Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What's the pick of the 250 four-stroke fours?

Bike
    89 suzuki rgv 250

250cc

I had a 93 zxr250 c as my first bike and loved it!! Sounded the part and had enough power to keep me interested. Had 40xxxkm and never gave me any issues.

Bike
    1989 Kawasaki ZXR250A
    I currently have an 89 zxr250a. It is the most fun I've had on a bike so far. it is slightly uncomfortable on long rides but keeps you amused the whole time and if you are handy with a staple gun and foam you can fix that. You can scrape the pegs without feeling uneasy about the tyres letting go and the sound it makes in the higher rpm is very addictive. They are great looking bikes too for their age. parts are not easy to come by but so far the important ones (chain, sprockets, oil, filter, fork seals and oil, wheel bearings, brake pads, carburettor kits etc) haven't proved to be too much of an issue. It has done 57000kms and so far after ironing out a few wrinkles it passes warrants and runs mint with no hesitation. The best part is I don't feel bad about pushing it hard because I didn't pay moon money for it and therefore if it breaks I'm not taking a big loss (around $1900 so far including servicing and parts). Also the 91 and newer zxr250 are power limited to something like 39hp the A model is 45 at the flywheel. Theres my two cents.

Bike
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 RR
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    not at all.

they are rad.

i have one in pieces for a rainy day.

the main failure was the rear cylinder as it tended to overheat. there are fifty ways around this. this engine has not been smoked. infact i think i might even have two engines. but one is definitely a good runner.
    I had one of those back in the day. Actually I had two of them. I don't know why I bought the second when the first was such a dog. Burnt holes in two pistons cruising home from Whanganui one New Year. They are often voted as one of the worst bikes ever made. Now the TZR that I followed them up with, THAT was a bike! Plenty of fast, and yet very rideable for a stroker. But I reminisce. That was over 20 years ago and time has not been kind to that era of 250s. Find something newer.

Bike
    FZR,Jog,GZ maybe CBR?
    They are fast and nimble and are great to ride. They sound awesome and are pretty good in the power department for what they are. These are not the kind of bikes you take to a dealer when stuff wears out/breaks. Parts can be expensive and can be hard to find - voice of experience - 2KR Yammy bits are a right shit to find new and used. 4 cylinder = 4 plugs not 1 or 2 like the modern ones. They won't be that economical either. 4 Carburetors to clean and balance. Working on them can be a pain - have to take the headers off to replace the oil filter which is a bitch of a job. I still do it every 5,000 kms when I change the oil. Take care of it, it will take care of you. Best to steer clear unless you can handle a screwdriver and don't mind wrenching.

I wouldn't discount them completely. They are old and they will need money spent on them if you want them to perform how they should.
    Skulls N Flames. Bye bye FZR may you have many more miles with your new owner. 600cc time soon!

Thread Information