Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The WR250 Thread

Bike
    500EXC
    Blog Entries

The WR250 Thread

Hi,

I'm looking into getting my 1st 'proper' dirt bike since my KDX80 as a kid.

Have been having a bit of fun on the old mans DRZ250 lately and its been bringing a smile to my face.

I really would like something dual purpose and road legal. Some fun in the dirt and short rides on the road just to get to the shops etc to save money on gas. From what I've read and seen I like the thought of getting a WR250.... the 250r would be best I guess but they seem a bit pricy and rare... I've read in other posts people having road legal WR250f 's but they are older posts. I see on the Yamaha website the new ones are 'learner approved' so i'm guessing they can go on road....

If I brought a WR250f thats not rego'd can I just buy indicators/ road legal tyres etc for it then get a vin reg and warrant?? ebay.com/itm/Street-Legal-Kit-WR250F-WR-250F-WR400-WR426-400-426-/221218212113 one of these?

Sorry if this is so obvious and is asked alot...

Thanks for any info

Bike
    Yamaha MT09 Tracer
    gidday blackflag, welcome to kiwibiker..yes you 'can' go through the hassle of getting a trailbike vinned and legal but buying a ready to roll machine is a much better bet unless your already an expert on the above. is price an issue and what would your budget be? easy to find a drz250 road legal or splash out more for the bike you want...wr250r!
    'the stickiest situation since sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun'

Cpt Edmund Blackadder

Bike
    500EXC
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fridayflash View Post
    gidday blackflag, welcome to kiwibiker..yes you 'can' go through the hassle of getting a trailbike vinned and legal but buying a ready to roll machine is a much better bet unless your already an expert on the above. is price an issue and what would your budget be? easy to find a drz250 road legal or splash out more for the bike you want...wr250r!
    Thanks for that. I was only hoping to to spend 5-6k... wanting to sell my current farm bike a CTX200 which i don't need. A DRZ would do the trick alright but really like the look of a WR more (not the best justification). Wouldn't be a problem if I sold my car which im 50-50 about, and just had a single car household! If I did sell my car would I be better of getting the 450 as i would probably do more road riding?

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    In the 250, I think the only one with the required wiring and stuff for the road is the WR250R.

I nearly bought one a while back, cool bikes.

Bit gutless, but the motors are built for long service intervals.

You'd get a second hand KTM enduro for that money I expect, but you'd wanna be bloody handy with the spanners. They need a rebuild as often as a lot of two strokes.

Edit. It's the R model that's road legal.

Bike
    XT660R / TTR250 / 2 old Montesa's
    The WR250F is not a long lived motor... not going to get the same mileage as you would from the R version...
    WR250F & YZF250 are based on the same platform but the WR250R is a totaly diffrent bike/diffrent motor.
    If yer after a water cooled motor than can clock up the Km...kawasaki KLX250
    all just depends on what yer really want to do with it... & what you may want to do tomorrow... longer
    road ADV rides etc..
    Pete

90% of all Harleys built are still on the road... The other 10% made it back home...
    Ducati... Makeing riders into mechaincs since 1964...

Bike
    Exxon Valdez

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    How reliable are them? Need another road legal trailie in the family & like light with might but I'm rubbish with spanners. WR 250r has been on the radar, too. Some folk are having epic adventures on them. Check out the ADVforum.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Wrrrrrr
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P6190127.jpg 
Views:	341 
Size:	228.1 KB 
ID:	287445

You can buy them street legal this WR250F i bought in 2004 new for 13k and kept it until about 18 months ago sold it for 6k before buying a DR650, used the WR for trail riding and alot of gravel, changed the oil regularly with quality fully synthetic oil & never had any issues motor was never touched other than checking the valve clearances which never needed adjustment. Great bike just no good for long distance riding. Coupled with horror stories on advrider mainly in the US of engine blow ups, motor revved to 14,000 rpm i think which i rarely used and it seemed all the US blow ups were high revving use.

Buying used i would be very wary unless it was the WR250R which seems the much better package for general use.

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    How reliable are them? Need another road legal trailie in the family & like light with might but I'm rubbish with spanners. WR 250r has been on the radar, too. Some folk are having epic adventures on them. Check out the ADVforum.
    Short service intervals I think...

Quote Originally Posted by pomgolian View Post
    You can buy them street legal this WR250F i bought in 2004 new for 13k and kept it until about 18 months ago sold it for 6k before buying a DR650, used the WR for trail riding and alot of gravel, changed the oil regularly with quality fully synthetic oil & never had any issues motor was never touched other than checking the valve clearances which never needed adjustment. Great bike just no good for long distance riding. Coupled with horror stories on advrider mainly in the US of engine blow ups, motor revved to 14,000 rpm i think which i rarely used and it seemed all the US blow ups were high revving use.

Buying used i would be very wary unless it was the WR250R which seems the much better package for general use.
    The WR250F is a completely different beast to the "R" I think. Not sure about the older ones though. I know ya can't get the road legal 450 anymore.

