Page 137 of 337 FirstFirst ... 3787127135136137138139147187237 ... LastLast
Results 2,041 to 2,055 of 5043

Thread: The Bucket Foundry

Bike
    STRIKE trike & KTM300 EXC TPI
    Fletto, were you altering the fuel flow rate with the sprayer? It was obviously hunting quite a bit, although one couldn't exactly see if you fingers were moving.
    As to it shitting itself, as nothing came out the side, it can't be too bad.

Bike
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by ken seeber View Post
    As to it shitting itself, as nothing came out the side, it can't be too bad.
    Apparently it can take some abuse Ken. After all it's still a two-stroke, although Fletto has managed to make it look like an OHC foulstroke (Overhead Crankshaft, that is)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Neil Hintz HCCI 06.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	44.5 KB 
ID:	320382  

Bike
    bsa. honda. aprilia
    Quote Originally Posted by Frits Overmars View Post
    BDC dwell is not the problem, Will. You can design in as much dwell as you want, either at BDC or TDC.
    Attachment 318630
    I think the main disadvantages, not just for two-strokes but in general, are sliding instead or rolling big end pin movement, and / or high bearing contact pressures.

In comparison, I love Flettner's crank-in-a-crank-setup. It'll be interesting to see which gear ratio he managed to fit in and whether his big end pin velocity is a sinoid.
    Frits, just been reading some information regarding the Russell Bourke engine, which used the scotch yoke set up on the twin engine he designed. although it was a high hp fairly low rpm set up, the scotch yoke set up seemed to work, even with the machining quality of the day. RPM levels of 10,000 were quoted and even talk of 24,000 possible. Even a passage relating to the use of detonation and non spark combustion reminded me of another engine being currently developed.

Bike
    YLR150RR and a RD350LC
    Quote Originally Posted by breezy View Post
    RPM levels of 10,000 were quoted and even talk of 24,000 possible.
    Don't you start too !
    My neighbours diary says I have boundary issues

Bike
    bsa. honda. aprilia
    Quote Originally Posted by Yow Ling View Post
    Don't you start too !
    Even the patents are in the pulic domain now as they ran out

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    So, why does it hunt?

Bike
    Neil,
    If the fuelling rate was constant and it looked to be, and the hunting was a “speed” hunting not a “load” hunting, and the thing was effectively running at WOT, then the mixture must have changed, gone leaner, as the speed increased.
    So, maybe the trick would be to resurrect the thing into a running state and fit a carby. This would give you much greater control. Maybe try with additional fuelling, eg the spray gun, to trim the mixture. If this doesn’t work, then set the carb up leaner.
    As there appeared to be shitloads of fuel all over, it might be that there was just too much and some of this was accumulating in the crankcase and every now and then getting picked up and dumped into the cylinder, making it run either better or worse.
    It would also be good if you had some form of loading device, eg keep the belt on the starting motor (letting it act as an absorber, was it 3 phase?), or a small prop or fan (something off an autogyro?). This would enable you to reduce the number of running variables.
    Also, if there was some mechanical device to allow you to vary the phase relationship between the two cranks/pistons. Again, the testing of this would be much more
    One can’t deny though, it does run and certainly shows potential.
    Keep up the good pioneering work.

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Frits Overmars View Post
    Apparently it can take some abuse Ken. After all it's still a two-stroke, although Fletto has managed to make it look like an OHC foulstroke (Overhead Crankshaft, that is)
    Funny enough my first thought was one of these.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    May be just worn out governor linkages.

Worth a crack Ken, I was just going to throw the rig away and start again but we can rebuild, better than it was, one more time.

Bike
    Slider update.
    Cylinder head water jacket done. Handy having a mate who works at the local uni that has a spare wire cutter kicking around. All those taxes over the years finally doing something useful.
    The M6 screw sticking out the back is connected to the internal sliding cylinder, so it rises and falls.
    The three holes at the top around the central hole are for screws to back screw into the actual cylinder head insert. This spigots into the over-length cylinder liner and will act as the upper sliding guide. This is next.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_4314.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	269.4 KB 
ID:	320461

Bike
    Spent the day blissfully making swarf. Freehand milling, designing on the go. No CAD, no CNC.
    Actuating lever actually seems to work. Not sure what to do at the other end, possibly linked to a push-pull cable or just a simple screw adjuster for the first try.
    Had a bit of a scare with the high friction level of the main base O ring. However, with a Quad or X ring, this is now quite reasonable.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_4394.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	195.5 KB 
ID:	320791Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_4392.JPG 
Views:	87 
Size:	693.8 KB 
ID:	320790

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Who's dumb idea was it to run O rings anyway Thanks for sharing the X ring thing, might come in useful. Real close to running then?
    At this end the HCCI engine is getting rebuilt, slowly, I'd take pictures, only princess Elsa ( grandaughter ) dropped the phone, electronics are so sensitive aren't they!
    New two ring piston at 38.5mm, new rod (Suzuki 50) and a new crank with a new stroke at 16mm all in a new water cooled sleeve,cylinder. Head (what am I saying, there is no head), cylinder studs need to be longer, tonight's job and I will need a longer tooth belt as the whole engine is taller. Should be able to generate 20 to one at approx five to seven degrees after TDC on the working piston, about 14 or 15 to one at TDC on the working piston, so combustion should take place after TDC on the working piston. Would like to have a pressure transducer to see when its happening, but what? Ken tells me that the common rail Diesels have a pressure sensor in the glow plugs, must be in the combustion chambers. I wonder how they work? If I knew what output they had I could, if possible, use the sense signal to trigger my CDI, triggering the timing light, against a timing wheel on the side of the engine. I have used this system on my EFI to "see" when the injectors were turning on and off, spare coil in the injector system triggered the CDI, timing light connected, worked great.
    I've got a pipe lined up for it as well this time.

Ken, imagine if any of this shit actually worked

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Flettner View Post
    Ken, imagine if any of this shit actually worked
    Everything will work, it's just a matter of how well and how long OR, alternatively, how long and how well......

Another bonus of the FAS/contra axial layout with a total band of transfers at BDC, means the piston can be a bit shorter, in this case 6gms was lopped off.

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Quote Originally Posted by ken seeber View Post
    Everything will work, it's just a matter of how well and how long OR, alternatively, how long and how well......

Another bonus of the FAS/contra axial layout with a total band of transfers at BDC, means the piston can be a bit shorter, in this case 6gms was lopped off.
    Ken, the sliding cylinder, it might be a good candidate for HCCI as well. In stead of a separate head with oring and piston ring that the cylinder slides up and down in, the head could be a short stroke piston working in the same extended cylinder with it's crank case attached to the water jacket. Rubber diaphram to seal cylinder to top of the water jacket. The tooth belt drive would then become the crank joiners and the drive out to the dry clutch as well, saving one gear. The wheels are turning.

Bike
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by Flettner View Post
    Ken, the sliding cylinder, it might be a good candidate for HCCI as well. In stead of a separate head with oring and piston ring that the cylinder slides up and down in, the head could be a short stroke piston working in the same extended cylinder with it's crank case attached to the water jacket. Rubber diaphram to seal cylinder to top of the water jacket. The tooth belt drive would then become the crank joiners and the drive out to the dry clutch as well, saving one gear. The wheels are turning.
    You're determined to make it look like a foul-stroke, aren't you Neil?
    I imagine you won't be using a three-part water jacket any more then. I've never really understood why you chose that 3-part jacket for the present sliding cylinder.
    I like the thought of using one tooth belt for the lot; it sort of brings KISS back into the idea.

Thread Information