Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Michelin Pilot Road 4

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    BIKE magazine commented that there was a question about the longevity of the PR3s. The latest review of the PR4 that I have seen states that the update is aimed to increase the mileage. Not that Blackbird seems to be suffering.

I hope my next new tyres are some way off yet, but the PR4 (or 5?) is currently first choice.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    BIKE magazine commented that there was a question about the longevity of the PR3s. The latest review of the PR4 that I have seen states that the update is aimed to increase the mileage. Not that Blackbird seems to be suffering.
    Hi Ron,
    Well, the Street Triple is one of the lighter bikes around but 14000 - 17000 km from PR3 rears was pretty acceptable and the bike gets used as intended . I haven't seen the article but maybe sidewall flex affected heavier bikes or those with more HP. Having said that, the IAM Chief Examiner had PR3's (B spec rear) on his ST1300 and got around 9000 km from them. The PR4 GT's look a good prospect for heavier/gruntier bikes.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    While Michelin claimed the PR3 was good for +20% life (or something) over the PR2, I don't think that was really the case. It was more like about equal, but the PR3 wet weather grip was brilliant.

If you look at the changes in the PR4, yep, there is less use of the sipes, interesting changes in the centre of the tread etc, so ideally, more life from the PR4. However, the PR4 Trail wasn't changed much over the PR3 Trail... bastards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post

I hope my next new tyres are some way off yet, but the PR4 (or 5?) is currently first choice.
    The PR3s on the XB12 are 6k old, and the sides are 70% gone. Quite heavy scalloping, which I didn't get with PR2s on previous Buells. The book says the likely cause is heavy handed compression damping, but that's not the case.

They do squirm around a bit, but it doesn't seem to affect feedback and I don't mind it although they do feel quite different to the PR2s. Given me druthers I'd probably go PR2 to replace it if there was a bit of a tour on the horizon, one of the PPowers if not.

So I'm keen to get some feedback on the PP4s before I have to stump up for a new rear in a couple of months...
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocean1 View Post
    The PR3s on the XB12 are 6k old, and the sides are 70% gone. Quite heavy scalloping, which I didn't get with PR2s on previous Buells. The book says the likely cause is heavy handed compression damping, but that's not the case.

They do squirm around a bit, but it doesn't seem to affect feedback and I don't mind it although they do feel quite different to the PR2s. Given me druthers I'd probably go PR2 to replace it if there was a bit of a tour on the horizon, one of the PPowers if not.

So I'm keen to get some feedback on the PP4s before I have to stump up for a new rear in a couple of months...
    I had the PR3s on the Hornet and they did give an unsure feel on a hot day on on the track. I found on the track they moved about quite a bit on turn 6 at Hampton. For commuting they are stunning, I never had a slip from them. But yeah on the edges I didnt like them, front was fine for me.

On my VTR I have original Pilots which dont move at all, the just grip or let go. In the wet they let go quite a bit.

Not sure what I will go for next. PR4s are very interesting. Would like to know what they are like on the edges.

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    I had the PR3s on the Hornet and they did give an unsure feel on a hot day on on the track. I found on the track they moved about quite a bit on turn 6 at Hampton. For commuting they are stunning, I never had a slip from them. But yeah on the edges I didnt like them, front was fine for me.

On my VTR I have original Pilots which dont move at all, the just grip or let go. In the wet they let go quite a bit.

Not sure what I will go for next. PR4s are very interesting. Would like to know what they are like on the edges.
    Was it you that posted pics of significant scalloping on a PR3 rear? The pic I'm thinking of showed the leading edge scalloped, as if worn under acceleration? Mine is the opposite, the trailing edge worn, as if worn under brakes.

And to be honest such wear wouldn't have surprised me because of the Buells heavy engine braking and my dirty riding habits, but as I said it didn't happen with the PR2s or PPs on earlier Buells.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocean1 View Post
    Was it you that posted pics of significant scalloping on a PR3 rear? The pic I'm thinking of showed the leading edge scalloped, as if worn under acceleration? Mine is the opposite, the trailing edge worn, as if worn under brakes.

And to be honest such wear wouldn't have surprised me because of the Buells heavy engine braking and my dirty riding habits, but as I said it didn't happen with the PR2s or PPs on earlier Buells.
    Wasnt me but yes mine had that. Leading edge from memory. Also front was getting some scalloping but it never had a bad feel. Rear was nasty on the edges. The Pilot Roads i have on the VTR are not showing any scalloping.

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    The Pilot Roads i have on the VTR are not showing any scalloping.
    Good tyres, I've trashed two and a half pair over the last few years, not quite as sticky as the dual compound items, certainly not in the wet, but they always seemed predictable even when drifting a tad, and you can't really ask for more than that.

Bike
    A
    Ok, 500 odd clicks into a set of Pilot Road 4s on my Busa

It's odd to ride on a sport/touring tyre that feels so sporty is one of the things that comes to mind. The improvement over the PR3s is incremental to my mind, the main change being a less "squirmy" feel when cranking in and out of corners. I also can't recall the PR3s being as easy to tip into a corner on, but hey the PR3s were on a different bike, so could be perception.

Now I'll accept that not everyone will like riding on a 'mere' sport/touring tyre, but for my use I can't fault it. If anyone needs more from a tyre it should perhaps also involve a racetrack

The only downside for some might be the upfront cost of buying a set but hey it's only a set of tyres

Bike
    CB1300
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Sticking (hahahaha) with my T30's so far.

Does not seem that long ago the PR3 was out!
    Currently trying to decide between t30 and pr4.

I can find lots of reviews that rave about traction in the dry. Conspicuous vacuum of people mentioning grip in the wet.

Any opinion on the t30?
    What sort I mileage did you get from the t30?

Stupid phone / Tapatalk, apologies in advance.

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog View Post
    Currently trying to decide between t30 and pr4.

I can find lots of reviews that rave about traction in the dry. Conspicuous vacuum of people mentioning grip in the wet.

Any opinion on the t30?
    What sort I mileage did you get from the t30?

Stupid phone / Tapatalk, apologies in advance.
    My 5 cents...

Traction of PR4 in the wet is an incremental improvement over PR3. Haven't used T30, only S20 and they were grippy enough in the wet for my liking, but in all fairness the PR4 feels more settled in the wet.

Thread Information