The R motor is more akin to one slug of an R1, then to a YZF.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Short service intervals I think...

The WR250F is a completely different beast to the "R" I think. Not sure about the older ones though. I know ya can't get the road legal 450 anymore.

The R motor is more akin to one slug of an R1, then to a YZF.
    They stoped importing the road legal WR250F when the WR250R came to be about 2008..
    WR250F prier to 2005 only has a kick start... No sissy button..
    The WR250F has 2 maps in the CDI...WR & YZF map... If they are standard they
    put out 21hp @ 7500rpm... but disconect the gray wire on the CDI & they go to
    the YZF map... 30hp @ 13,000 rpm... and adjust the throttle stop / pull the baffle out..
    So if you can find a unmodded one the motor should be in pretty good shape still...
    Pete

90% of all Harleys built are still on the road... The other 10% made it back home...

Bike
    500EXC
    Blog Entries
    Loving the input here guys.

Pretty sure i'm wanting the WR250r after seeing shootouts between them the DRZ, KLX and CRFL.... just gotta wait for a used one to come up near Auckland/Hamilton and I'll be kicking muck in your eyes... the xtra $$ brings tears to my eyes though.

Yamaha still has the 450f as road a road legal option in the catalogue, but yea I think the 250 will suit my needs fine with the usual mods.

Emailed a couple sellers on trademe mainly south island.... is it too risky to buy without inspection? they 'seem' like tidy lowish-mid k's bikes seemingly un-moded engines 3-8000k's

Bike
    uKTM Tiger 800xc
    Quote Originally Posted by oneblackflag View Post
    Loving the input here guys.

Pretty sure i'm wanting the WR250r after seeing shootouts between them the DRZ, KLX and CRFL.... just gotta wait for a used one to come up near Auckland/Hamilton and I'll be kicking muck in your eyes... the xtra $$ brings tears to my eyes though.

Yamaha still has the 450f as road a road legal option in the catalogue, but yea I think the 250 will suit my needs fine with the usual mods.

Emailed a couple sellers on trademe mainly south island.... is it too risky to buy without inspection? they 'seem' like tidy lowish-mid k's bikes seemingly un-moded engines 3-8000k's
    if you ask nicely maybe one of the SI inmates could look at a bike for you and give an opinion - still your risk though. I've bought cars and bikes on the sellers word before and had mixed results - but still happy with what I got, buyer beware and all that - a dude wanting to dump a clanger will tend to "accentuate" the positives and "gloss over" the negatives so buying sight unseen is not without its dangers - some folks call lying and cheating salesmanship

Most adventure riders tend to be "salt of the earth" people though so are reasonably honest....reasonably.... some KLR owners can be pretty dodgy though Don't be afraid to post picks on here, someone may know a bikes history - its a small world.

Its always exciting buying a new bike and seeing what you finally end up with -good luck
    ....wherezz that track go

Bike
    500EXC
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post
    if you ask nicely maybe one of the SI inmates could look at a bike for you and give an opinion - still your risk though. I've bought cars and bikes on the sellers word before and had mixed results - but still happy with what I got, buyer beware and all that - a dude wanting to dump a clanger will tend to "accentuate" the positives and "gloss over" the negatives so buying sight unseen is not without its dangers - some folks call lying and cheating salesmanship

Most adventure riders tend to be "salt of the earth" people though so are reasonably honest....reasonably.... some KLR owners can be pretty dodgy though Don't be afraid to post picks on here, someone may know a bikes history - its a small world.

Its always exciting buying a new bike and seeing what you finally end up with -good luck
    I've emailed these sellers asking a few basic things like has it had engine/exhaust mods previously, come with org tank etc and $$shipping

Anyone in any of these towns and willing to take time out to have a look... or even just look at listing and give ur opinion on price/cond etc, would get my thumbs up

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=638073573 -ChCh
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=632408439 -Invercargill
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=624544010 -Nelson
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=632948328 -New Plymouth

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by oneblackflag View Post
    I've emailed these sellers asking a few basic things like has it had engine/exhaust mods previously, come with org tank etc and $$shipping

Anyone in any of these towns and willing to take time out to have a look... or even just look at listing and give ur opinion on price/cond etc, would get my thumbs up

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=638073573 -ChCh
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=632408439 -Invercargill
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=624544010 -Nelson
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=632948328 -New Plymouth
    Ask Transalper to have a look at the CHCH one if yer intrested in it...as he has a WR250F..
    Pete

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    I have the WR250R and i bought new because I don't have the foggiest what I'm looking at second hand.
    It's taken a bit to get used to the way the power is delivered but I'm liking it a lot more now.
    My Safari tank only holds 13 liters so don't know how he gets 16 in the pone on TM but still good for 350km+
    www.remotemoto.com - a serious site for serious ADV riders, the ultimate resource in the making.
    Check out my videos on Youtube including... the 2011 Dusty Butt 1K - Awakino Challenge and others.

Thread Information