Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Suspension history of USDs?

Bike
    '09 Bandit 1250s
    Quote Originally Posted by manxkiwi View Post
    Back to the subject of forks for a moment. Robert, when you say USDs have a slight advantage in racing, are you meaning to work on? From a sus. tech. point of view.

As I said earlier in this thread, I don't think there's a massive performance/rigidity benefit over RWUs. Does it have anything to do with unsprung weight? Would love to hear your wiewpoint on them.

My understanding with USD forks, is the lighter, skinnier part of the forks are now the parts moving, so move faster, easier.

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    My 1954 James captain has them too......
    My first store-bought (second hand) bike was a James. 250 scrambler. Forks were conventional though.

Fuck I'm old...
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    husaberg
    I will post an article as it appears i are getting usurped in the Anorak stakes.
    I am surprised you guys spend so long on the net without posting this though (will add later)

http://world.honda.com/MotoGP/history/NR500/
    You can hear it as well on the site same as the NSR and the RC166 etc etc great site
    scanning story as i type.
    As you will see in the article the origional was a V8 and was legal because it had only 4 combsution chambers honda wouldn't race it even though it was legal as they didn't want to be accused of being dodgy........
    The 250 twin Turbo they built for Freddy was also oval pistoned and made more power i posted some stuff about it a while back can't remeber where but i will link it later.The rule allowing its use never evenuated so it was shelved.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocean1 View Post
    My first store-bought (second hand) bike was a James. 250 scrambler. Forks were conventional though.

Fuck I'm old...
    they went to FB AMC forks later. i think the usd "grease dampened" forks only were up to 53 or 54 they we almost exactly the same as Bantam likely same gaiters and all....
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    they went to FB AMC forks later. i think the usd "grease dampened" forks only were up to 53 or 54 they we almost exactly the same as Bantam likely same gaiters and all....
    Don't know what year mine was, I bought it in bits and there was no indication anywhere. Was the later frame they made for scramblers (the non-Cotswold one?) but it had the Villiers which I don't think was usual for the 60's scramblers.

The forks were shit of course, but everything was shit compared to current stuff. And the tracks weren't anywhere near as aerial, so I was quite happy. Was surprisingly quick when you got it right.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    Italian ones!
    Moto Guzzi used upside down forks on their singles from about 1948 until 1967.
    I think Scott might have had the first? I remember reading a "first" article in Classic Bike years ago and the first telescoping fork was on a Scott in about 1908 and it was USD.

Check out this picture of a 1913 Scott....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Scott_550_1913.jpg

Regards
    Gavin
    Imperfect action beats perfect inaction every time.

Bike
    2007 ktm 300exc
    Didn't Honda's CB350F have USD forks or was it just they looked like modern USD's ?
    There have been many a design to MC front ends Earls, Springer, Canta lever, BMW's para system etc. Almost as many as rear suspension designs.

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by ktm84mxc View Post
    Didn't Honda's CB350F have USD forks or was it just they looked like modern USD's ?
    There have been many a design to MC front ends Earls, Springer, Canta lever, BMW's para system etc. Almost as many as rear suspension designs.
    nah they were the rwu same as these twins (one with shouds the other with rubber gators for the SS look)
    they had shrouds either to cover the external springs or the unplated sliders or sometimes both (ie Norton BSA etc) like a lot of other bikes mentioned....
    the Z50s and so forth plus a lot of Scooters were also USD.....or Male Slider because they could be made cheaply as a fabrication exactly like the James USD fork.
    A lot of the early 90 forks were about looking hi tech and they were no better then the conventional forks they replaced most were not even cartridge.

Quote Originally Posted by haydes55 View Post
    My understanding with USD forks, is the lighter, skinnier part of the forks are now the parts moving, so move faster, easier.
    with the slider mounted below they can be made with less unsprung weight
    they can aslo be stiffer as the most stress is in the area below the fork yoke. Which is why those 80's fork braces were just a fashion accessory, what you needed was a deeper yoke.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hondadax.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	31.5 KB 
ID:	292623   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1974-honda-z50-4.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	601.4 KB 
ID:	292624   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Honda%20CB350K4%2074%20%201.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	70.2 KB 
ID:	292625   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clk0_1.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	229.7 KB 
ID:	292626  
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    Africa Twin DCT.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasherfromwayback View Post
    Yep. Simons UDX60's. Worth big money now. Was a new set on TM a while back. Similar to the sort of money Fox Factory Forx fetch..sometimes more.
    Off topic but it seems a lot of those parts in general are spendy these days.
    I brought a RM125S new from Colemans in 1976 (in box's now) some time in the 1990's (iirc) I was at Mount Eden Motorcycle Wreckers when you could just wander around looking for parts (H2 parts) and what did I find,a mint DG radial head for said model RM125 asking price $15.
    I could probably double my money.

The BSA (DKW) Bantam had a USD of sorts but its a stretch,based more on cost and ease of manufacture perhaps.

Bike
    Various things
    Quote Originally Posted by TLDV8 View Post
    Off topic but it seems a lot of those parts in general are spendy these days.
    I brought a RM125S new from Colemans in 1976 (in box's now) some time in the 1990's (iirc) I was at Mount Eden Motorcycle Wreckers when you could just wander around looking for parts (H2 parts) and what did I find,a mint DG radial head for said model RM125 asking price $15.
    I could probably double my money.

The BSA (DKW) Bantam had a USD of sorts but its a stretch,based more on cost and ease of manufacture perhaps.
    Nice find mate! And double your money? Fuck me...a mint DG head for your RM would fetch around 4-5 hundred US on Ebay I'd think mate.

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasherfromwayback View Post
    Nice find mate! And double your money? Fuck me...a mint DG head for your RM would fetch around 4-5 hundred US on Ebay I'd think mate.
    Go back a few pages on the ESE thread.
    http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...post1130724331
    I reminder distinctly .

Thread Information