Thread: 110/80/19 and 150/70/17 dual sport tyre discussion

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries

110/80/19 and 150/70/17 dual sport tyre discussion

Discussion thread for this thread containing all the reviews: http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...t-Tyre-Reviews

In order to keep the thread clean and easy to browse (I'll add links in the first post to index the thread) I thought it best to create the discussion here...

In regards to the Continental Trail Attack, there are different batches, and possibly different models (depending on how you listen to), and it also depends on the model of bike, as to how much shimmy there is... Continental seems to be well aware of this, and I believe version 2 is on it's way at some point which some say should correct the shimmy issues...

I have a 1200GSA, and the tyre shimmied all the time. Neil at Experience BMW has an 1150GS, and no shimmy issues, so definitely a case of YMMV.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    First batch of Anakee 3 has landed and I've got my hot little hands on a set.

Review will have to wait a little while, as I've got some worn A2 on, then a South Island trip in Feb on Heidenau K60, then I'll give these a crack, probably over winter.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130119_113940.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	112.6 KB 
ID:	276593  
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    900 Hornet, Preddy, RZ's, A100's
    Blog Entries
    How much? And gizzus a go mista!
    "I like to ride anyplace, anywhere, any time, any way!"

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gijoe1313 View Post
    How much? And gizzus a go mista!
    http://www.cycletreads.co.nz/product...rail_tyre.aspx

RRP for front is $265, $350 for rear.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird
    That's a remarkable life considering their end application - not too far removed from my Street Triple! Excellent photos. Do you happen to know how the T Spec differs from the B Spec I have fitted? The photos look pretty identical so I'm wondering if the differences are internal.
    I'm not sure about the B rating for Pilot Road 3, but the difference between normal and Trail is summed up easiest with this graphic:

Bike
    Concours 14, S10
    What did you end up getting out of the K60's? My rear only did just over 9,000km. Front is still going at about 10k but is a bit chewed out from being hammered on the road.

Bike
    XT660R / TTR250 / 2 old Montesa's
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    First batch of Anakee 3 has landed and I've got my hot little hands on a set.

WOW... look like they have a lot of side bite on a lose surface...
    99% road , 1% road works...
    Pete

90% of all Harleys built are still on the road... The other 10% made it back home...
    Ducati... Makeing riders into mechaincs since 1964...

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by banditrider View Post
    What did you end up getting out of the K60's? My rear only did just over 9,000km. Front is still going at about 10k but is a bit chewed out from being hammered on the road.
    Haven't finished the damn things yet. Done very little gravel etc in the last year so they're in my pile of half used tyres (Along with a set of TKC and some other randoms). Pulled them off after the TT2000 and week of travel afterwards. I'll look up my spreadsheet to see how much they've done this evening.
    Quote Originally Posted by pete-blen View Post
    WOW... look like they have a lot of side bite on a lose surface...
    99% road , 1% road works...
    Remember that you're not really in the mood to lean a 1/4 ton bike over on loose stuff without something chunky, at least K60 or more. The edges are more about road handling, and they're quite well matched to the GSA, getting pretty close to the front edge, but off the edge of the rear tyre.

On the other hand, I fitted the Anakee 3 in March last year, right after returning from the South Island and they're still fitted. Granted, mileage has been abysmal, but they've done just under 9k so far and look pretty good, and in a couple of weeks I head down to Palmerston North for the 5 day Cycle Classic. I reckon I'll go via the East Cape, so that will be 2-3k all up when back in Auckland. If they continue past that point, they'll have done better mileage than even the PR3. I'm definitely enjoying them as well... favourite tyre so far for road and light (perhaps very light) gravel stuff.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by banditrider View Post
    Hmm, never got back to you. They've done 9025km and both will be good for another fitting (no idea when yet).

Anakee 3 have been finished off, took me over a year, review will be up in the next few days. Next up, I've re-fitted the PR3 front as it's got a little life left, and a brand spankers PR4 Trail rear. Just scrubbed it properly today, amazing how you forget how crappy worn tyres feel, and then how awesome new tyres feel. Bike kept begging to be thrown on it's side, while the Anakee refused to lean

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    It might be more than you that's been short changed! The advertising blurb about the road PR4 claimed a +20% increase in life compared with the PR3. Well, both my rear PR3's lasted for 15000 - 16000 km. Have now done 11000 km on the PR4 and very doubtful whether it will last any longer than the PR3's AND they're a sight more expensive. The one incontrovertible fact however, is that they're an outstanding tyre in the dry and sublime in the wet.
    Yes, no doubt that they are fantastic performers in the wet (hard to find a tyre that's crap in the dry nowadays). One cunning plan I have however, is that I have fitted a regular PR4 rear last month, as the regular and trail versions both have 150/70/17 sizes available.

The trail is soft edges and medium centres, the regular is medium edges and hard centre (albeit narrower hard centre). I'm figuring that as long as the medium edges provide enough grip, then the hard centre will give me better life. I haven't completed the review of the PR4T set, as I'm still using the front (only done about 4k), but the rear has already been replaced. Lasted less than the PR3T.

The PR4T rear, the edges melted a little and I used up the centre first (pretty typical, bike is heavy, and I end up doing fair distances upright). So, I figure the regular PR4 might be a better match...

One thing I can't prove... I could swear the PR4 rear is slightly more curved. On the PR4T rear, I was off running off the edge and you could see the sidewall had been used a little. After a trip last weekend (with some very nice sections), the PR4 rear isn't showing any use on the sidewall, but I'm sure the front PR4T has smaller strips than it did previously....

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Has anyone come across much info on the Conti Trail Attack 2? Cycletreads doesn't seem to list them, but I haven't asked either.

The TA had a problem on some R1200GS (mine included), but I'm wondering if anyone has reported similar with the TA2? Otherwise I'd be prepared to give a set of TA2 a crack...

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post

One thing I can't prove... I could swear the PR4 rear is slightly more curved. On the PR4T rear, I was off running off the edge and you could see the sidewall had been used a little. After a trip last weekend (with some very nice sections), the PR4 rear isn't showing any use on the sidewall, but I'm sure the front PR4T has smaller strips than it did previously....
    I've run mine right off the edge and the front is worn past the end of the rain grooves

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Has anyone run the Conti Trail Attack 2? Didn't have a happy experience with the first one, and hesitant to give the second one a go...

Thread Information