Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Michelin Pilot Road 4

Bike
    2013 Kawasaki ER6N-RR Ongoing project
    Be interested to see the reviews. At the moment the angle GT is definitely my favourite of the current sport touring tire segment. 8000k's going strong still not squaring off and grip wet or dry.

Prev tyres were Dunlop road smart 2's and Continental's road attack 2's

When the angels die I'm going to post a review of them and maybe in future I'll give these pr4's a jam to or stick with the angels depending on the first reviews.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 4
    Sent from one of those devices

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Review on the PR4. Ive been having some small issues with the PR3s at a track day and on the road at lean angles. I believe on the 3s the sipes were to close to the edges and the compound to soft at the edges on the rear. Looks like on the 4s this has been resolved.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGD6H...layer_embedded

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Interesting and annoying that the PR4 Trail rear is going to be similar to the PR3, using medium and soft, instead of hard and medium. Wonder why.

Last I checked, the 150/70/17 was available in both Trail and normal, so perhaps mixing and matching then... I want the hard centre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    bandit
    I prefer the melt in the mouth soft centres ..
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    Your mom
    Quote Originally Posted by vifferman View Post
    I'm not sure whether to go PR3 or PR4....
    Those run a 180 rear don't they? If you don't mind something a bit more sporty than what you've got at the moment, then Cycletreads has a 180/55 17 Pilot Power for $239. It's a steal for that price. I simply couldn't resist at that price.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOKEU View Post
    Those run a 180 rear don't they? If you don't mind something a bit more sporty than what you've got at the moment, then Cycletreads has a 180/55 17 Pilot Power for $239. It's a steal for that price. I simply couldn't resist at that price.
    US$130 in the, well, USA! Bastards.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Has anyone been given ETAs for the PR4 being available in NZ? I'm specifically after the Trail, but I imagine others will be interested in the road versions.

They're available in the USA now, but I don't need just yet, but if it's going to be a while, then I may as well order them in. Last time I did it, the PR3 was available here within a month of ordering in...

On that note actually, I was really impressed with the Anakee 3 being available as I asked (couple of sample sets randomly in a container with other stock) and it had only just been released... so quite impressed with the rate we've got tyres for the last couple of sets.
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Sold
    Alan,
    I spoke to someone called Michelle at Northern Accessories, the importers. They said that the best information they had will be sometime in March but had no further info. I tried to import from Jake Wilson in the USA and they said they were prohibited from sending to NZ. I decided to use the YouShop route to get round this but the weight/volume calculation applies to tyres and makes it uneconomic. Oh, and a pair will set you back the best part of $750 in NZ so the 20% extra life claim better be right!

Unfortunately, I can't wait as my rear PR3 is just about down to the legal minimum so it looks like it will be a straight replacement again. Not that I'm really complaining as we both know how good they are. Also, my first PR3 rear lasted for around 14000 km and this one has lasted 15500 km so it's fairly consistent. They've both had a fairly hard life too

P.s if you find an option to import, let me know!

Bike
    2 675R's & a Tracer GT

1050 gt

I'll be interested to find out if my Sprint GT would be best on the normal PR4 or the GT model?
    I've been looking at the big splurge about them in the Road Guide booklet. It recomends things like the BMW1600 and others for the GT, but puts the VFR1200 in with the 'normal' model. I'd have thought the VFR and the Sprint were 'heavy' bikes. Must do some digging.
    Do us all a favour, by bringing yourself up to speed, before pulling onto the motorway.

Bike
    Sold
    You're probably right on the crossover. If you spend a fair bit of time well loaded with a pillion or luggage, then maybe the GT, otherwise the normal ones would almost certainly be fine. A friend uses the PR3 with the "B" spec rear and gets around 9000 km with his ST 1300 but I think the PR4 would be a better option when it's available. Another mate had PR3's on his Triumph Sprint and they were great. Now has them on his BMW K1200.

Bear in mind that the PR4 models all use different compounds from each other too. The normal road PR4 now has a hard compound centre and medium compound on the sides. The PR3 has a medium centre and soft sides. If you log onto the Revzilla site and look up PR4's, there's an informative video on them.

Bike
    ---2000 Triumph SprintT
    Quote Originally Posted by manxkiwi View Post
    I'll be interested to find out if my Sprint GT would be best on the normal PR4 or the GT model?
    I've been looking at the big splurge about them in the Road Guide booklet. It recomends things like the BMW1600 and others for the GT, but puts the VFR1200 in with the 'normal' model. I'd have thought the VFR and the Sprint were 'heavy' bikes. Must do some digging.
    More about your applied use of the bike than the bike model itself. i.e. if u are a canyon chaser - go for sport tyres; if a commuter with a once a year trip to Taupo - get a sport/tour (PR3) - if you go to the Burt Munro from Russell each year and do umpteem highway miles on the motorway with a pillion - get a GT.
    I have a Sprint GT and had an ST955 before that - I use PR/PR2/PR3 - any of these... The GT tyre is of benefit for riders who lean less and point the bike down the freeway loaded up with gear. I do that 1-2 times a year. I did get a really good techo briefing last year from the Bridgestone rep on their range - which has a GT tyre also (BT-23GT). This sort of tyre construction is harder - better to last - not so much fun into warm tar tight corners I think...so I expect the Michelin PR3 version to behave similarly. IMHO.
    Regards
    Mark

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    I spoke to someone called Michelle at Northern Accessories, the importers. They said that the best information they had will be sometime in March but had no further info. I tried to import from Jake Wilson in the USA and they said they were prohibited from sending to NZ. I decided to use the YouShop route to get round this but the weight/volume calculation applies to tyres and makes it uneconomic. Oh, and a pair will set you back the best part of $750 in NZ so the 20% extra life claim better be right!
    Bah, after you said Jake Wilson didn't any more (and that was how I did it) then I thought of YouShop, but seems that's out too. March would be fine for me, but if they're going to be that expensive, I'm getting the 3 Trail instead. Overseas, there is a marginal price difference between 3 and 4.
    Quote Originally Posted by manxkiwi View Post
    manx, depends on your use I think. Always one up, the normal might be suitable, but lots of luggage or 2up, I'd probably go for the GT. As blackbird says, the compounds and spread have changed on 4s, with more hard in the centre of GT, yet the Trail continues to use soft and medium...

Bike
    2 675R's & a Tracer GT
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    manx, depends on your use I think. Always one up, the normal might be suitable, but lots of luggage or 2up, I'd probably go for the GT. As blackbird says, the compounds and spread have changed on 4s, with more hard in the centre of GT, yet the Trail continues to use soft and medium...
    Yeah sounds fair enough. Bought the bike specifically for two up work, East Cape, Welly etc. South Island, maybe next summer. So the GT sounds good for that. But I don't mind seeking out the twisties and 'leaning' a bit! I wouldn't call it sport riding though, got the 675 for that. Just got a set of Angel GTs to go on, I'll see how they go. The OEM Bridgies were sh*t! Front gone at 5k, squeezed 7k out of the rear. Even allowing for average or below OEM suspension they were the most shagged tyres I've ever seen. They were BT021Rs.
    Do us all a favour, by bringing yourself up to speed, before pulling onto the motorway.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries

Bike
    Sold
    Couldn't hang on Alan . Bought another PR3 rear in mid-March, not that I'm complaining. Will swap the front for a PR4 when it's due. Used to change both tyres together but after changing to PR3's on the Triple (14,200 and 16,600 km for both rears respectively and over 17,000 from the first front), the current front has got a long way to go.

Thread Information