Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: The WR250 Thread

Bike
    XT660R / TTR250 / 2 old Montesa's
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave h View Post
    I've started to notice that snatchiness off idle alot more since I've been commuting with the bike the last couple of weeks, seem to be getting used to it though. Never really noticed it trailriding. Maybe it's just the nature of EFI.
    Quote Originally Posted by Transalper View Post
    Tank scratches at their worst on my WR... attached

Mine is a little snatchy too, kind of assume it's injector related,
    It is.... there is a mod to the twist grip that helps..

what happens is the TPS is senceing the small movement of the throttle you make with out knowing..
    every time it sences a movement the ECU richen the fuel mixture thinking you are going to accelerate
    when you don't it leans it back out... It's this jumping between the two fuel ratios " open & closed fueling loops" thats what makes the bike surge..
    On my XT660R constance throttle fuel ratio is 13.6:1 closed loop , accelearation it's 14.7:1 open loop...

The mod is to change the twist grip to a duel ratio so the first 1/3 of the thottle is at a lower ratio..
    so any movements are smaller & the TPS dose not sence them so easly...
    Also to much chain slack & worn / lose cush drive rubbers will make the XTR surge...

thats why you don't notice the surging trail rideing... off & on the gas all the time... not at a constant throttle setting..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	j-3.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	98.9 KB 
ID:	288668  
    Pete

90% of all Harleys built are still on the road... The other 10% made it back home...
    Ducati... Makeing riders into mechaincs since 1964...

Bike
    500EXC
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by pete-blen View Post
    It is.... there is a mod to the twist grip that helps..

what happens is the TPS is senceing the small movement of the throttle you make with out knowing..
    every time it sences a movement the ECU richen the fuel mixture thinking you are going to accelerate
    when you don't it leans it back out... It's this jumping between the two fuel ratios " open & closed fueling loops" thats what makes the bike surge..
    On my XT660R constance throttle fuel ratio is 13.6:1 closed loop , accelearation it's 14.7:1 open loop...

The mod is to change the twist grip to a duel ratio so the first 1/3 of the thottle is at a lower ratio..
    so any movements are smaller & the TPS dose not sence them so easly...
    Also to much chain slack & worn / lose cush drive rubbers will make the XTR surge...

thats why you don't notice the surging trail rideing... off & on the gas all the time... not at a constant throttle setting..
    So it looks like you cut a little grove into the grip, correct? I'll have to have a look at this tomorrow. Seems like people get good results adjusting the TPS position if its out of spec, same goes for increasing the idle up towards 1650: http://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/t5...osition+SEnsor

Will have a play around tomorrow see if I can get some results....

Yea you could just use the clutch more I know but... Im lazy :

* Well that was easy, just turned up the idle quite a bit, didn't bother going into diagnostics mode to see the tachometer. Feels a whole lot better now, not 100% may adjust the TPS at some stage.

Bike
    2010 wr250r
    Got my Safari tank fitted last week, fits well and seems solid as and fark its good not having to gas up every 5minutes

Had a strange electrical prob yesterday though which has me stumped.

Went for a 2 hour trail ride (karapoti from the akas end, pram track etc ) did a couple of shallow river crossings and rode through a lot of puddles, came off once but not in water.
    Got back to the parking area and turned bike off with key. One ciggie later turned key back on, made the same noise it always does (fuel pump priming?) but the noise just kept on going and hitting the start button did nothing.

Crash started it and back home 40mins later tried the key and it was fine. Its water related i'm sure but I want to get it sorted because if it happens in a place where I cant crash start it then there will be tears

Bike
    2001 R1150GS
    i put vaseline or simular on any electrics that may/possibly be prone to shorting, connections like that thing at the top of the spark plug lead
    'Good things come to those who wait'
    Bollocks, get of your arse and go get it

Bike
    KTM 640 Enduro
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave h View Post
    Got back to the parking area and turned bike off with key. One ciggie later turned key back on, made the same noise it always does (fuel pump priming?) but the noise just kept on going and hitting the start button did nothing.

Crash started it and back home 40mins later tried the key and it was fine. Its water related i'm sure but I want to get it sorted because if it happens in a place where I cant crash start it then there will be tears
    That sounds suspiciously like a clutch/neutral switch starter interlock fault. Most newer e-start bikes won't switch on the starter motor unless the clutch is pulled in &/or the bike is in neutral so check those switches & their associated wiring 1st.

Cheers
    Clint

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    Quote Originally Posted by clint640 View Post
    That sounds suspiciously like a clutch/neutral switch starter interlock fault. Most newer e-start bikes won't switch on the starter motor unless the clutch is pulled in &/or the bike is in neutral so check those switches & their associated wiring 1st.

Cheers
    Clint
    Interesting you say that, I had my whole side stand mount including the switch off and sitting kind of upside down/sideways..ish the other day while I drilled a hole in the bottom chain bump rubber under the swing arm to mount my chain oiler through, anyway when I turned it all right way up a heap of water dribbled out of the switch. I'm surprised it was still working so that switch may indeed be a good thing to check.
    Don't know why it took an inversion to bring the water to the surface.
    www.remotemoto.com - a serious site for serious ADV riders, the ultimate resource in the making.
    Check out my videos on Youtube including... the 2011 Dusty Butt 1K - Awakino Challenge and others.

