Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Michelin Pilot Power 3

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassmatt View Post
    Anybody done a track day on these? I have done about 12k on the rear its getting close to needing to be replaced and I wanna do a couple of track days over the summer and am thinking of trying something different but if others say they are fine on track Ill stick with them.
    So who has used them on the track and what did you think?
    Just a wild guess here, but if you've done 12K on a rear already, then you're talking a Pilot Road 3 as opposed to Pilot Power 3?
    Power 3s were released earlier this year, and I've yet to see anyone take one beyond about 7K.

If it's a Road 3 then yeah that's not ideal at all for track work, whereas the Power 3 should be quite a good candidate for the track.

All that aside, don't you think you should be running around a track on a tyre that inspires confidence for you, rather than what anyone else tells you?

Bike
    Suzuki GSX S1000
    Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
    Just a wild guess here, but if you've done 12K on a rear already, then you're talking a Pilot Road 3 as opposed to Pilot Power 3?
    Power 3s were released earlier this year, and I've yet to see anyone take one beyond about 7K.

If it's a Road 3 then yeah that's not ideal at all for track work, whereas the Power 3 should be quite a good candidate for the track.

All that aside, don't you think you should be running around a track on a tyre that inspires confidence for you, rather than what anyone else tells you?

Yep its a Road 3. Whoops.....

Bike
    Your mom
    Because the PP3 is a stickier tyre and probably more difficult to get up to temperature than a touring tyre, would it help to run slightly lower pressures on the road to encourage more heat build up? I'm currently using 38psi at the rear, and 36psi at the front for road riding. I weigh around 70kg, add on another 5kg for riding gear.

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOKEU View Post
    Because the PP3 is a stickier tyre and probably more difficult to get up to temperature than a touring tyre, would it help to run slightly lower pressures on the road to encourage more heat build up? I'm currently using 38psi at the rear, and 36psi at the front for road riding. I weigh around 70kg, add on another 5kg for riding gear.
    Nah, the PP3 will warm up nicely even at the recommended pressures. Start there and see how you go. For road riding I wouldn't drop them too much from standard, say 2 or 3 psi down at most personally. And hey, your 600 won't stress that tyre too much anyway...

Bike
    Your mom
    Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
    And hey, your 600 won't stress that tyre too much anyway...
    Which is one of the reasons I'm glad I don't own a big bike, as I really can't afford those regular tyre replacements.

Bike
    ES XTZ
    Im running 36/38 on the SV im a 100kgs, during a ride around the port hills i stopped & checked psi, front 40 rear 46.

Bike
    my little pony
    All the more reason to ride harder, or do a track day...
    You've answered your question.

Bike
    Blandit 1200, DRZ250 K, Beta xtrainer
    Quote Originally Posted by mulletman View Post
    Im running 36/38 on the SV im a 100kgs, during a ride around the port hills i stopped & checked psi, front 40 rear 46.
    Fuck me! Thats scary!

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mulletman View Post
    Cold at 36/38 is fairly standard stock recommendations (rear is often up to 42 in manuals). If you checked them when hot they will have risen.

Bike
    ES XTZ
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Cold at 36/38 is fairly standard stock recommendations (rear is often up to 42 in manuals). If you checked them when hot they will have risen.
    Yeah id dropped the rear back to 42 from the 46, checked them last nite cold 36/38.

Bike
    ES XTZ
    Quote Originally Posted by SVboy View Post
    Fuck me! Thats scary!
    It seemed sorta ok ? but it did surprise me somewhat when the gauge went on.

Bike
    Custom Ag100

PP3 rear at 8500ks

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PP3.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	137.8 KB 
ID:	295877

Due to replace my PP3 rear after 8500ks, just down to wear indicators in centre and starting to slide a little occasionally under power.

On a thou and will be putting another on, good value for money I'd say.
    "Sorry Officer, umm.... my yellow power band got stuck wide open"

Bike
    that one in my sig
    I've got 4 track days on mine and they're holding up great. Loads of grip in the wet and dry and they look like they'll last as well..

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAl View Post

Due to replace my PP3 rear after 8500ks, just down to wear indicators in centre and starting to slide a little occasionally under power.

I'll look to replace the rear S20 with a PP 3 as soon as the exchequer recovers from fixing wagon brakes...current S20 is at 6000km and looking pretty fucked.
    . “No pleasure is worth giving up for two more years in a rest home.” Kingsley Amis

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAl View Post

That's pretty decent mileage from a sporty tyre

Thread Information