Thread: SMIDSY is a threat to all two-wheeled traffic

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries

SMIDSY is a threat to all two-wheeled traffic

Don't be put of by the word "cyclist". The author is a fighter pilot and accident investigator who is knowledgable about that of which he writes. The article is informative and just a bit scary.

http://www.londoncyclist.co.uk/raf-p...each-cyclists/
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Just to clarify, saccades are not wholly decided on by the viewer, in fact when viewing a single object or scene they eye makes many involuntary saccades per second to build a up a complete picture. By intensely focusing on one thing as per the number plate example you can over-ride this though. The saccade mechanic does not prevent a person from seeing an object at mid distance when they transfer focus from a close to far position; unless they become too focused on each. As he said at the begining, the human brain/eye is designed to pick up sabertooths and the like, now a sabertooth sized motorcycle heading towards you at sabertooth like speeds, is not beyond our capabilities to detect.
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Aye. Someone posted that link a year or so ago, but I doubt the topic could be over-stressed.

I particularly like:

If you are not convinced, try this test.
    1.Look in a mirror.
    2.Look repeatedly from your right eye to your left eye.
    3.Can you see your eyes moving? You can’t.
    4.Repeat the test with a friend and watch them. You will see their eyes moving quite markedly.

You can’t see your own eyes move because your brain shuts down the image for the instant that your eyes are moving. This is called Saccadic masking.
    Because it caused my daughter to give me $10.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    Blade '12
    Wish I'd read this about six weeks ago I'd have been a lot less confident in my prediction that "he'll see me, brake to a stop and then I'll ride around the end of him".

Bike
    06 Transalp
    Blog Entries
    This will work many times, but not every time. So covering your stoppers and easing off throttle wont hurt and will speed up your reactions.

Motorbike only search
    YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - CRC AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE CRC. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE

Bike
    500EXC
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by XP@ View Post
    This will work many times, but not every time. So covering your stoppers and easing off throttle wont hurt and will speed up your reactions.

[video
    Had my first a few days ago. Managed to slip round the car.

What caught my eye in ths clip was how dull the 'high viz' vest was behind the motorcycle screen, it also really broke up the outline of the rider too.
    Sticking to the back roads

Bike
    500EXC
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocean1 View Post
    Because it caused my daughter to give me $10.
    Easy money aye, feel in my bones some coming my way
    Sticking to the back roads

Bike
    06 Transalp
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oneblackflag View Post
    Had my first a few days ago. Managed to slip round the car.

What caught my eye in ths clip was how dull the 'high viz' vest was behind the motorcycle screen, it also really broke up the outline of the rider too.
    Next time you have a friend saying High-Vis saves lives ask to borrow their jacket, remove the hi vis and put them both on the grass. Then ask which is the most visible?

I'm not saying don't wear high-viz but we should never rely on them (or any other safety aid) to make us visible to other road users. If possible avoid camouflage as it probably doesn't help your chances.
    Motorbike only search
    YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - CRC AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE CRC. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE

Bike
    Ducati 944
    "Additionally, if you didn’t expect there to be a cyclist your brain is more likely to automatically jump to the conclusion that the road is empty."

Hi-Viz or no Hi-Viz this is probably the most relevant part in real world accidents. Had a chat with a colleague this morning re: the cyclist killed in Christchurch where the judge said cyclists should wear hi-viz. Colleague said it IS easier to see h-viz cycling, but I asked whether this was true at turnings, roundabouts and junctions - exactly where this accident happened for example, and where most bikes of any sort get hit. And the answer was probably not - as this is where people are scanning for what they anticipate - cars - and that article goes some way to explaining why bikes and motorbikes are missed.

As a motorbike rider and cyclist there's another factor that is mainly worse for cyclists due to the cognitive processing functions of drivers - and its this: a car driver pulling out sees a cyclist. His brain assumes it will be slow, so pulls out. Wrong - if its me on the flat I'll be doing around 40ks. On the approach to the lower Nihotupu dam it could be 80k. A case again of making a point to see clearly rather than act on quick impulse. I either commute on the GSXF or cycle - on Dominion rd I have to always expect cars WILL pull out inappropriately, and sadly I am seldom disappointed.
    Motorcycle songlist:
    Best blast soundtrack:Born to be wild (Steppenwolf)
    Best sunny ride: Runnin' down a dream (Tom Petty)
    Don't want to hear ...: Slip, slidin' away, Caught by the Fuzz or Bam Thwok!(Paul Simon/Supergrass/The Pixies)

Thread Information