Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The WR250 Thread

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    Quote Originally Posted by That looks like fun View Post
    One that looks like this?
    So that would be the Safari then.
    Everyone I've seen has the Safari option. Safari is a nice size on the bike, looks good and holds about 13.5 litres was it? But is expensive.
    IMS in the pictures looks a bit more bulbous, holds more and as a bonus is cheaper from what I remember when looking. I was worried the extra capacity when full may affect feel of the bike where as with a full safari tank I'm not sure I even notice it.
    That's all I know of them.
    Obviously I have the Safari too, got mine direct from my local Yamaha dealer here in NZ since Yamaha NZ are now Safari agents.
    www.remotemoto.com - a serious site for serious ADV riders, the ultimate resource in the making.
    Check out my videos on Youtube including... the 2011 Dusty Butt 1K - Awakino Challenge and others.

Bike
    2001 R1150GS
    Quote Originally Posted by That looks like fun View Post
    One that looks like this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Transalper View Post
    almost 2 safari tanks in that picture
    'Good things come to those who wait'
    Bollocks, get of your arse and go get it

Bike
    1999 BMW R1100GS / 2012 WR 250 R
    Everyone I've seen has the Safari option. Safari is a nice size on the bike, looks good and holds about 13.5 litres was it? But is expensive.
    IMS in the pictures looks a bit more bulbous, holds more and as a bonus is cheaper from what I remember when looking. I was worried the extra capacity when full may affect feel of the bike where as with a full safari tank I'm not sure I even notice it.
    That's all I know of them.
    Obviously I have the Safari too, got mine direct from my local Yamaha dealer here in NZ since Yamaha NZ are now Safari agents.

13.8 ltrs (I did put 14 in it one day)
    All the extra wieght is carried lower than the original fuel tank as it is down in the wings or flaps or whatever you call them
    As the bike is fuel injected Safari have a vacuum opoerated pump that lifts the fuel in the tank up to the area that the fuel pump draws from.
    Radiator is protected by the fuel tank so no need to buy a flash as (and costly) radiator shield
    Range, about 300 to 350 ks. Although others might do better

Which only leaves one thing unanswered, Supermoto wheels Yeahsaywhat?why?

Bike
    2010 wr250r
    Cheers for the replies. The IMS tank I was looking at is the smaller one (11.3 litres ?) which fits inside the stock shrouds. Around $450ish.

The Safari does seem the more popular one here though and as mentioned can be got through my local yammie dealer so I think that's what I'll do.

Bike
    500EXC
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave h View Post
    Cheers for the replies. The IMS tank I was looking at is the smaller one (11.3 litres ?) which fits inside the stock shrouds. Around $450ish.

The Safari does seem the more popular one here though and as mentioned can be got through my local yammie dealer so I think that's what I'll do.
    Let us know how much you get it for, I'm really in the market too after doing a 4k walk/push of shame the other day . One thing that puts me off the Safari is it seems to have their logo visibly stamped into it, I'd rather it was just a clean slate (I'm being anal I know).

Edit: I get about 170k's out of my stock tank which is really annoying... I do fang it though...

Bike
    500EXC
    Blog Entries
    [QUOTE= Which only leaves one thing unanswered, Supermoto wheels Yeahsaywhat?why? [/QUOTE]

To be honest I have looked into Supermoto wheel sets.... would be nice to change sets depending on what you're riding but I think the cheapest were $1500 US (came with tyres tho)... them and some black plastics would be the business, but each to their own and all that .

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    July last year the safari cost me NZ$724 from the local yamaha shop. Think we already said they were expensive aye. I have no regrets though and would do it again.
    They do get scratches in them when sliding on their sides on firm ground though. Can't help that, they are just there where the action is.
    I'd like a cover to protect the corners but haven't done anything about it other than reading ADVGD's thing he did to the DRZ400 oversized tank which was prone to the same damage.
    www.remotemoto.com - a serious site for serious ADV riders, the ultimate resource in the making.
    Check out my videos on Youtube including... the 2011 Dusty Butt 1K - Awakino Challenge and others.

Bike
    500EXC
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzo View Post
    all you need is some supermoto wheels for it!

Bike
    500EXC
    Blog Entries
    July last year the safari cost me NZ$724 from the local yamaha shop. Think we already said they were expensive aye. I have no regrets though and would do it again.
    They do get scratches in them when sliding on their sides on firm ground though. Can't help that, they are just there where the action is.
    No problems with it busting and leaking fuel out though?

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    Never heard of anyone actually springing a leak and seems to be plenty of meat there.
    Could probably try get a picture of the scratches on mine tomorrow, it's taken some good hits with a couple of good slides and me dragging the bike around trying to pick it up in awkward places.
    Mines blue and the safari logo looks good on it in my opinion, not as obvious as on the transparent ones... but I can't see my gas level which was pretty cool when I had a transparent tank on the DR650 I had..

Bike
    500EXC
    Blog Entries

Chopy throttle on off idle

Do you guys with wrr's find that the throttle is really choppy from/to idle. I've read some threads regarding this but they all seem to do different things to fix it... Or not. Some say once you get a fuel programer its smooth others say its smooth when you put a larger sprocket on the rear ie 47 tooth.. Then there are others that say neither helped.

Intersested if you experience the harsh chops and if you have solved it.

I kinda worry about if i ever roll off throttle in a corner its gonna just chop the gas and i'll bin the bike. I know idealy you wouldent be trying to slow during a turn but there can be times its justified.

Bike
    2010 wr250r
    I've started to notice that snatchiness off idle alot more since I've been commuting with the bike the last couple of weeks, seem to be getting used to it though. Never really noticed it trailriding. Maybe it's just the nature of EFI.

Ordered a Safari tank today through my local yammie dealer, was $743. Its coming from aus and should be here next Tuesday. Also got the edge tail tidy and flashers going on around the same time

Still waiting for my doubletake mirrors to turn up, ups track an trace thing says they left LA on the 5th of October wtf?

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    Tank scratches at their worst on my WR... attached

Mine is a little snatchy too, kind of assume it's injector related, changing gearing makes a difference to the severity only because of the lowered gearing effect meaning it needs to rev more for the same pull... something like that. It helped a bit but mostly I got used to it and use the clutch to smooth things out in some circumstances.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TankScratches.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	50.5 KB 
ID:	288661  

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by oneblackflag View Post
    Do you guys with wrr's find that the throttle is really choppy from/to idle. I've read some threads regarding this but they all seem to do different things to fix it... Or not. Some say once you get a fuel programer its smooth others say its smooth when you put a larger sprocket on the rear ie 47 tooth.. Then there are others that say neither helped.

Intersested if you experience the harsh chops and if you have solved it.

I kinda worry about if i ever roll off throttle in a corner its gonna just chop the gas and i'll bin the bike. I know idealy you wouldent be trying to slow during a turn but there can be times its justified.
    I have one of those flash as WRsssssssssssss, its got a clutch

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by dino3310 View Post
    almost 2 safari tanks in that picture
    Quote Originally Posted by oneblackflag View Post
    One thing that puts me off the Safari is it seems to have their logo visibly stamped into it, I'd rather it was just a clean slate (I'm being anal I know).
    An interesting (well to me anyway) side note, Phil and I stopped somewhere one day to get gas and we were asked about these "Safari" motorbikes we were riding, apparently the joker had never heard of them before

Thread Information