Thread: Wrecking: BMW R75/5 swb 1973

Bike
    1999 Suzuki DR650SE

Arrow Wrecking: BMW R75/5 swb 1973

Hi,

The bike has been in storage for about 18 years in Rotorua. There is a lot of corrosion from sulphur on anything chrome, brass or copper. That and the expired rego mean it's probably not economical to restore, so I am selling the parts, starting with the engine. I tried starting it today for the first time and to my surprise it fired into life straight away, as if it had been only 18 days since the last time.

The motor can be seen and heard running and the bike could possibly be taken for a short test ride. The bike has done around 150000 km, although cylinders and pistons were replaced at some stage with those off a wreck. No visible oil leaks on the engine.

The bike is a short wheel base, has a 22l tank and a good after-market seat that almost looks like the original. Instruments, headlight and mufflers are off a /6 and the exhaust headers are stainless. Other than that it's original.

The spokes have fared worst in the sulphur. All chrome is gone and the nipples are black. I doubt too many of them will turn, meaning the spokes may have to be cut to restore the wheels. Alloy parts, on the other hand, are only slightly corroded and should clean up ok.

All switches work, but need a little cleaning up inside. There may be a problem with the charging system now, as the charge light stays on until about 3000 rpm.

I want to sell the motor first, so the purchaser can hear it running. After that everything else will go. Prices are negotiable.

Regards,
    Peter.

Bike
    Very Modded DR650
    got any pics of the whole bike?
    www.AdventureRidingNZ.co.nz NZ's dedicated Adventure Riding Community
    Forums, free GPS track downloads and much more. Now over 5700 members, are you one of them?

Bike
    1999 Suzuki DR650SE
    Hi Eddie,

Yes, I do. Let's see whether this link works: https://plus.google.com/photos/10676...25145330435553

I'm happy to take more photos. Just ask me what you want to see.

Regards,
    Peter.

Bike
    2005 Boulevard
    Hey are you still selling this whole bike or have you parted it out already?

Cheers,

Royce

Bike
    1999 Suzuki DR650SE
    Hi Royce,

I have been busy with lots of other things, so haven't done any more about it. I was about to put the engine on ebay, so if you are interested I can hold off.

Frankly, I didn't think the bike would be sellable whole, that's why I want to sell the bits, but I'm willing to sell it complete.

Regards,
    Peter.

Bike
    2005 Boulevard
    Thanks for the quick reply Peter.
    I know you say prices are negotiable but I would be interested to know what you would sell it complete for? I am real keen on restoring one of these bikes but theyre too much for me on trademe.

Cheers,

Royce

Bike
    1999 Suzuki DR650SE
    Seeing you are pressing me I'll start the haggling at $2000.

I have never seen an R75 of that vintage on Trademe. The only thing close today is an R65 for $4500. Obviously that's not a fair comparison, either, because that's a running and registered bike. Mine runs, but it's not registered and would need a VIN plate with the appropriate checks, etc. @ VTNZ or VINZ. I suspect that it would pass the inspection as-is. Haven't ridden it or tested the brakes, but being drums I expect them to work.

You will want to see it before taking this too much further.

Regards,
    Peter.

Bike
    2005 Boulevard
    Haha not trying to haggle, just didnt want to waste your time if you were dreaming.
    I wont be up your way until around christmas.
    I wont stop you putting it on ebay but i will contact you again before christmas, see if its still knocking about and hopefully take a look.

Thanks,

Royce

Bike
    1999 Suzuki DR650SE
    We are working through summer, so will be home. Email me when you want to see it: beddhist at gmail.

Regards,
    Peter.

Thread Information