Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking to progress my wheelies. Help wanted

Bike
    05' Zx6r

Looking to progress my wheelies. Help wanted

Hey all ! Looking for some advice.

So about a month or two ago after reading a whole bunch of stuff online and watching a couple tutorials I felt I was ready to put my 636 to some good use..

I've had about 6 really decent practice sessions and made some good progress. Note I had never done a wheelie in my life prior to practicing..

At the start I began with doing a fast take off from standstill slipping the clutch - like I was accelerating away from the lights. Once I finished slipping the clutch I was at about 40 k's then about 1 second later I would pop the clutch and do a wheelie which I would chase out. I got some good practice from this..

After about 4 sessions of doing this with some pretty good results my mate told me I should switch it up and try wheelie without the added ease of backwards momentum from heavy acceleration. So instead I sit at 30KPH then roll on throttle for about a second then pop the clutch. This technique worked for me way better once I got the hang of it as I didnt have to come to a complete stop, reset, then try the wheelie all over again. I could just slow down back to 30kph then try again which was mint. I've also found that when I pop the clutch this way it comes up much faster. I have seen some wicked results and now can do some decent wheelies and chase them out pretty high with redline. Sometimes I shitmyself when I reach a new height then feather the throttle instead of just holding it on but the front never comes down hard I can always chase them till finish.

Although my wheelies are getting higher and higher and EVENTUALLY after HEAPS of practice I might hit BP, I dont want to do gay power wheelie chases down the motorway, I wanna be able to hold Balance Point wheelies at a slow speed.

I was thinking of just rolling at aobut 15/20 kph then holding clutch in, and then just dumping it. Giving more RPM each time and getting higher and higher, focusing on hitting bp and chasing less. I was also thinking of switching to staggered stance to try this instead of straight sitting down as I realise how high that fucking BP is sitting down, its madness watching people do it on youtube.. Standups seem a lot easier

Thoughts on this? Will post up some video at the next practice as well. A few more things:
    - I was also wondering how the fuck are you meant to keep your foot over the rear brake on stand-ups when the bike moves upwards underneath you? Wouldnt your foot just tap the rear brake as the bike comes up under you?
    - Some people reckon second gear wheelies at a faster speed are easier? Personally I think fuck that shit, I don't find first gear scary at all but is it better to do it like this?
    - Staggered or sit downs? Now that I'm relatively comfortable with sit downs I feel I could brave the weird staggered stance?
    - I just brought a -1 on the front sprocket but I read when learning it might be better to leave it stock since I'm using 1st gear? Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Get a mx bike.
    You might destroy your 636.
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    tl:dr. Learn to sumarise.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    I go bored in the first third of your post ............

Rev, clutch, whooooooooooo drop bike.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Waits for the " I need parts" thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Get a decent tool kit.

I can't wheelie for toffee but my mate is getting handy on his 125 mx'er. In the last 3 months. Fork seals, twice & front wheel bearings. His chain is shot, rear sprocket looks like a mako smiling, front sprocket has snapped a tooth & shines like silver, main shaft is knackered, gear box is doing strange things, the list goes on.
    The above is why I can't wheelie for toffee.
    There is an old thread recently revived which answers your questions, think Drew started it.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Get a Lithium battery - the reduced weight will help it wheelie ........ unless the battery catches on fire of course.

And full synthetic oil will help.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Stand on the pillion pegs, easier to get it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Would you like to borrow my practice ninja.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zx15r.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	62.5 KB 
ID:	289043  

Bike
    05' Zx6r
    Well. This has been helpful

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brayden View Post
    Well. This has been helpful
    Your welcome

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    Quote Originally Posted by Brayden View Post

I wanna be able to hold Balance Point wheelies at a slow speed.

I was thinking of just rolling at aobut 15/20 kph.
    636 with stock gearing is the wrong combination for this. I assume youve watched stunters riding nice slow, long wheelies? they re-gear their bikes to acheive that smoothly.

Bike
    Forza 155 SE Pit Bike
    Turn the idle up to 6K and practice holding the height with the rear brake rather than the throttle. Get used to replacing rear discs and pads.

I'm actually thinking of going out for a jam with a mate on Monday, haven't had a good session in ages.

I hope you're not one of the clowns recently spotted in Upper Hutt going up and down a street repeatedly, practising wheelies running out of revs in first each pass with a noisy pipe. That shit does nothing for the sport.
    Vote David Bain for MNZ president

Bike
    05' Zx6r
    If it is on the sub division with no houses on william durant drive off alexander road then yep that might have been me. Chasing out wheelies is the last thing I want to do though that's why I'm here askin for advice man. Me and a few mates will be heading out to there on the next sunny day this weekend, which looks like monday. I'd be keen to head along man learn something from someone who actually has some experience

Bike
    Forza 155 SE Pit Bike
    Sweet, I'll probably see you there.

Tip for young players. If you're using heaps of revs, keep the muffler stock. Helps draw less attention to yourself.

I'm hardly and expert though. Just enjoy getting out and having some fun.
    Vote David Bain for MNZ president

Thread Information