Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Suspension history of USDs?

Bike
    Yamaha MT09 Tracer
    in their modern form i remember production mx and enduro bikes having them from 1989 onwards...mostly the 125's and 250's. i remember the 'new at the time' rmx250 had them
    'the stickiest situation since sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun'

Cpt Edmund Blackadder

Bike
    Yamaha MT09 Tracer
    and of course they became de rigueur throughout the '90s, their main advantage being the lack of underhang below the front axle...although i cant recall the last time i was thrown over the handlebars due to my rwu forks snagging me to a halt in a rut
    im sure dr robert could fill us in on any technical advantages of them over rwu's
    'the stickiest situation since sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun'

Cpt Edmund Blackadder

Bike
    less than I used to have
    ...my earlier bikes all had upside down forks at some point in their lives...nearly always ended up with broken ribs or shit like that, just after they turned USD..

Bike
    M109R, GS1200ss, RMX450Z, ZX-12R
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackflagged View Post
    Close the Patent Office!

Was more trying find Adjustable USD Fork use , before say 1990.
    Some Huskys, Ktms, Ducati (Racebikes) ,Kawasaki ZXR250 anything else spring to mind ? Who reinvented them around there.
    WP say 1986 on above mx models, and they did some GP bikes aprox early 90`s
    Quote Originally Posted by TLDV8 View Post
    The first USD forks by todays standards did not come on a brand motorcycle,they were a brand and in off road.
    Looks like that was around 1982 as per the post already.
    WP in 1983 1st mass supplier of USD for KTM

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Suzuki FA50 std fitment from 1980, but heaps of examples before that. The woeful Bantam has been mentioned before, and there's not much arguing that wasn't mass produced. Can't be bothered to check if the DKW the design was stolen from was usd.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Various things
    Considering there reasonable recent on volume production bikes, you would think there would be more info.There seems more History published on earlier styles.

"Just on more searching looks like WP claim to be first volume producer on MX models.Found a little (Very) info
    Quote Originally Posted by TLDV8 View Post
    The first USD forks by todays standards did not come on a brand motorcycle,they were a brand and in off road.
    Looks like that was around 1982 as per the post already.
    Which Simons? Can`t find any info, maybe using wrong search terms
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    Brad Lackey was running them (Simons) on his RM500 when he won the 500 MX title, that was 82 I'm pretty sure (quick google) yup 82.
    Yep. Simons UDX60's. Worth big money now. Was a new set on TM a while back. Similar to the sort of money Fox Factory Forx fetch..sometimes more.

Bike
    suzuki
    henderson fours went to usd's before WW1

Bike
    2 675R's & a Tracer GT
    Quote Originally Posted by fridayflash View Post
    im sure dr robert could fill us in on any technical advantages of them over rwu's
    I'm under the impression that the main difference is that USDs have a slightly lower unsprung weight. I don't think there's much in it with regard to rigidity. Would be interested to hear if that's not the case and/or what else there might be.
    Do us all a favour, by bringing yourself up to speed, before pulling onto the motorway.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Why would you think that?

What are the differences in the tube sizes comparatively? & would you think that would make a difference?

Bike
    2 675R's & a Tracer GT
    Why would you think that?

What are the differences in the tube sizes comparatively? & would you think that would make a difference?
    Just the impression I was under, I did say 'unsprung weight'. I would have thought an USD lower was lighter than a RWU lower. They're normally quite chunky cast aluminium (RWUs). I think USDs might well be lighter overall too. They're like eggshells on wall thickness. RWU stanchions are usually pretty heavy walled steel. Though there is the caliper mounting system difference too to consider.

Just my thoughts, I don't know if it's actually the case. As I said I'd be interested to hear if this is correct or myth.
    Do us all a favour, by bringing yourself up to speed, before pulling onto the motorway.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Just like frames. Bigger tubes = more rigidity. The smallest diameter tube is also the shortest instead of the longest.

As with monoshock rears (the increased size helped), but they conincided with proper shimmed damping.

Bike
    M109R, GS1200ss, RMX450Z, ZX-12R
    Suzuki FA50 std fitment from 1980, but heaps of examples before that. The woeful Bantam has been mentioned before, and there's not much arguing that wasn't mass produced. Can't be bothered to check if the DKW the design was stolen from was usd.
    Bantams and a few other makes at the time were direct copies of the DKW RT125 and the Royal Enfield flying flea was a copy of the RT100 but with rigid suspenders

Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    henderson fours went to usd's before WW1
    mmm nah they had two variants of a springer front end either trailing or leading linkage even when Schwinn brought he brand in 1917 they stuck with the same design; even the 1925 1300cc De Luxe was springer front end

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Bigger diameter upper tube means more contact area between tube and triple clamps, which apparently means a more rigid assembly.

Among other reasons.
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    Enough that the car lives outside now.
    Close the Patent Office!

Was more trying find Adjustable USD Fork use , before say 1990.Some Huskys, Ktms, Ducati (Racebikes) ,Kawasaki ZXR250 anything else spring to mind ? Who reinvented them around there.
    WP say 1986 on above mx models, and they did some GP bikes aprox early 90`s
    Being that I am of the suspicious type, I'll ask the question of "why do you you need to know?" Are you you specifically asking for your own general interets and furthering your knowledge base, or given the date you have noted in the your post above of "before say 1990", are you heading in a pre 89 race bike legality question?

If the later, you'll want to pay particular attention to the the specific pre 89 rules around forks that can be used, and when. It's very much a case of just because USD forks existed pre 1990, doesn't mean that any USD fork can be used. Period Ohlins and WP forks can be used where there is proof they were used on a specific model (ie Olins on Bimota YB4, 888 Corsa OW01, YZR500), or appropriately old enough WP's on say a AF1 250 Aprilia GP bike. ZXR400 are the only obvious USD fork /OEM production model and the rules are such that these are allowed, but only on a ZXR400. Essentially to stop every bike arriving with a set of ZXR400 forks on them.....
    Last edited by malcy25; 3rd October 2013 at 11:51. Reason: spulling!

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Sweet! Due to this post I can now pull out my Ex Lawson YZR & legally use USDs in Posties.

Now it was around here somewhere. . .

What's under this sheet? Drat an XZ400.

Hmm. . .CX500 Custom, no. . .

MVX250, no. . . .hmm.

Ohh, GPz305, but no,

Hey I didn't remember this Hesketh,

bah,

it'll show up I'm sure.

Thread Information