
    If you mean your bike is leaning inwards, I would have thought grabbing the clutch would make it worse? Classic example is doing a U-turn.
    Half a u-turn in that case, shirley?

If a corner is that tight you need to be in 1st, control your speed with the rear brake but keep some throttle on, just a skerrick. It works, I know this. So does the guy on the Harley.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Red-shifted GT250R
    Quote Originally Posted by cbfb View Post
    If anyone still thinks it's appropriate to pull the clutch in on a corner, I would really like to know the thinking behind it, so far I've not heard any good reason to do so, but plenty of good reasons not to.
    I've been changing from 1st to 2nd a lot when making left turns from stopped (e.g. at a roundabout). Right up until a couple of days ago when I found neutral. Squeaky bum syndrome lasted just long enough to change the habit.

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    I was looking for the one with the bloke on a full dresser BMW..
    Chris Pfeiffer is the guy you are looking for. Youtube that mofo.

He can do lock to lock no handed circle type figure eights, with the high idle turned on, and using nothing but his weight and the rear brake.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Taxythingy View Post
    I've been changing from 1st to 2nd a lot when making left turns from stopped (e.g. at a roundabout). Right up until a couple of days ago when I found neutral. Squeaky bum syndrome lasted just long enough to change the habit.
    Oh that sucks. Done similar darting into traffic when I should have been slower, steadier & more patienter. Amazing how fast you can move your left foot at times, eh?
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Dont have one now
    I am glad to hear what I said works for someone else too as another poster claimed it was dangerous but not if the bend is tight. The amount of time in the corner you spend coasting is very little like mid 1/4 then re engage gear as you straighten up to exit.
    The "claim" it is dangerous, is actually fact. You should listen and learn

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    I have been riding for 37 years and if it was dangerous I would be dead by now would I not. Maybe it is only dangerous on some bikes and if the lady's boyfriend does it does that make him dangerous too?
    If I need to do it I would be travelling between 20-30 km and if you thought I was going much faster that would be why you would say it is dangerous.
    Just because you and maybe some others have gotten used to bad riding practices doesn't mean they are not dangerous to recommend to newbies.
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    I have been riding for 37 years and if it was dangerous I would be dead by now would I not. Maybe it is only dangerous on some bikes and if the lady's boyfriend does it does that make him dangerous too?
    If I need to do it I would be travelling between 20-30 km and if you thought I was going much faster that would be why you would say it is dangerous.
    It's not going to kill you immediately dead, no. But the guys are right mate, it's not the best habit to get into, bikes are designed to behave best in a corner on the throttle a little.

No biggie, it won't bite you unless you're riding over about 80% capability, but there's times a quiet ride can all of a sudden require your bike to be at 90%, and then your way will get you fukt.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    Dont have one now
    Ahhh well silly me, if you've been doing it for 37 years it must be safe aye......they used to claim cigarettes had health benefits to

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Firstly, the bike your profile says you have should be sweet between 20 and 30 ks in second gear I should think, although first gear would be fine with your fingers holding the clutch ever so slightly to stop it being snatchy too. But lets forget about that for now.

Doing something wrong for a long time, doesn't make it right. And avoiding fucking it up for that same time, doesn't mean it's not wrong either.

Ah fuck it. I've done my best to explain the error. I hope you never find out the hard way why it isn't ideal.

Thread Information