Thread: Marco Simoncelli, The Tribute Book

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries

Marco Simoncelli, The Tribute Book

I recently finished reading “Marco Simoncelli The Tribute Book” written by his parents Rossella and Paolo and edited by Paulo Beltramo, with contributions by other people who knew him: competitors, managers, crew chiefs, and his trainer among others. The book is written on a very personal level, sometimes surprisingly so, but having read the book you will have a better understanding of who Marco was, and who some of the other people involved in his career were. The book is attractively presented. Profusely illustrated, the photos are almost all of Simoncelli or family members. While other riders do appear in photographs of social situations, very few of the action shots include other bikes. A quick check reveals one photograph depicts Dovizioso in the background but that is rare. All of which causes me to wonder if this is the dread hand of MotoGP rights holders Dorna at work. On finishing some biographies of other riders I have felt just a little shortchanged with regard to the amount of text. Not this time.

I had not previously heard of Rossano Brazzi formerly Valentino Rossi’s crew chief in the 250 class. Simoncelli was excited when told that Brazzi was to be his team boss. Brazzi, with a reputation for being difficult, had earned himself the nick name “Benito”, presumably in “honour” of the Italian fascist dictator Mussolini. Simoncelli’s excitement didn’t last. Brazzi and the mechanics treated Simoncelli and his family with contempt. Brazzi referred to Simoncellii as an 80 kilogram donkey. Brazzi had a record of all the settings he had used with Rossi and he refused to move outside those parameters. Throughout the whole season Simoncelli’s complaints were consistent, the bike was running wide, the bike was running wide. No allowance had been made for Simoncelli’s additional 20kg. Next season his new crew chief, Aligi Deganello, fitted a stiffer spring to the rear shock. Problem solved! Apparently some of the sport's “gurus” can’t even manage something as basic as rider sag?

During this year's Moto3 race at Motegi, the commentators announced that Brazzi had signed to be crew chief for the talented Renato Fenati in the new SKY VR46 team. The commentators enthusiastically pointing out that Brazzi had been Rossi’s crew chief. Good luck with that Renato.

Throughout the book Simoncelli is depicted as a very sociable and caring person, which is somewhat at odds with his on-track persona. There are hints though that there was steel beneath the surface. On one occasion in Mugello Barbera’s brake lever hit Simoncelli’s bum as the former was attempting a close overtake. The front wheel locked and Barbera went skyward. The Simoncelli camp was of the opinion that Barbera had his head down looking at the tank, not looking where he was going.
    In a live post-race TV interview with both riders present, Barbera said, “He stretched his leg wide and took the brake”. The immediate reply, “Your sister stretches her legs wide.”

The Spanish realised early that Simoncelli was a threat so mention of him in the Spanish press tended to be ummm unkind(?). After he was involved in crashes with both Lorenzo and Pedrosa it must have been pure poison. The team received a letter containing a death threat - and a bullet. Simoncelli was to be shot on the grid at Barcelona, before he hurt anybody else.

The security precautions were impressive. Two troopers were assigned to be close protection. Having read the Spanish press the troopers were initially very cool toward Marco, but they warmed as they came to know the real person, eventually parting friends. At the start of the race there were plain clothes officers in the crowd, and there were police scanning the grandstands with binoculars. One particular concern was an area of public access near the grid. This time no public, instead a row of uniformed Police officers.

Simoncelli don’t make the best of starts at Barcelona. Hardly surprising really.

Pedantic of me perhaps, but there is one thing I found jarring: a double page action photo of Simoncelli taken from above, in Germany I think. The photograph is accompanied by an unattributed quote, a reasonable assumption therefore is that the quote is Simoncelli’s. “You live more going full throttle for five minutes than some people do in a lifetime.” Somehow I feel the origin of that quote is much closer to home; more “Indian” than Italian.

This is not a sad book. Rather than dwelling on the tragedy of his early death, the many contributors mostly remember the fun and the excitement he brought to grand prix motorcycle racing.

So should we.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    I recently finished reading “Marco Simoncelli The Tribute Book” written by his parents Rossella and Paolo and edited by Paulo Beltramo, with contributions by other people who knew him: competitors, managers, crew chiefs, and his trainer among others. The book is written on a very personal level, sometimes surprisingly so, but having read the book you will have a better understanding of who Marco was, and who some of the other people involved in his career were. The book is attractively presented. Profusely illustrated, the photos are almost all of Simoncelli or family members. While other riders do appear in photographs of social situations, very few of the action shots include other bikes. A quick check reveals one photograph depicts Dovizioso in the background but that is rare. All of which causes me to wonder if this is the dread hand of MotoGP rights holders Dorna at work. On finishing some biographies of other riders I have felt just a little shortchanged with regard to the amount of text. Not this time.

