Page 12 of 337 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast

Thread: The Bucket Foundry

Bike
    Exercycle
    Is that rubber or urethane ? If urethane it'll be too stiff to damp out any torsional movement.

IMO changing the layout for a setup with bonded rubber between inner and outer rings may be better...maybe.
    It can be made failsafe with grubscrew limit stops.

BTW....Mr Kawasaki would be proud of that setup, I've seen it several times when fixing collapsed Kawasaki clutch cush drives....

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    I'll bet you have never seen somthing like this before.

Must have built this at least twenty years ago to drill inner tubes for twostroke mufflers. Can do four different sizes, 1 1/4" ,1 1/8", 1", 7/8" OD
    Made from free stuff I found in bins etc. This unit has been in the storage shed for ( must be twenty years? ) and the birds have been using it for a toilet! I found it, doug it out, cleaned the worst bird poo off and pluged it in. It still goes! ( it's probably closer to thirty years old )

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Flettner View Post
    What a weird and wonderful machine, wiper motors and everything else incoporated in it, you can't chuck that out! no doubt you'll adapt it to do some other job.
    Still haven't come across the article on vibration I was looking for, mainly because I keep going to sleep! - so maybe I was dreaming.

Will.

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    No no, I won't be disposing of it, I've got new mufflers to build for the gyro. Also went looking for all my old press tools for the outer muffler parts ( and found them ). I was going to just buy some after market units but was a little disappointed at the price so thought bugger it I'll just make some.

Bike
    Exercycle
    What is it with aircraft nutters and exhaust systems....there was a guy killed down here recently in a towplane accident who used to make silencer cores. He made up a weird and wonderful device which plunge stamped V shaped perforations in tube - without actually removing material. Watching it in action was was slightly frightening....and about as noisy as a Lewis gun in full flight.

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    I've never used one of these on an aircraft before, this was made when you could not buy small perforated tube and I got sick of drilling it in the drill press for hours. This machine produced many bucket and other motorcycle mufflers, RD / RZ etc in it's time. My storage shed is an old cowshed, where all of the birds in the Waikato live, a bit of a mess!

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI

Finaly ready, petrol, water and start!
    Will be tied to a post for a quite a few hours of test running.

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    Nice. Of course the most obvious thing everyone will notice and comment on is the piece of class radiator.

Bike
    Husky TE310, 2 Buckets and a ZXR250C
    My uncle is the owner of sanpro industries, he makes these machines to make perforated pipe for automotive plants throughtout the world. Locally made in Wellington...
    Lucky for me i can just rock up and get test pieces .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfXZ...C2FFB4272687C9

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEuABAbyGg8

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Yes a little bit quicker than my machine ( lots ), but will that machine do 7/8" tube?
    It's good to see this sort of stuff still happening in NZ.
    The classy radiator fan, good to use stuff found in the rubbish bin ( Honda! ), this fan is only used for ground testing.

Bike
    Husky TE310, 2 Buckets and a ZXR250C
    Yes a little bit quicker than my machine ( lots ), but will that machine do 7/8" tube?
    It's good to see this sort of stuff still happening in NZ.
    The classy radiator fan, good to use stuff found in the rubbish bin ( Honda! ), this fan is only used for ground testing.
    I'm sure it does, tool changes are done in under 10 mins (remember its made to do 1000's of tubes in a row).

Bike
    STRIKE trike & KTM300 EXC TPI
    Just saw Flettner’s wonderful drilling machine. Think I have worked it out:

A washing machine motor driving an A section belt. This in turn drives the drilling spindle, which in fact is an upper fork leg, spinning inside a shortened lower fork leg. As well as spinning, this is advanced and retracted by an axial bearing inside a carrier that is joined to a vertical plate which has a vertical slot in it that allows the movement of an mounted bearing that is eccentrically mounted on a shaft on one side of a bearing block, the shaft being driven via chain by a wormed drive gear reduction motor. Also on the shaft is a crankpin that is connected to a small connecting rod that in turn drives a, arm connected to a sleeve that fits over the tube. This sleeve presumably has a ratchet/sprag bearing that rotationally indexes the tube in hole spacing steps. Cleverly though, it looks like the fixed quadrant ring is mounted on a slight angle such that when the tube is rotationally indexed, it also is forced axially by a small amount, presumably the bearing in the sleeve can tolerate this dual movement. As a result the holes are drilled in a helix style pattern. It also looks like there is some tube locking mechanism that is actuated by the carrier on the drilling spindle.

Congratulations. It’s great.

Looking forward to the next gizmo.

Ken

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by ken seeber View Post
    Just saw Flettner’s wonderful drilling machine.
    A washing machine motor driving an A section belt. This in turn drives holes are drilled in a helix style pattern. ......................etc..etc.................... ................. It also looks like there is some tube locking mechanism that is actuated by the carrier on the drilling spindle. etc.
    Ken
    And those damn Waikato birds had the audacity to shit on it!!!

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Quote Originally Posted by ken seeber View Post
    Just saw Flettner’s wonderful drilling machine. Think I have worked it out:

A washing machine motor driving an A section belt. This in turn drives the drilling spindle, which in fact is an upper fork leg, spinning inside a shortened lower fork leg. As well as spinning, this is advanced and retracted by an axial bearing inside a carrier that is joined to a vertical plate which has a vertical slot in it that allows the movement of an mounted bearing that is eccentrically mounted on a shaft on one side of a bearing block, the shaft being driven via chain by a wormed drive gear reduction motor. Also on the shaft is a crankpin that is connected to a small connecting rod that in turn drives a, arm connected to a sleeve that fits over the tube. This sleeve presumably has a ratchet/sprag bearing that rotationally indexes the tube in hole spacing steps. Cleverly though, it looks like the fixed quadrant ring is mounted on a slight angle such that when the tube is rotationally indexed, it also is forced axially by a small amount, presumably the bearing in the sleeve can tolerate this dual movement. As a result the holes are drilled in a helix style pattern. It also looks like there is some tube locking mechanism that is actuated by the carrier on the drilling spindle.

Looking forward to the next gizmo.

Ken
    Right on the money! It looks like a "crap" thing, but it does the job.

Bike
    husaberg
    Remembering the adage there is no such thing as a stupid question...........
    with a horozonally split crankcase (like a yamaha rz250 rd250 etc)without a cnc how do you machine a crankcase cavity accurately and easily i guess Honda and Yamaha with their pressure diecast would not need to.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	horozontally these bits.JPG 
Views:	74 
Size:	282.0 KB 
ID:	295833  
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Thread Information