Page 182 of 337 FirstFirst ... 82132172180181182183184192232282 ... LastLast
Results 2,716 to 2,730 of 5043

Thread: The Bucket Foundry

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Flettner View Post
    Plumbago, I've got a shit load, I'll organise to send you some as well as the LM13. I've got to go to the second round of the Vinduro this weekend at River Head, I'm picking up the LM13 from some guy's back yard on the way home, 100kg. I intend to cast a few cylinders.
    Sounds great but you don't have to send the stuff, I could probably meet you and pick it up from wherever. - Trouble is, where I live (Howick - not near the motorway) is a bit out of your way so I wouldn't expect you to drive out here. You are of course welcome to come and have a cup of coffee or whatever if you think it's worth the extra Kms. ......... might p.m. you with a mobile # later.
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    The lid for the furnace actually did turn out to be a laugh, the concrete with the polystyrene beads crumbled like a very dry fruit cake - I wonder who told me that was a good idea? - never mind it can be fixed but I'll leave it for a couple or three days and go from there - there is nothing that can't be resolved!
    Now I'll have to force myself to have a go at some patternmaking, also sodium silicate moulding and try out the plumbago technique later. all no doubt with guidance from others, all tips and suggestions welcomed.
    Unfortunately these days my body doesn't like to be pushed, but my mind is willing and with a bit of effort it can still get the body do what it wants - ( long may that happy state of affairs last!).
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    All this stuff has to go inside, delicately, not something I'm renound for.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161207_194516.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	507.6 KB 
ID:	326650   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161207_194508.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	531.7 KB 
ID:	326651  

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Got it. Now we wait
    I'm casting another 350 cylinder as well, with the water core modification so I can machine to fit a blade type power valve. I have one but need another for the twin cylinder gyro engine. Might even cast a spare for the shelf. Imagine that, stocking spare parts. I would take photos of the assembly but I can't hold everything at once and the sand glue I use goes off relatively quickly. If anyone is interested I could video the next assembly? So you can see how it all fits together.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161207_202958.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	386.3 KB 
ID:	326652   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161207_203318.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	643.8 KB 
ID:	326653  

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    If anyone is interested I could video the next assembly? So you can see how it all fits together.
    Yep, would very much like to see something like that - it's got to be serious though, flippancy will not be tolerated in this thread!. (nor Waikato beer - ie as a substitute for rum!)

Looklng at the second of the last 4 pictures, it's pretty daunting task for someone like me - maybe I'll try a space rocket first!

What glue do you use for the sand?
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Quote Originally Posted by WilDun View Post
    Yep, would very much like to see something like that - it's got to be serious though, flippancy will not be tolerated in this thread!. (nor Waikato beer - ie as a substitute for rum!)
    +1 for that, interested in what the final result will be like, as I do the odd 3D CAD picture.

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    bsa. honda. aprilia
    [
    "anyone is interested I could video the next assembly? So you can see how it all fits together.[/QUOTE]"

yes i would like to see how ... thanks.

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    100 kg of LM13 in my shed now, if anyone is interested.
    Might have a melt up this weekend.

Bike
    Vintage 2T
    100 kg of LM13 in my shed now, if anyone is interested.
    Might have a melt up this weekend.
    We are All Interested in everything you produce, blows my mind.

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    I guess I was meaning if anyone wants some LM13 I have it available.

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    I guess I was meaning if anyone wants some LM13 I have it available.
    OK, I've set the ball rolling and got my piece of Flettner LM 13 and also some Flettner graphite - all looking good but I've still got to get myself shifted and into foundry mode after approx. 1 year off, and I'm pretty shiftless at the best of times!
    I did manage to get myself moving a couple of years ago and made a furnace, burner and tongs etc. (all off the top of my head and were designed as I went along) all eventually successful as well! - so if some of you guys are interested but scared to take the plunge into foundry work, just get as much info as you can from this forum (ie from Flettner, not me) and other relevant people.
    Force yourself to try, but just be careful and use common sense with safety, making sure all the gear is on hand, ready and easily accessed when you do a melt and you will find that it's not as hard to do as you might think! - just keep thinking ahead all the time.

