Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Michelin Pilot Power 3

Bike
    S1000RR
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    Cheers! Seeing as you are a Mainlander with some good weather extremes, how are the M5's for grip in either cold or wet conditions?
    To be honest I'm a fair weather rider so can't tell you much about wet riding However they are tyres to watch out for when cold (when I say cold I mean 0 - 5 degrees morning temp). Middle part is very durable and good for high mileage but they can be stone hard when cold. Had an oopsie moment 10 meters after leaving the driveway. DTC saved my ass that morning.

Went for a ride yesterday after work (30 deg high!) and as aways tyres felt smooth as butter on hot roads. I am not a fast rider (the bike is, not me) so the tyres seems to chew everything I throw at it. No matter how much I ride "spiritedly*", the tyres look as if didn't even break a sweat! (see attached photo). Definitely M5s are far more capable than what I can ride on the road.

M5s are more steady and smooth flowing into the corners compared to Dunlop Q2s, which has that agile quick drop feel. M5s are more like turning up volume on your TV. Very controllable lean feel.

Oh, biggest reason why I went 3 sets of M5s is because I got them $530 a set. Which is bargain compared to Q3s

*Instant license losing speeds
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20151010_122131.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	366.9 KB 
ID:	317676  

If you can make it on Kiwibiker you can make it anywhere.

Bike
    Sold
    Thanks for that - all good info. I hated Q2's which were OEM on my Street Triple. I got used to the feeling of them dropping in as opposed to rolling in but never trusted the bastards in cold, damp conditions. So far, the betting money is still on PR4's, even if they are bloody expensive. Total lifetime cost isn't too bad though as they last really well and besides, the right tyres contribute so much to safety.

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    Considered the Dunlop Sportsmart 2? I had them as oem on the duke and got 7000km out of the rear and 11,500km from the front. Not bad for a sports tyre I thought. Second choice rear lasted less than 3000km.
    Pretty sure the Dunlop OEM item on the SDR is not the same as the Sportsmart tyre available off the shelf elsewhere.

But yes, excellent life considering its traction related performance. I got 6k from the rear and the front's about done now at 9k.

Not cheap though.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    '13 Repsol Thou'
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
    I have these wear indicators showing on my rear. Wondered what they were, the center is still showing signs of life so still a wee way away from replacement.

I'd definitely replace with another set of PPR3's.

Quote Originally Posted by SMOKEU View Post
    Turns out I was just being a n00b.

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocean1 View Post
    Pretty sure the Dunlop OEM item on the SDR is not the same as the Sportsmart tyre available off the shelf elsewhere.

But yes, excellent life considering its traction related performance. I got 6k from the rear and the front's about done now at 9k.

Not cheap though.
    Cheers, wasn't aware of that and thought that was more of a Bridgestone trait.
    Nunquam Non Paratus

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    Cheers, wasn't aware of that and thought that was more of a Bridgestone trait.
    The OEM tyre is supposedly what the SDR's traction control is calibrated to. A claim that wouldn't affect my decision to replace them with the same if it wasn't for the fact that I really liked them.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    1999 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    Thanks for that - all good info. I hated Q2's which were OEM on my Street Triple. I got used to the feeling of them dropping in as opposed to rolling in but never trusted the bastards in cold, damp conditions. So far, the betting money is still on PR4's, even if they are bloody expensive. Total lifetime cost isn't too bad though as they last really well and besides, the right tyres contribute so much to safety.
    Just to confuse us, Dunlop make two very different tyres that have Qualifier 2 on the sidewall. Your OE tyres were probably Made in Japan, but Dunlop in the US also make a tyre with the same name, which is a much better tyre.

Thread Information