Thread: Chain problem with my XJ

Bike
    1988 Yamaha XJ600

Chain problem with my XJ

Righto so I went on a trip to cape reinga this weekend just gone and on the way back got to greenlane and noticed my chain was very slack so as soon as I got home I tightened it now for some reason as soon as I try to take off it makes quite a loud clicking/knocking noise that comes from the rear wheel/sprocket/chain I don't really know what to do about it... any ideas on what it might be and how I can fix it

Bike
    Custom Ag100
    Quote Originally Posted by xjrider View Post
    Righto so I went on a trip to cape reinga this weekend just gone and on the way back got to greenlane and noticed my chain was very slack so as soon as I got home I tightened it now for some reason as soon as I try to take off it makes quite a loud clicking/knocking noise that comes from the rear wheel/sprocket/chain I don't really know what to do about it... any ideas on what it might be and how I can fix it
    Wheel bearings possibly.
    "Sorry Officer, umm.... my yellow power band got stuck wide open"

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Clicking/clunking is often symptomatic of a tight chain. when you tightened it did you leave the recommended slack in it? and did you check for tight spots?
    The noise could also be coming from a knacked cush drive (if equipped), check for movement between the rear sprocket and rear wheel.
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    1988 Yamaha XJ600
    Is that a major fix? Price and time wise

Bike
    1988 Yamaha XJ600
    The chain is sweet as all up to specs and the bike is an 88 xj600 so no fancy stuff on it lol

Bike
    Its a Boat
    I had a tight spot on my Triumph Sprint a few years ago, when I got home after a big day out, the chain was almost resting on the centre stand, new chain/sprocket time $346.

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    The chain is sweet as all up to specs and the bike is an 88 xj600 so no fancy stuff on it lol
    Cush drives aren't that fancy, and a quick google suggests your bike has one

http://www.mandp.co.uk/productinfo.a...er3url=Economy

also did you check for tight spots? being up to spec in one spot is not good enough when tightening an old chain.

As mentioned above, could be wheel bearings, but timing coincident with a chain tighten suggest it's chain related...
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    The chain is sweet as all up to specs . . .
    yeah, . . .nah as they say.

First off block the bike up on a stand & try wiggle the sprocket. Then try wiggle the wheel from a few angles. Then check the front sprocket is on tight (remove cover).

But hte most likely reason is the chain & sprockets are poked. Spin the wheel slowly by hand in reverse direction so you are less likely to get your fingers caught as that is a real possibility & generally regarded as a very bad thing. Poke the bottom of the chain run & after a few rotations of the chain you should get a gauge of any variations of loose to tight. Report back. This is more important than any other measurement you might do.

Also while you are there have an honest look at the sprockets & if they look slightly hooked. Both sides should look the same but the drive side wears & you should note that.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    2007 ktm 300exc
    Sounds like a striped front sprocket , it's lost the teeth and jumping around . Time to spend some money on new chain and sprockets .

Bike
    Yamaha MT09 Tracer
    a hooked rear sprocket gives those symptoms when chain is tightend, as does the floged chain with tight spots etc...i had one that wore my rear sprocket into a real weird long pitch circular saw blade lookin thing! so if it aint cush drive, cushdrive bearing, or wheel bearing then do your chain and sprockets regardless i reckon. btw that model xj600 are bloody legendary! brings to mind the kiwirider magazine xj600 project of the mid '90's...that bike did every sealed road, gravel road and bike rally in the country just about...ask jacqui madelin
    'the stickiest situation since sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun'

Cpt Edmund Blackadder

Bike
    1988 Yamaha XJ600
    Oh yeah iv taken it to Hamilton Honda and am getting new chain sprockets rear brakes and wheel bearings.

Sidenote*
    Haha cheers mate im planning on giving it a repaint to original paintjob except ill make it candy apple red

Bike
    Custom Ag100
    Oh yeah iv taken it to Hamilton Honda and am getting new chain sprockets rear brakes and wheel bearings.
    Well I guess we were all right, that must be a first on KB!
    "Sorry Officer, umm.... my yellow power band got stuck wide open"

Thread Information