Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Windows 8.1

Bike
    CB1300
    I had an HP PDA I bought off a mate. Ran for 18 months and sold it for what I paid. That's value.

Had I not needed the money I never would have until it died.
    Brilliant for wifi access to email spreadsheets web etc. Or play g back training vids on lunch. Had this bizarre little app that ran in the background unless you turned it off that collected all the e-business cards off any BT device it encountered. Spooky when you don't even pair and it just starts ingesting stuff.

Stupid phone / Tapatalk, apologies in advance.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Today I wanted to hit/hurt Microsoft (well, more than usual).

Set up the local account on a Microsoft Surface, plus all software, VPN, network drives blah blah all via "advanced" desktop. Delivered to customer. Customer wants to use cool apps on Metro screen, demonstrate to clients. Oh wait, it wants a Microsoft Account. Ok, enter all the details...

Final screen says switch to Microsoft Account (ie, you now login via Microsoft account, not local account). Options are Next and Cancel. Cancel cuts out the entire wizard and you can't use the Apps.

Seriously? Who approves/tests the crap Microsoft puts out? I need the local account to be active due to a number of configs for business. More reading and testing required, I might be able to link the Microsoft account to the local one... argh Further testing will need to be done on a domain account on another Surface...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post

Set up the local account on a Microsoft Surface, plus all software, VPN, network drives blah blah all via "advanced" desktop. Delivered to customer. Customer wants to use cool apps on Metro screen, demonstrate to clients. Oh wait, it wants a Microsoft Account. Ok, enter all the details...

Final screen says switch to Microsoft Account (ie, you now login via Microsoft account, not local account). Options are Next and Cancel. Cancel cuts out the entire wizard and you can't use the Apps.

Seriously? Who approves/tests the crap Microsoft puts out? I need the local account to be active due to a number of configs for business. More reading and testing required, I might be able to link the Microsoft account to the local one... argh Further testing will need to be done on a domain account on another Surface...

. .

Bike
    2005 Z750S

Yeah, I have that issue on my work supplied Windows 8.1 Laptop. Domain account off the local AD; but for some stuff like getting my Visual Studio Ultimate 2013 rigged up, and running Metro apps (about 1 out of 500,000 that I want) I needed a "Microsoft Account" so to avoid having yet another login/password I used my own.

I forget exactly how (sorry, makes this whole post a bit useless) but it is possible to use a Microsoft Account on a one-by-one basis with Metro apps off the store; you don't have to switch the whole thing over. Of course, it still means the whole abortion runs half arsed. Or, more half arsed than Windows 8.x was to start with.

I'll see if I can remember ...
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

Bike
    CB1300
    IIRC I used compatibility options to set run as for business apps as a temp work around. You should still be able to log in to the local account using .\username.
    From memory if you do that it prompts you for login to each app from metro.

Personally I hate the idea of handing over all your logins to Microsoft. I get why it helps with tabletised apps, just not desktop apps.

Bike
    CB1300
    Most of those apps that are not MS are available outside of metro / market.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Problem fixed itself (or got worse, time will tell). Get called today, Apps are working... how? Now logging in with a Microsoft account, and now I need a password for my emails?

For anyone that needs to know (or cares), Microsoft actually removes the local account and turns it into a Microsoft account, ergo, you'd have to set up another local account from scratch then link to Microsoft account to probably get it working smoothly. You can use local accounts, and the device will handle multiple accounts... but fark, after all these years, the usability of them has now fallen off a precipice.

Don't forget that using a Microsoft account means that it's soooo smooth and Microsoft just syncs all your data/setup between your devices... you've handed your data to Microsoft and who knows how secure that is.

I only finished the setup on Tuesday, Wednesday it was put into the users hands (in Welly) and today the setup has altered in quite impressive fashion
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    2005 Z750S
    See: "Sign into each app separately instead"

Here: http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials...ndows-8-a.html

That seems to have worked for me, for some stuff, without "too much" integration of accounts. (Still all a big pain.)
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    It takes a special kind of person to mess around with Shut Down, aka, turning off your computer.

It appears Microsoft wanted 8 to look faster, so simply turned Shut Down into a hybrid hibernation. So for all those that thought 8 was so much faster when booting than 7... no, it's just Microsoft tricking you.

The details: http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials...ndows-8-a.html

How do I know? Well, a user with a laptop walks into their office, plugs it in (power and network), but will the damn thing see the network printers? Deleting the printer and re-scanning also finds nothing until you restart it, then it's as happy as Larry (and any existing printer starts working fine). Over time troubleshooting it, imagine my surprise (after teaching them specifically to shut down) that Task Manager is still showing 5 days run time when they told me they shut down this morning trying to get printing working.

Thanks Microsoft

Bike
    CB1300
    It takes a special kind of person to mess around with Shut Down, aka, turning off your computer.

It appears Microsoft wanted 8 to look faster, so simply turned Shut Down into a hybrid hibernation. So for all those that thought 8 was so much faster when booting than 7... no, it's just Microsoft tricking you.

The details: http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials...ndows-8-a.html

How do I know? Well, a user with a laptop walks into their office, plugs it in (power and network), but will the damn thing see the network printers? Deleting the printer and re-scanning also finds nothing until you restart it, then it's as happy as Larry (and any existing printer starts working fine). Over time troubleshooting it, imagine my surprise (after teaching them specifically to shut down) that Task Manager is still showing 5 days run time when they told me they shut down this morning trying to get printing working.

Thanks Microsoft
    Add a shortcut to desktop "shutdown -f -t 0"
    Run by double click it turns off but the power supply keeps humming over even if all other lights are gone.
    Change the properties to run as admin and the whole thing goes.

Dear MS, Want faster boot up take the fucking splash screens out of the boot up sequence. Unless we are complete fucking
    Morons we already known we bought a windows OS and there are better ways to find out what version we are running.
    While your at it stop making aero the default and instead tidy up your fonts.
    Don't just circumvent one of your own recommended trouble shooting steps and the green option of actually powering down.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog View Post
    Add a shortcut to desktop "shutdown -f -t 0"

Dear MS, Want faster boot up take the fucking splash screens out of the boot up sequence. Unless we are complete fucking
    Morons we already known we bought a windows OS and there are better ways to find out what version we are running.
    The -f is for force, which ideally you shouldn't use all the time. You also need to specify r or s for restart or shutdown.

I don't think the splash screen actually slows it down much. I've put a newer SSD into my laptop and it doesn't finish playing the win7 splash screen any more...

Bike
    CB1300

Windows 8.1

Was just for the purpose of difference.
    Depends what you do day to day. If I have been scripting or multi server managing SQL from the console all that happens is the cmd window closes, some other processes stop, usually including explorer then nothing. No pop up, no dialogs just nothing. Even if I close all windows first.

And not everyone can afford SSD.

I'm not terribly fond of hardware solutions to software problems.

Bike
    Yamaha XV250
    Blog Entries

Twin Tabs.

Going to hijack this thread as my query doesn't warrant a thread. My laptop runs windows 7. Never given any trouble, but lately when I click on the Google Chrome icon I get two tabs opening, both showing the same homepage. Must be a simple task to reset but I'm not sure where to start. Any suggestions? Thanks.
    " Rule books are for the Guidance of the Wise, and the Obedience of Fools"

Bike
    CB1300
    If you have no personalisations your worried about losing reset to factory defaults. There is a button on the menu that comes up when you use right click the sprocket. Or google it if you are using a different version to me.

In the strings page from left clicking the sprocket is a home page, it sounds like you have 2 listed that both point to google.

Bike
    CB1300
    Not at a PC so can't give you exact steps.

Thread Information