Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's the pick of the 250 four-stroke fours?

Bike
    Ninja 250 Prod, Suzuki SV650, Husky 250
    Blog Entries

CBR, ZXR, Ninja 250

I've got a CBR250RR (MC22), a ZXR250RR, a 250Ninja (08)- the CBR wins hands down - I can comment 'cos I have them all. CBR is a natural transition to a 600/1000 (as is the ZXR) - the newer 250's all have a very upright riding position akin to a motoX bike. Never had any issues with any of the bikes engines or handling wise, start first time every time whether they have been siting for months, or riden often. New 250's are like shopping carts, older ones' are shrunk big bikes and go accordingly in my opinion. Of note, the older ones have held and continue to hold, their price. It's also my opinion that they have more character, but that's very subjective and just my personal view. Ciao :-)
    Follow me on Twitter @KiwiGirlRacer

Bike
    R1, GSXR1000, VFR800, GB500. NSR250
    Buy a stroker - piss all over any of the 4 stroke 250s.

Bike
    2017 Yamaha MT09 Tracer
    old school 2 strokes are way more powerful then todays 4 strokes....ninjas etc are way underpowered.But the 90's 2 strokes are not Lams approved.....Wait for the Yam R250,it'll waste the ninja.
    Those who risk nothing, Do nothing, Achieve nothing, Become nothing.

Bike
    a smelly one
    Quote Originally Posted by bigreddog View Post
    old school 2 strokes are way more powerful then todays 4 strokes....ninjas etc are way underpowered.But the 90's 2 strokes are not Lams approved.....Wait for the Yam R250,it'll waste the ninja.
    The RD400 is LAMS approved Wish I had one. But as it is, my RD250 with Bassani pipes can get me into enough trouble anyway. They have so much more character (aka dubious handling) than modern bikes. 250 I4's are boring. Even an RG150 is way more fun, cheap, easy to fix and LAMS approved!

Bike
    2017 Yamaha MT09 Tracer

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by iranana View Post
    The RD400 is LAMS approved Wish I had one. But as it is, my RD250 with Bassani pipes can get me into enough trouble anyway. They have so much more character (aka dubious handling) than modern bikes. 250 I4's are boring. Even an RG150 is way more fun, cheap, easy to fix and LAMS approved!
    absolutely agree...your RD would be way more fun.
    Those who risk nothing, Do nothing, Achieve nothing, Become nothing.

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    no. For 2 decades, every 250 has been raped to fuckery. So unless youre buying 2012+, flag it.
    This. He's right. And shit.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    Roadstar 1600 & Royal Star Venture
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah311 View Post
    New 250's are like shopping carts, older ones' are shrunk big bikes and go accordingly in my opinion. Of note, the older ones have held and continue to hold, their price. It's also my opinion that they have more character, but that's very subjective and just my personal view. Ciao :-)
    This really is all you need to read, and it re-inforces both akzle and James D's posts.... small big bikes, and go like them....
    it's interesting todays noob's on 250's are such experts on how 'slow, boring, underpowered' the new 250's are..... There's a poster here with an RD250E, I had a 250E-DX for almost 2 years and did 20,000 miles on it, when it WAS the dog's bollox for a 250. The 'underpowered' GPX/ZZR/Ninja 250 is actually quicker on top end, but I cant tell you if they are quicker off the line than the RD.

The original (Japanese) master blaster Z1-900 was only 85bhp, the 'original' superbike? Vincent Black Shadow had noticeably less power than that, yet both were considered 'fast bikes'. It's not about 'RPM/HP/max power or speed' in the real world, it's far better to have a bike with 'USEABLE' power...
    If you need to wring the bloody things neck to get any real performance? Or, have one that is maybe slower but far more flexible and less rev fussy?
    Take the second,,, remember it may do 160kph+ but anything over 30km's faster than the limit, license gone! And realistically how often ARE you going to ride at more than 110-120kph?
    If the road to hell is paved with good intentions; and a man is judged by his deeds and his actions, why say it's the thought that counts? -GrayWolf

Bike
    Suzuki RG400 Yamaha ST125 Yamaha TDR250
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by delusionz View Post
    cbr250 is lighter and a little less power

zxr250 is taller and has more power, is faster
    You got it all wrong

The heavier the better, since most are so flogged thrashed and tuned by uncles and mates that doorstops or anchors is sadly all they are good for

Go for the old gsx250fws..... They are heavy as fuck
    "more than two strokes is masturbation"
    www.motoparts-online.com

Bike
    ducati 900ss f650
    Quote Originally Posted by GrayWolf View Post
    And realistically how often ARE you going to ride at more than 110-120kph?
    No one would ever go that fast

Bike
    2017 Street Triple RS
    Get a zxr250 or a cbr250rr, you won't regret it....

I got a zxr a couple weeks ago, every ride I go on I have a massive smile on my face... rev matching into a corner and blasting out to a million rpms, new 250s don't come close to the excitement

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by bawked View Post
    Get a zxr250 or a cbr250rr, you won't regret it....

I got a zxr a couple weeks ago, every ride I go on I have a massive smile on my face... rev matching into a corner and blasting out to a million rpms, new 250s don't come close to the excitement
    Just reinforces..... sports 250's are THRASHED TO FUCK......... buy something less abused!
    If the road to hell is paved with good intentions; and a man is judged by his deeds and his actions, why say it's the thought that counts? -GrayWolf

Bike
    2017 Street Triple RS
    As long as the bikes are maintained they can do it day in, day out for 50k+ kms I don't see the problem

Bike
    As long as the bikes are maintained they can do it day in, day out for 50k+ kms I don't see the problem
    because they are all getting 'closer' or are at the 50k+ mark.. and are now becoming potential grenades....

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    They're not maintained, that's the issue. It only needs one owner to not understand the need for an oil change and irrespective of the habits of the subsequent owners it's lifespan is shortened. I've seen one unbodged nicely maintained ZXR250 in the last 20 years, and that was owned by a pedantic ex-KBer. I owned a brand new GSXR250 nearly 25 years ago, and had it for 10,000kms. Except for the sinking into the lawn and breaking a mirror off issue it was cherry. Within 5000km of use by the next owner it was a mess. Rusty chain, rust marks and paint flaking off at the frame welds, broken bodywork, a dented front rim and a seized front brake caliper, hooked rear sprocket, etc, etc. The "owner" got all pissy at my obvious horror and never turned up on the rides we used to organise back then again.

How many owners of those things replace steering head bearings, wheel bearings, sprocket carrier bearings, swingarm bushes and control cables routinely? How many get new cam-chains at the correct intervals? How many get valve clearances checked regularly? When was the last carb balance and compression check? What about suspension components, seals and oil? Carb diaphragms? Carb o-ings? Replacement fuel taps? I often think about owning something wee with a sky high RPM capability but within 10 minutes of looking at one I've usually doubled the extortionate purchase price with maintenance items only. Who knows what mechanical chaos is lurking within without a proper look?
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    Suzuki RG400 Yamaha ST125 Yamaha TDR250
    Blog Entries
    If you still want one, here's a video of what they were like before Joe crescent and Harry hammer got a hold of them

"more than two strokes is masturbation"
    www.motoparts-online.com

Thread Information