Thread: Strumpet heads North

Bike
    Triumph Bonneville 208

Strumpet heads North

I intend crossing the Forgotten Highway off my bucket list on this trip North, and need some help from you Northern KBers that know the roads I'm intending to travel please.

I'm crossing on the ferry on Wed 5 Feb 2104 on the 1.30 pm sailing and intend staying at Raumati Beach that night.
    I want to be at Lake Karapiro on Friday 7 Feb. I'm a nana on the bike, so need to stop for the night somewhere on Thursday 6th Feb. Im a little in awe of Highway 43 and wonder whether I should stop for the night at Whangamomona Hotel or is that not a far enough distance to ride that day? Have also considered not going all the way to Taumarunui but following the road through to Ohura . I believe there is a jail converted to backpackers there? Whats that like? I am carrying a tent as well.

Any thoughts?

Bike
    06 scrambler,xrl,
    Blog Entries
    Staying at the Whangamomana pub is an option, also the Taumaranui holiday park is also good. Forgotten hwy is a nice ride, and the very short gravel section is usually very well maintained. enjoy Good accom in Stratford if you are running late on the 6th. The Naki boys n girls can give you more info. The old nunnery is now backpackers, not sure if the Ohura one is still operating.

Bike
    he's back !!!
    Ohura is an option ( PM Maha for thoughts he took a group through there recently & stayed the night ) staying in or as close to Taumarunui as possible would be my option then you have all day to ride & enjoy the forgotten highway lunch at Whangamomona hotel is a must then head to a beach location for the night
    I Used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Quote Originally Posted by strumpet View Post
    I intend crossing the Forgotten Highway off my bucket list on this trip North, and need some help from you Northern KBers that know the roads I'm intending to travel please.

I'm crossing on the ferry on Wed 5 Feb 2104 on the 1.30 pm sailing and intend staying at Raumati Beach that night.
    I want to be at Lake Karapiro on Friday 7 Feb. I'm a nana on the bike, so need to stop for the night somewhere on Thursday 6th Feb. Im a little in awe of Highway 43 and wonder whether I should stop for the night at Whangamomona Hotel or is that not a far enough distance to ride that day? Have also considered not going all the way to Taumarunui but following the road through to Ohura . I believe there is a jail converted to backpackers there? Whats that like? I am carrying a tent as well.

Any thoughts?
    The Prison is a great place to camp for the night, we had one in a tent when we were there. Ohura is a must see, there is absolutely nothing there and the quite is stunning.
    You can have tea at the prison, they also do takeaways.
    A possible route from there to Karapiro is https://maps.google.co.nz/maps?saddr...sz=12&t=m&z=10

Bike
    Yamaha XV250
    Blog Entries
    If it is hosing down at the time ( most unlikely ) There is a bed at our place in Te Awamutu. Are you coming up for the powerboats?
    " Rule books are for the Guidance of the Wise, and the Obedience of Fools"

Bike
    BMW R1200RT 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by tri boy View Post
    Forgotten hwy is a nice ride, and the very short gravel section is usually very well maintained. enjoy
    Not yesterday it wasn't. They had just put down some fresh chips that were the size of billiard balls and extremely sharp. Cut my rear tire to ribbons and got two punctures right at the end :.

Bike
    R100GSPD
    its 569 ks from raumati to stratford to whangamomona to karapiro . 326 from Raumati to Whangamomona.Book here,and have a good time whangamomonahotel@xtra.co.nz

Bike
    Triumph Bonneville 208
    Thanks for the advice and the bed offer. Im actually riding up for the national Triumph Rally at Elworth Recretional Centre at Horahora by Lake Karipero. Just been at the Magpie Madness Rally at Wincester (awesome as usual) and was told that Raemati Beach to Taumarunui was too far in a day. Any thoughts? Have now booked the Bluebridge and will be crossing on Wed 5 Feb on 8.00am sailing. I would have been mad to wait to see what was happening with Interlander (more good advice at 2.00am at the Magpie rally).

Thread Information