Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Michelin Pilot Road 4

Bike
    2010 Honda CB1000R Predator
    Blog Entries

Michelin Pilot Road 4

Just when I thought it couldn't any better, I was cruising the Michelin web site last night, and they had a press release about the PR4's. Due out next year. More grip, longer life, yada yada.

http://www.michelin.com/corporate/EN...IN-PilotRoad-4

Depending on price, I'm also tempted by the Michelin Pilot Power 3. I'm thinking I 'm choose grip over life this time.

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by p.dath View Post
    Just when I thought it couldn't any better, I was cruising the Michelin web site last night, and they had a press release about the PR4's. Due out next year. More grip, longer life, yada yada.

http://www.michelin.com/corporate/EN...IN-PilotRoad-4

Depending on price, I'm also tempted by the Michelin Pilot Power 3. I'm thinking I 'm choose grip over life this time.
    Interesting Philip! The PR3's are the best all-round tyres I've ever had and certainly exceed my meagre abilities. As I have to ride in all weathers, I'll certainly be very interested in the 4's to replace the 3's, as opposed to pure sports tyres.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    The range of performance is certainly impressive. Mates have had the Road 2 and 3 on track, no problem. One mate didn't like the flex in the carcass of the Road 3, but was 2up and didn't use the tyres rated for heavier use. Michelin also seems to have the bases covered, with Normal, Trail and GT grade tyres... really cool stuff.

I'm still using Road 2 on the CB919, but I've got a slightly used set of Road 3 (from above) for next work. GSA has used a set of Road 3, perhaps the tyres will be cheaper with a Road 4 out... Then again, I'm enjoying the Michelin Anakee 3 on the GSA currently...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    It will be interesting to see what the GT version is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    It will be interesting to see what the GT version is.
    Likely to look the same, but rated and suited for the heavier touring bikes.
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Sticking (hahahaha) with my T30's so far.

Does not seem that long ago the PR3 was out!

Bike
    86.249 93.398 00.944
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    It wasn't.

I've got a PR3 on the back of the ST2, PR2 up front. Not sure if it's the bike, the rider, the tyre or a combination of all of the above but I get strange wear on the sides where the tread blocks are ramped to hell, same with the previous michelin rear.

Seem to work OK on the road, but thinking I might try something else next time.
    Riding cheap crappy old bikes badly since 1987

Tagorama maps: Transalpers map first 100 tags..................Map of tags 101-200......................Latest map, tag # 201-->

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by neels View Post
    It wasn't.

I've got a PR3 on the back of the ST2, PR2 up front. Not sure if it's the bike, the rider, the tyre or a combination of all of the above but I get strange wear on the sides where the tread blocks are ramped to hell, same with the previous michelin rear.

Seem to work OK on the road, but thinking I might try something else next time.
    Likely to be affected by different profiles and construction characteristics between the two. I'm on my second set of PR3's and leave my old Avon storms (and original Dunlop Qualifiers) for dead in terms of overall performance.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Early 2011 I think (if not late 2010). Trail version came out Sep/Oct ish, I remember as I was chasing them.

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Sticking (hahahaha) with my T30's so far.

I on sold the my near new T30's, I had 5-6 slips (one both front and rear at the same time) in cold wet conditions. Went back to tried and proven PR3's but put a 3B on the rear.

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by Maha View Post
    I on sold the my near new T30's, I had 5-6 slips (one both front and rear at the same time) in cold wet conditions. Went back to tried and proven PR3's but put a 3B on the rear.
    Yep, have had 2 sets of 3B's on the Street Triple even though it's light. You can always vary the tyre pressure a wee bit. At the other end of the weight scale, the IAM Chief Examiner has a 3B on his ST1300 and it lasted for over 9000 k's without going out of shape which says something!

My Dunlop Qualifiers tended to slip and slide a bit in damp conditions because I couldn't get the heat into them to make them work properly. I ride in all weathers so was looking for something with good grip over a wider range of conditions than a pure sport tyre.

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    Yep, have had 2 sets of 3B's on the Street Triple even though it's light. You can always vary the tyre pressure a wee bit. At the other end of the weight scale, the IAM Chief Examiner has a 3B on his ST1300 and it lasted for over 9000 k's without going out of shape which says something!

My Dunlop Qualifiers tended to slip and slide a bit in damp conditions because I couldn't get the heat into them to make them work properly. I ride in all weathers so was looking for something with good grip over a wider range of conditions than a pure sport tyre.
    I have had PR3's an 2's on my CB1300, and would load that thing up with a double pack/tank bag and pillion, ride through the desert road in winter, ride in any conditions really without a worry. Torrential rain/side winds, you need faith in what is keeping you upright.

Bike
    2001 RC46
    Blog Entries
    I've got a PR2 on the rear, and a PP on the front. Front doesn't last long, but the turn-in is great. Rear's due to be replaced... next week, maybe? (Big work afoot - new tyre, new swingarm bushes, new rear disc.) I'm not sure whether to go PR3 or PR4....
    ... and that's what I think.

Or summat.

Or maybe not...

Dunno really....

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by vifferman View Post
    I've got a PR2 on the rear, and a PP on the front. Front doesn't last long, but the turn-in is great.
    Used to be my favourite combination for the XB12R, works well and the life is similar.

Quote Originally Posted by vifferman View Post
    Rear's due to be replaced... next week, maybe? (Big work afoot - new tyre, new swingarm bushes, new rear disc.) I'm not sure whether to go PR3 or PR4....
    I've just put 3500km on new PR3s on the Uly this week. Definitely touring shaped, (very round) and the rear seems to be wearing a little strangely but they feel fine. In fact they felt superb after the OE Pirellis that were fitted. They don't have the tactile stickiness the PR2 had, but they hold on well and the odd wee squirm was very... unflappable.

No idea about the PR4s, go get some and let us know eh?
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    A
    Mr Michelin is just playing catch-up. On my 750 the PR2s worked fine, PPs were a treat but overkill. Couple of sets of PR3s...great grip but maybe 2/3 the life of the PR2s. Only thing slightly unnerving about the PR3s is the way they wear towards the end of their life, made me think if the edges show extreme feathering on my old 750 then I wouldn't wanna try em on my new Busa...

But heck, once the PR4 comes out, best to just try a set I suppose?

The only benefit of owning a hyperbike is that you get to try a few sets of tyres in short succession I suppose? Now on Bridgestone S20s and liking them.

Thread Information