Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Windows 8.1

Bike
    Your mom
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    what you need are sometmotherfucking workspaces. Cue some motherfucking linux. I think most of them do it, but fedora is badassest.
    Fuck workspaces, just log into the next terminal or open up a new tab in the terminal.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Time marches on... I just installed Win8.1 today on my work laptop However... it's dual booting with Win7, which will remain my main OS, while Win8 will be for testing along with all software versions for it. We've put out a few Surfaces in the last couple of months, and too many questions are coming back "How do I?". So much for a fancy tablet, they're not using their desktops/laptops any more, so suddenly I'm being asked for the whole suit of apps including PBX software etc

Gotta test all that, plus some oddities around access to them from printers and suchlike for scanned docs. Still, I "had" to have a bigger SSD to handle 3 partitions, and it's faster Next year I'll replace Win8 with Win9, as that's now slated for release next year (fark, 8 was launched in 2012! so it's actually in keeping with the 3 year cycle)

Quote Originally Posted by Mental Trousers View Post
    I'm betting that next they'll make the Start button will bring up a miniature Metro interface next.
    Yup, looks likely dammit: http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/new-produ...ptember-event/
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Various
    We're using Windows 8.1 Pro on almost all the machines at work and have no problems. We have users aged from early 20's right through to 60+ and none have an issue using it, though they all have one thing in common: http://www.iobit.com/iobitstartmenu8.php it's free and it works. Makes it almost indistinguishable from Windows 7.
    The other thing I've found with Windows 8.1 is that the search function on the charms menu is by far your best friend if you've used previous versions of Windows and know what things are called, makes it a breeze to find stuff.

This is however not to be taken as an endorsement of any sort for Microsoft! Bunch of arseholes...

My 2c, take it or leave it.

Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? ...He's a mile away and you've got his shoes

Bike
    CBR450RR
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mental Trousers View Post
    I'm betting that next they'll make the Start button will bring up a miniature Metro interface next.
    Yup, looks likely dammit: http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/new-produ...ptember-event/
    I must've been pissed when I wrote that, it looks more like something Shaun wrote.

Microsoft just can't admit they're wrong. The Win7 Start menu was the most popular version of the Start menu on Windows ever. Trying to change the way people do things every couple of years makes nobody happy. It's why Windows alternates between shit and excellent.
    Zen wisdom: No matter what happens, somebody will find a way to take it too seriously. - obviously had KB in mind when he came up with that gem

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Bike
    XR200
    Thanks cs363, just downloaded it to try.

I have been sticking with W 8.1 so far to force myself to learn Metro but mostly avoid it. Using a laptop and no touch screen.

Bike
    Various
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston001 View Post
    Thanks cs363, just downloaded it to try.

I have been sticking with W 8.1 so far to force myself to learn Metro but mostly avoid it. Using a laptop and no touch screen.
    No worries, I'll be interested to see how you find it.
    The Metro thing is arse IMHO, just Microsoft trying to be Apple. OK I guess if you are used to Apple products or tablets/smart phones that are similar concepts but if you're like me and have been used to using earlier versions of Windows on a PC or laptop then it's a pain in the butt.

Microsoft needs to learn that it's not all about touch screens etc. Despite what they may think there's still a huge bunch of customers using PC's and laptops that were quite happy with the old familiar Windows navigation. I do like the faster/fresher aspects of 8.1 once you get rid of all the BS that Microsoft thought we wanted...

Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? ...He's a mile away and you've got his shoes

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cs363 View Post
    The Metro thing is arse IMHO, just Microsoft trying to be Apple. OK I guess if you are used to Apple products or tablets/smart phones that are similar concepts but if you're like me and have been used to using earlier versions of Windows on a PC or laptop then it's a pain in the butt.
    Clearly Microsoft wanted to bring everything together to make the experience easier between platforms. Clearly they completely misunderstood Programming 101 (or maybe UI Design) where you design something understanding the platform it will be delivered on. A 5" touch screen is completely different to a 24" monitor 300mm or more away from you controlled by keyboard and mouse.

