Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 1971 Kawasaki A7 Avenger

Bike
    09 GSX1400.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
    You can now get the TT100 in those sizes which woud look more "period correct" although the BT45 is my favourite
    It's going back a bit now, but I seem to remember Dunlop K70s and Avon something or other....Speedmaster ?
    When did the TTs arrive, late 60's ? What a revelation they were,wore them for years !
    Used to think I was immortal even in the wet !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    (I'm still alive,I think ?)

You'd never go hungry with Nigella Gaz.
    If it weren't for flashbacks...I'd have no memory at all..

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Avon GPs were popular - very round profile. Those and Dunlop TT100 "trigonic" were all the rage, mainly because the plastic jap tyres were so horrible
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    XT660R / TTR250 / 2 old Montesa's
    Quote Originally Posted by roogazza View Post
    and Avon something or other....Speedmaster ?
    Yer might be thinking of the Avon Roadrunner..

I use to use Dunlop K91 red arrow on my Kawasaki 400 S3 triple were next step up from the K81 TT100...
    Pete

90% of all Harleys built are still on the road... The other 10% made it back home...
    Ducati... Makeing riders into mechaincs since 1964...

Bike
    72 Kawasaki A7, 05 Kawasaki W650
    Slowly making progress, fixing up bits and pieces and getting ready for compliance. Got new tyres this week, but still dealing with a lean right cylinder and I'm running out of ideas.

http://a7avenger.wordpress.com/2013/...ts-and-pieces/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DZCDAlO.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	199.0 KB 
ID:	290945

Bike
    Smokers and a tractor
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Gayner View Post
    but still dealing with a lean right cylinder and I'm running out of ideas.
    Possible leaks?head gasket,intake manifold.Compression test?

Bike
    09 GSX1400.
    Quote Originally Posted by pete-blen View Post
    Yer might be thinking of the Avon Roadrunner..
    Sorry, haven't been back till now. Could very well be ?

Back to lean one side mike, I take it you have checked gearbox oil level ? or changed it even? Are you reading the plug to think it's lean and hot ?
    Bike looks great, love it.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by eelracing View Post
    Possible leaks?head gasket,intake manifold.Compression test?
    The problem is that, as a novice, I don't really know how to check for leaks, short of replacing every gasket (which I'm not ruling out). These bikes have a couple of extra potential sources for air leaks, too, being rotary valve design.

Quote Originally Posted by roogazza View Post
    Sorry, haven't been back till now. Could very well be ?

Back to lean one side mike, I take it you have checked gearbox oil level ? or changed it even? Are you reading the plug to think it's lean and hot ?
    Bike looks great, love it.
    Checked gearbox oil, but the dipstick on this thing is impossible to read. I think it's right, but not 100% sure. What would that have to do with it running lean? (genuine question, I'm learning 2-strokes as I go).

The plug looks lean, though I pulled it this morning and it's slightly more tan than last time I checked. If it were a four-stroke it would look absolutely perfect, but from what I can tell it's a little lean for a 2-stroke.

The right side of the engine is also much hotter than the left. I'm not really sure exactly how hot these things should get - the left side is pretty hot (could hold my hand on it for maybe 10 seconds), the right side is much hotter and I couldn't really touch it for more than half a second (that's my highly scientific measure).

Cheers.

Bike
    09 GSX1400.
    Was thinking more crank seals,tho they usually smoke on the side they're sucking gear oil.
    Sometimes if a cyl is working less you'll get a cooler header. I thought maybe if it was sucking oil you may get a different temp on that header ?"
    They don't get as hot as a 4 stroke but holding it for 10 seconds sounds cool to me rather than the other hot,if you get what I'm meaning ?
    I don't remember the Kawa system of mixing oil to petrol, if its fed into manifold or like suzi posi force to crank etc ? one side might not be getting a supply ?
    I wouldn't be running it around without checking those things.
    Sorry its hard to advise, not being there.

Bike
    less than I used to have
    ...as last post mentioned...dont be riding it until you know what is happening...too lean and you will burn the piston crown or even blow a hole in it...wrong plugs can cause excessive heat also...

Bike
    I've noticed that the spark plugs are hotter than recommended, but only just (B8HS, should be B9HC) so I don't think that's accounting for much.

Roogaaza, there is a bit of smoke but not excessive. I suspect there are some worn seals that could be contributing to the lean condition, but most of the smoke actually comes from the other side. The oiling system on these injects oil into the intake before the rotary valve. I don't really know how to check the oil system, but will have a look at the shop manual when I get home. I suppose it would pay to ensure the lubrication system is working as intended.

It's entirely possible that I'm getting all twisted over nothing - I should stress that I really don't know how hot these things SHOULD run, and it may indeed be that the left side is running cool. I can detect detonation under load though (running 91, that might have been a mistake).

Bike
    Smokers and a tractor
    Mike it's time to go back and re-check the basics.You prob don't want to hear this but with any smoker that has been sitting for a long time, you at the very least should remove the head and barrels and check piston/rings/rods/bearings and bore.This has the added bonus of replacing all the gaskets.It's just peace of mind mate,hell as a matter of course I'd replace everything,but that's me.

If you don't want to go there then at least do a compression test.If you hav'nt got a tester then beg,borrow or steal one.It's going to tell you if the one side's combustion chamber is way out of whack compared to the other.
    Also are the carbs running standard jetting and are they balanced?check them again,it's crucial.

Post up a piccy of the plugs...I'm with Roog on this one as you shouldn't be able to hold your hand on any air cooled barrel when at proper operating temp.

Bike
    Cheers Eel. It isn't about not wanting to do the work - it's still my intention to do a complete restoration of this bike next year. But I'm hoping to get a few summer months out of it before stripping everything down. I have most of the equipment needed for a leak test, but I might actually drop it down to my local mechanic just to make sure it's done right. It's really only the diagnoses I need help with, I can perform the work myself (I'm not a complete mechanical dunce, just a 2-stroke newbie with only a bit of bike experience).

The carbs are running the correct jets and are cleaned, but not balanced yet.

I'll post a picture of the plugs tonight.

Bike
    Smokers and a tractor
    Well a leak test is betterer but you can buy a cheap compression tester at your local Supercheap store.
    Remove spark plug,plug in tester,hold throttle wide open,and kickstart your tits off.
    However if your mechanic loves two strokes then put him on your xmas card list and pick his brains relentlessly.

What I like most about smokers apart from the glorious rawness of the engine delivery is their simplicity.
    Whatever you do,do not read the ESE works tuning thread on KB...those dudes are on a way different level and could put you off two strokes for life.

Bike
    Curse you.

(Surely you knew I would try to find this)

Bike
    TF125
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Gayner View Post
    Curse you.

(Surely you knew I would try to find this)
    Bwuahahahahaha!!!

Thread Information