Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Michelin Pilot Power 3

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    You poor deluded lot.

Bit less power (ok, half) and road 2, 26k from the front and 24k from the rear, included some wheelies etc.

Don't understand being happy with 4 digit mileage
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    Don't understand being happy with 4 digit mileage
    Because you're old.
    Nunquam Non Paratus

Bike
    Blandit 1200, DRZ250 K, Beta xtrainer
    I think pp3s are a development of the light carcase pures. I never really liked the pures when I tried them. Should be good in theory-less unspring weight but I never really felt the love. Much prefered PP2cts and plain old PPs. Pr2s are awesome in the right application. My GSX 1200 weighs as much as the moon and I should get 12000kms out of the rear. Thats more than twice what I have ever got out of any other tyre in the past! Horses for courses however....

Bike
    Your mom
    Quote Originally Posted by ducatilover View Post
    That's always good, my rear has managed somewhere around the 2.5k mark and it's in need of replacement any idea if they do the PP3 in a 160 rear?
    They sure do a 160, and there's a good special on them too http://www.cycletreads.co.nz/product...3_sport_r.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by mulletman View Post
    $199 new ?? 180 ? Ive both front and rear cant fault em yet, previous PR3 and 10k.
    $199 for a 120/70-17. See the above link,

Bike
    Good price but Avon City are doing $429 for a set of Bridgestone S20s[120/180]. That is tyre bang for buck inho.

Bike
    Custom Ag100
    Quote Originally Posted by SVboy View Post
    Good price but Avon City are doing $429 for a set of Bridgestone S20s[120/180]. That is tyre bang for buck inho.
    Yeah so as long as you like replacing twice as often.
    "Sorry Officer, umm.... my yellow power band got stuck wide open"

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by mossy1200 View Post
    I have s20s on the 14. Have done 2500km including 3 lots of drag days with a fair bit of wheel spin. Id say they will do 4000-4500 rear and front could go 6-7k if I didn't do double swap. Lots of grip and im running at about 40psi. They tend to get hot iff the pressure is lower.
    Cheers Mossy, yeah I kinda get the heavy grunty bike wanting a bit more pressure to reduce the carcass flex. Will see how the S20s cope, then the PP3s...and like Gremlin mentioned, seeing he feels sorry for us with such savage tyre wear, maybe the S20 front with T30 rear is the best compromise long term.
    In all honesty, tyre wear and fuel consumption were not high up on the list of considerations when selecting the Busa ...and I doubt it matters much to other owners of bikes of this nature

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    Because you're old.
    More like wise

Fastest I wore a tyre out was a thou, 1500km. Definitely enough to make a grown man cry. Sure was a fun 1500km tho! Knobbly tyres on the heavy BMW and yeah, you're looking at 5000km ish. Regular tyres, and I'm around the 12-14k mark. Hornet is stupidly good on tyres...
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    S1000RR
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    More like wise

Fastest I wore a tyre out was a thou, 1500km.
    Did you do burnouts for breakfast or what?

What tyre?

If you can make it on Kiwibiker you can make it anywhere.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by EJK View Post
    Did you do burnouts for breakfast or what?

What tyre?
    What a waste of expensive rubber. Never done a burnout.

Tyre was a Continental RaceAttack. Really should have been replaced after about 1000km, as it only had faint tread lines on a 1/4 of the tyre when it was replaced, the rest was uh... bald. Oh, and pock marked from having to do some gravel roads due to an accident. I heard later the shop had kept the tyre to show people when they enquired about tyres

Super sticky rubber is great when it's at temperature, but it was a slippery beast until then, and you had to ride it hard to get it to grip... evil choice...

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
    Yeah so as long as you like replacing twice as often.
    Dont think s20s will wear out twice as fast as pp3s. Say 5000kms average on the s20s on a 600?

Bike
    Suzuki GSX S1000
    Anybody done a track day on these? I did one and I had an awful time, somehow the bike just felt wrong. I happily blamed myself for this thinking I had just had one of those days poor lines and timing etc.
    A week or so later I'm discussing it with the guys in the shop where I bought the tyres and they made the comment that they are grerat tyres for the road but not great on the track. They were talking about profiles and compounds and shit and lost me a bit so I never really got the gist of why they thought that.
    I don't know if there is any truth to it or if it was perhaps just an attempt at good customer realtions, hence the opening question.
    I have done about 12k on the rear its getting close to needing to be replaced and I wanna do a couple of track days over the summer and am thinking of trying something different but if others say they are fine on track Ill stick with them.
    So who has used them on the track and what did you think?

Bike
    Your mom
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassmatt View Post
    Anybody done a track day on these? I did one and I had an awful time, somehow the bike just felt wrong. I happily blamed myself for this thinking I had just had one of those days poor lines and timing etc.
    Are you sure the tyre pressures were "right"?

Bike
    Suzuki GSX S1000
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOKEU View Post
    Are you sure the tyre pressures were "right"?
    Yeah thats probably a good point. I dropped em 3 or 4 psi iirc. Guess theres a different ideal pressure for differnt tyres (?)

Bike
    Your mom
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassmatt View Post
    Yeah thats probably a good point. I dropped em 3 or 4 psi iirc. Guess theres a different ideal pressure for differnt tyres (?)
    I bet the issue is more to do with the pressures than anything else, unless there was a manufacturing defect with the tyres.

Thread Information