Bike
    2010 wr250r
    Thanks for the advice guys I'll check the wiring you suggested.

It's been fine since then, I've hosed it down and today been riding in pissing down rain and it's all good. After reading your replies though I went out to the shed and sprayed the sidestand switch with wd40

Going to wire in a usb charger next week so while I'm doing that I'll have a nosey.

Bike
    1999 BMW R1100GS / 2012 WR 250 R
    Mr Yamaha builds a darn fine bike
    Unfortunatly his electrics and switchs appear (in my humble opinion) to be crap Indicators are a piece of turd to try and turn off, you sort of push wiggle and hold the button down I have actually given up using them as it pisses me off when people pull out in front of me because I am rideing down the road with my indicator on Just because I am indicating doesnt mean I am going to turn, they should know that
    I have also had issues with the bike failing to wind over, hold the starter for a few seconds and away it goes Oh yes I am so excited about waiting for the day it dont go and I am parked up to my eyelids in papa mud, yessiree indeed
    Got the local dealer to look at them (under warrenty), much worse now .

Love the rest of the bike

Bike
    XT660R / TTR250 / 2 old Montesa's
    Quote Originally Posted by That looks like fun View Post
    Mr Yamaha builds a darn fine bike
    Unfortunatly his electrics and switchs appear (in my humble opinion) to be crap Indicators are a piece of turd to try and turn off, you sort of push wiggle and hold the button down I have actually given up using them as it pisses me off when people pull out in front of me because I am rideing down the road with my indicator on Just because I am indicating doesnt mean I am going to turn, they should know that
    I have also had issues with the bike failing to wind over, hold the starter for a few seconds and away it goes Oh yes I am so excited about waiting for the day it dont go and I am parked up to my eyelids in papa mud, yessiree indeed
    Got the local dealer to look at them (under warrenty), much worse now .

Love the rest of the bike
    Don't know about the WR250R... but the XTR wireing is a issue... wires are so thin & the plastic wares though if the are rubbing on anything... steering head area is real bad...
    Pete

90% of all Harleys built are still on the road... The other 10% made it back home...
    Ducati... Makeing riders into mechaincs since 1964...

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    Had the blinker switch issue too, dismantled, cleaned, packed full of TF2 Lithium grease, heaps better now, almost works like new.
    Stuff a heap of the same grease down the key hole when cleaning the bike too, the ignition key was a bit catchy at times prior to that.
    No other issues like those spring to mind.
    www.remotemoto.com - a serious site for serious ADV riders, the ultimate resource in the making.
    Check out my videos on Youtube including... the 2011 Dusty Butt 1K - Awakino Challenge and others.

Bike
    2015 R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Haven't had any issues with my indicator switch but the ignition does play hard to get from time to time... thanks for the tip.

Bike
    Blue grease works best

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    had another blinker issue after a dunking last weekend, just traced it to a small bit of river grit or a very very small stone if you like, it was stuck in a spot that prevented the switch from actually going all the way to the on position to activate my left blinker.
    Stone removed and cleaned the whole thing out again and all is well with the blinkers once more.

Now, what makes a wheel out of round and how much out of round is too much?
    At 50kph it feels quite annoying, at 100 it's gone again or just added vibration.
    Wonder if they did that on the service it just had by tightening the spokes wrong... or can an out of balance tyre (was my first thought is it simply may be in need of balancing) pull the wheel out of round?
    Just spun it by hand up on the jack and can see it's not totally true.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Transalper View Post
    had another blinker issue after a dunking last weekend, just traced it to a small bit of river grit or a very very small stone if you like, it was stuck in a spot that prevented the switch from actually going all the way to the on position to activate my left blinker.
    Stone removed and cleaned the whole thing out again and all is well with the blinkers once more.

Now, what makes a wheel out of round and how much out of round is too much?
    At 50kph it feels quite annoying, at 100 it's gone again or just added vibration.
    Wonder if they did that on the service it just had by tightening the spokes wrong... or can an out of balance tyre (was my first thought is it simply may be in need of balancing) pull the wheel out of round?
    Just spun it by hand up on the jack and can see it's not totally true.
    Tyre/wheel imbalance will generally alter with speed, most vehicles (bikes included) seem affected worst through the forties (kph). Its not that the imbalance has gone away at higher or lower speeds its merely affecting the vehicle differently.
    Poor spoke tuning will definatly pull a rim out of true. However adjusting the spokes to rectify a bent rim is not a ggod option.
    Do the sound check on the spokes, not amazingly accurate but all spokes should have an equal tension. Stick the wheel in a vice and hold by the axle so it is horizontal, give it a spin and use a ruler from your bench up to the rim. If it really is deformed I would be going back to the guy who did the service and asking some questions.

Bike
    2001 R1150GS
    ah just drop the psi a little and ride faster
    'Good things come to those who wait'
    Bollocks, get of your arse and go get it

Thread Information