Page 101 of 337 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111151201 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,515 of 5043

Thread: The Bucket Foundry

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Does anyone know if Sodium Silicate sand is safe to mix without using gloves?

The guys in the video as far as I remember were using their bare hands (hands that looked like they had seen a few battles I must say) but then a lot of people go through life.

Where in Auckland can you buy a sand riddle - I'm using my wife's kitchen sieve at the moment (when she's not looking!).

Bike
    whatever I can get running - dirt/track/
    A sand riddle can be nothing more complicated than some coarse window screen and a frame made from some scrap bits of lumber, and that's what I've been using. I've seen people using a kitchen wire screen basket sieve, or the flour sifters that you crank to make the flour go through a screen.

All it has to do is work.

Here's an MSDS (material safety data sheet) for the sodium silicate.

http://www.boremco.com/SDS/Sodium-Silicate-N.pdf

What seems a good plan for small amounts of SS sand is to put all the dry ingredients in a big Ziploc bag, distribute the liquid on them, then close the bag (squeeze the air out before sealing) and then work the materials from the outside of the bag. That means no spills, no dust/fumes, no muss.

I keep boxes of disposable nitrile gloves scattered around in the hopes that I'll use them anytime I'm working with something more toxic than soap and water. Of course, in the old days we thought nothing of immersing our hands for extended periods in solvent tanks, petroil, oil, what have you. These days we know better, we just have to avoid falling back into bad old habits.

cheers,
    Michael

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Moore View Post
    A sand riddle can be nothing more complicated than some coarse window screen and a frame made from some scrap bits of lumber, and that's what I've been using. I've seen people using a kitchen wire screen basket sieve, or the flour sifters that you crank to make the flour go through a screen.

All it has to do is work.

Here's an MSDS (material safety data sheet) for the sodium silicate.

http://www.boremco.com/SDS/Sodium-Silicate-N.pdf

I keep boxes of disposable nitrile gloves scattered around in the hopes that I'll use them anytime I'm working with something more toxic than soap and water. Of course, in the old days we thought nothing of immersing our hands for extended periods in solvent tanks, petroil, oil, what have you. These days we know better, we just have to avoid falling back into bad old habits.

cheers,
    Michael
    The gloves do have some rather huge advantages Michael
    They save having to wash your hands so much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    The gloves do have some rather huge advantages Michael
    They save having to wash your hands so much.
    Only trouble is, will we use them at the appropriate time or in the heat of the moment when we forget? - but that's human nature I guess.
    I get the feeling that Sodium silicate sand won't do a lot of harm if I do forget and if it stings real bad then I'll know!
    (Unlike muriatic? acid used for cleaning stainless steel, which will penetrate the flesh and attack the bones without you feeling very much at all!) - very dangerous stuff!

Bike
    STRIKE trike & KTM300 EXC TPI
    Our experience with sodium silicate is that it is pretty kind on hands. We never used gloves and I have seen a few foundries that don't bother. However, we only indirectly contacted the stuff in practice. As to mixing, we just used a cheap arse $15 mixer (kitchen style vertical thing with blades in the bottom) to do the small mixes we were doing. For these, we used a syringe to dispense the SS into the pre measured volume of sand when the mixer was going

As MM says, I also saw somewhere they were using the plastic bag trick, which also seemed to be neat for a few small batches.

The real nasty stuff is hydrofluoric acid (sometime found in stainless steel pickling paste). Over here it can only be purchased with a special application. The acid gives you a protracted & painful death.
    "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.”

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by WilDun View Post
    Only trouble is, will we use them at the appropriate time or in the heat of the moment when we forget? - but that's human nature I guess.
    I get the feeling that Sodium silicate sand won't do a lot of harm if I do forget and if it stings real bad then I'll know!
    (Unlike muriatic? acid used for cleaning stainless steel, which will penetrate the flesh and attack the bones without you feeling very much at all!) - very dangerous stuff!
    Funny enough Will They used to use Sodium Silicate to preserve eggs (true story)
    Its waterGlass

Sodium silicate was also used as an egg preservation agent through the early 20th century with large success. When fresh eggs are immersed in it, bacteria which cause the eggs to spoil are kept out and water is kept in. Eggs can be kept fresh using this method for up to five months. When boiling eggs preserved this way, it is well advised to pin-prick the egg to allow steam to escape because the shell is no longer porous
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_silicate
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by ken seeber View Post
    Our experience with sodium silicate is that it is pretty kind on hands. We never used gloves
    As MM says, I also saw somewhere they were using the plastic bag trick,
    The real nasty stuff is hydrofluoric acid (sometime found in stainless steel pickling paste).
    So it looks like it's reasonably safe using sodium silicate.

And yes, hydroflouric acid is the one I mean.
    There was a new guy at work who went to the sink where we cleaned up the S/S in the workshop and he thought that the clear gel was hand cleaner and he happened to mention to me that our hand cleaner seemed a bit rough and not much good!! - luckily he washed it off quickly - makes you want to cringe!

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Sleeve engine running. I guess this would have to be the first open ended sleeve twostoke running since Riccardo? Maybe.
    Now to fit exhausts and gearbox to make it usable, to put REAL thermal load on it.

https://youtu.be/bwsu5td6nko

https://youtu.be/9tHnBHh3VnM

Bike
    GPR150
    good stuff sounds pretty damn good !

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Flettner View Post
    Sleeve engine running. I guess this would have to be the first open ended sleeve twostoke running since Riccardo? Maybe.
    Now to fit exhausts and gearbox to make it usable, to put REAL thermal load on it.

https://youtu.be/bwsu5td6nko

https://youtu.be/9tHnBHh3VnM
    Epic is it warping time (re the video's autofocus)
    Sounds bloody quiet as well. Epic
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    RG50 and 76 Suzuki GP125 Buckets
    Good work, very impressive.

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    Epic is it warping time (re the video's autofocus)
    Sounds bloody quiet as well. Epic
    No, it's quite loud. Phone didn't seem to pick up the sound very well.

Yes autofocus didn't like the exhaust pulse or something

Interesting to see right through the engine as it runs, anyway it goes on it's own steam

Didn't vibrate as bad as I thought it might but I'm sure it will with a few more revs on.

Bike
    2015 Avanti
    It is not very often that you get to see the density of exhaust gasses. Great video.
    Thanks Neil for posting a video. Can't wait to see it in person.
    Neil

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Flettner View Post
    No, it's quite loud. Phone didn't seem to pick up the sound very well.

Yes autofocus didn't like the exhaust pulse or something

Interesting to see right through the engine as it runs, anyway it goes on it's own steam

Didn't vibrate as bad as I thought it might but I'm sure it will with a few more revs on.
    Its got a Mallory weighted crank and a balance shaft though hasn't it?
    the sleeve should be no worse than all that extra stuff foul strokes have
    What factor did you do it as 50%
    where was the oil going I never seen it in the last two videos but there was plenty flying around in the Compressor run video?
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Cool stuff.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Thread Information