Remember of course they now want to release a new OS every 3 years, otherwise Software Assurance (or whatever they called it this week) is less attractive. Making it the same as the previous one means there is nothing new. However, they missed the productivity class that would have told them changing the way things are done constantly, ruins productivity.

I think they're still deluded enough to believe people buy their products to play with them (not get work done).

That said, is there anyone more stupid than those currently erasing contacts/pictures/video in order to make space for iOS8? (Ok, those queuing for the latest release of Windows comes close).
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Various
    Clearly Microsoft wanted to bring everything together to make the experience easier between platforms. Clearly they completely misunderstood Programming 101 (or maybe UI Design) where you design something understanding the platform it will be delivered on. A 5" touch screen is completely different to a 24" monitor 300mm or more away from you controlled by keyboard and mouse.

Remember of course they now want to release a new OS every 3 years, otherwise Software Assurance (or whatever they called it this week) is less attractive. Making it the same as the previous one means there is nothing new. However, they missed the productivity class that would have told them changing the way things are done constantly, ruins productivity.

I think they're still deluded enough to believe people buy their products to play with them (not get work done).

That said, is there anyone more stupid than those currently erasing contacts/pictures/video in order to make space for iOS8? (Ok, those queuing for the latest release of Windows comes close).
    Too true. Makes you wonder what world some of these people live in.
    And it's not just Microsoft & Apple, so many big corporates, ad agencies and so on seem to be living in a completely different world to the one that my friends, associates and I inhabit.

Worse still, they seem to get paid exorbitant amounts of money for pumping out this shite whilst the average bloke is working his arse off to survive...mutter, mutter, grumble.... this is starting to turn into an episode of Grumpy Old Men, lol.

(For those that haven't had the pleasure, here's some random samples: https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=Gr...:en-GB&tbm=vid )

Bike
    Bikes!
    Not providing a Micro SD card slot?

Bike
    2005 Z750S
    Clearly Microsoft wanted to bring everything together to make the experience easier between platforms. Clearly they completely misunderstood Programming 101 (or maybe UI Design) where you design something understanding the platform it will be delivered on. A 5" touch screen is completely different to a 24" monitor 300mm or more away from you controlled by keyboard and mouse. ....
    Remember Windows CE based PDA's, where the Windows desktop, complete with start button, was put on devices with QVGA 3.5" screens?

Seems Microsoft forgot.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    Remember Windows CE based PDA's, where the Windows desktop, complete with start button, was put on devices with QVGA 3.5" screens?

Seems Microsoft forgot.
    Windows CE is still on devices being sold The all in one headunits out of China are one example. Mostly hidden, but to adjust settings and stuff, it's there in the background.

I do remember the iMate devices. Yeesh, we've come a long way (and never gone back to Windows OS mobiles)

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post

Seems Microsoft forgot.
    i had one. (win 3.1 mobile?) an htc some shit. with a stylus. on the cdma.
    it fucking worked. spreadsheets and shit (i know phones do now, but this was then) and fair snappy for the probably 386 cpu the cunt had.
    full qwerty keybd. msn messenger (o yea!)
    so much nicer than palm pilot. be nice if it'd had a sim, i'd probably still use it.

Bike
    PopTart Katoona
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    i had one. (win 3.1 mobile?) an htc some shit. with a stylus. on the cdma.
    it fucking worked. spreadsheets and shit (i know phones do now, but this was then) and fair snappy for the probably 386 cpu the cunt had.
    full qwerty keybd. msn messenger (o yea!)
    so much nicer than palm pilot. be nice if it'd had a sim, i'd probably still use it.
    Google imate
    They did one with a sim. Can still get battery packs for it.

WinCE / Mobile is still a production environment - those parking ticket machines, atm's and other shit still runs on it.
    Reactor Online. Sensors Online. Weapons Online. All Systems Nominal.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by avgas View Post
    Google imate
    They did one with a sim. Can still get battery packs for it.

WinCE / Mobile is still a production environment - those parking ticket machines, atm's and other shit still runs on it.
    you mean imate.co.nz?

hrm....

Bike
    Bikes!
    Yup, just sold another 800 devices running CE.

/edit: Being used in primary industries. Lots running around in courier vans too.

Thread Information