I had not previously heard of Rossano Brazzi formerly Valentino Rossi’s crew chief in the 250 class. Simoncelli was excited when told that Brazzi was to be his team boss. Brazzi, with a reputation for being difficult, had earned himself the nick name “Benito”, presumably in “honour” of the Italian fascist dictator Mussolini. Simoncelli’s excitement didn’t last. Brazzi and the mechanics treated Simoncelli and his family with contempt. Brazzi referred to Simoncellii as an 80 kilogram donkey. Brazzi had a record of all the settings he had used with Rossi and he refused to move outside those parameters. Throughout the whole season Simoncelli’s complaints were consistent, the bike was running wide, the bike was running wide. No allowance had been made for Simoncelli’s additional 20kg. Next season his new crew chief, Aligi Deganello, fitted a stiffer spring to the rear shock. Problem solved! Apparently some of the sport's “gurus” can’t even manage something as basic as rider sag?

During this year's Moto3 race at Motegi, the commentators announced that Brazzi had signed to be crew chief for the talented Renato Fenati in the new SKY VR46 team. The commentators enthusiastically pointing out that Brazzi had been Rossi’s crew chief. Good luck with that Renato.

Throughout the book Simoncelli is depicted as a very sociable and caring person, which is somewhat at odds with his on-track persona. There are hints though that there was steel beneath the surface. On one occasion in Mugello Barbera’s brake lever hit Simoncelli’s bum as the former was attempting a close overtake. The front wheel locked and Barbera went skyward. The Simoncelli camp was of the opinion that Barbera had his head down looking at the tank, not looking where he was going.
    In a live post-race TV interview with both riders present, Barbera said, “He stretched his leg wide and took the brake”. The immediate reply, “Your sister stretches her legs wide.”

The Spanish realised early that Simoncelli was a threat so mention of him in the Spanish press tended to be ummm unkind(?). After he was involved in crashes with both Lorenzo and Pedrosa it must have been pure poison. The team received a letter containing a death threat - and a bullet. Simoncelli was to be shot on the grid at Barcelona, before he hurt anybody else.

The security precautions were impressive. Two troopers were assigned to be close protection. Having read the Spanish press the troopers were initially very cool toward Marco, but they warmed as they came to know the real person, eventually parting friends. At the start of the race there were plain clothes officers in the crowd, and there were police scanning the grandstands with binoculars. One particular concern was an area of public access near the grid. This time no public, instead a row of uniformed Police officers.

Simoncelli don’t make the best of starts at Barcelona. Hardly surprising really.

Pedantic of me perhaps, but there is one thing I found jarring: a double page action photo of Simoncelli taken from above, in Germany I think. The photograph is accompanied by an unattributed quote, a reasonable assumption therefore is that the quote is Simoncelli’s. “You live more going full throttle for five minutes than some people do in a lifetime.” Somehow I feel the origin of that quote is much closer to home; more “Indian” than Italian.

This is not a sad book. Rather than dwelling on the tragedy of his early death, the many contributors mostly remember the fun and the excitement he brought to grand prix motorcycle racing.

So should we.
    Many people would be surprised how often it is stated in European ( and not only European! ) racing circles ''that is THE setting''. Interpretation, we are actually too lazy or too scared to try anything that if we are onto it may work better.

It happens here in NZ a lot. I recall ( as one instance of many) just during the last Nationals adding some oil to a fork ( a competitors brand ) when the rider asked me politely if I would mind doing so. Because the guy who sold the stuff was very dismissive that there was actually a setting problem.

You dont push forward by not trying stuff and you dont hoodwink your riders into believing that ''its perfect and as good as it gets''.

We get a steady stream of development parts from the Ohlins factory to try at the coalface of racing here at the worlds bottom. If it is proven to be a step forward it often makes it to production

Ph: 06 751 2100 * Email: robert@kss.net.nz
    Mob: 021 825 514 * Fax: 06 751 4551

Bike
    All of them
    Nice work.

Bike
    KTM SuperDuke 990R
    Awesome, I'm really keen to read this so thanks for the review.

Simoncelli was so rad and would have only gotten better with time.

Bike
    ds80 motorbike
    very cool, I like to read it, this kind of literature is really interesting and exciting, I always carefully select literature for myself. Recently, in quarantine, I studied history, problems and major controversial decisions in society, not an easy topic at https://studydriver.com/sex-trafficking/ in different feeds of Sex Trafficking Essays, analyzes, case studies, the impact of history, situations in the countries of the world and a lot of important things to learn, I recommend you go deeper too!

Thread Information