BTW I remember being told by someone a lot of years ago, that with high silicon ally (such as LM 13), if it it is subjected to more than one melt you can expect silicon to gradually get depleted (ie burnt out) with every subsequent melt - guess it must be true or he wouldn't have told me!
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    OK, I've set the ball rolling and got my piece of Flettner LM 13 and also some Flettner graphite - all looking good but I've still got to get myself shifted and into foundry mode after approx. 1 year off, and I'm pretty shiftless at the best of times!
    I did manage to get myself moving a couple of years ago and made a furnace, burner and tongs etc. (all off the top of my head and were designed as I went along) all eventually successful as well! - so if some of you guys are interested but scared to take the plunge into foundry work, just get as much info as you can from this forum (ie from Flettner, not me) and other relevant people.
    Force yourself to try, but just be careful and use common sense with safety, making sure all the gear is on hand, ready and easily accessed when you do a melt and you will find that it's not as hard to do as you might think! - just keep thinking ahead all the time.

BTW I remember being told by someone a lot of years ago, that with high silicon ally (such as LM 13), if it it is subjected to more than one melt you can expect silicon to gradually get depleted (ie burnt out) with every subsequent melt - guess it must be true or he wouldn't have told me!
    Yes LM13 is easily damaged by getting it too hot or as you say remelt. You can use a product called Navac (sodium I think) melted in straight before pour to modify the alloy and 'bring it back' to life. Sodium is easily (quickly) lost, so this process must be done at the last minute. This alloy I have is strontium modified (much more durable) so it should be good without Navac first time around. You know, shit you learn on the way.

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Dragged out my furnace today and I see that I've dented the casing a little, but I'll just carry on as before, it'll be fine!
    The lid I have just made and has started to crumble is being patched up with mortar on the outside, so It'll be fine too.

Now I can't find the bloody burner and pressure reducing valve, I'm sure I put it somewhere so I could find it easily ....... don't think anybody would have pinched it, still, you never know!

Thought someone had pinched my gas cylinder (the 9kg one) as well, until I remembered that I had put it in the gas heater I was using in my workshop/laundry last winter! - so "that's fine" I thought, took it down to the service station to have it filled today and .......guess what ........ yes, of course it had expired last month!!

Now, where did I put those tongs?

It's Christmas time again but I don't go shopping, unlike certain others - I don't have to go out to find my chaos, it comes to me at home!

And that's all without Rum, Whiskey or anything else!
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Dragged out my furnace today and I see that I've dented the casing a little, but I'll just carry on as before, it'll be fine!
    The lid I have just made and has started to crumble is being patched up with mortar on the outside, so It'll be fine too.

Now I can't find the bloody burner and pressure reducing valve, I'm sure I put it somewhere so I could find it easily ....... don't think anybody would have pinched it, still, you never know!

Thought someone had pinched my gas cylinder (the 9kg one) as well, until I remembered that I had put it in the gas heater I was using in my workshop/laundry last winter! - so "that's fine" I thought, took it down to the service station to have it filled today and .......guess what ........ yes, of course it had expired last month!!

Now, where did I put those tongs?

It's Christmas time again but I don't go shopping, unlike certain others - I don't have to go out to find my chaos, it comes to me at home!

And that's all without Rum, Whiskey or anything else!
    Me too, I'm looking at a melt up this weekend but I too am having trouble locating all the bits and pieces. I've got three rocket molds ready and would like to make three more to make a melt worth it. I'll just use remelt CC601. I had a 350 cylinder mold almost ready too but late at night trying to unbox it, I dropped it onto the bench. buggered! Sooo (he says calmly), we start again. I'll get some pictures up of an assembly of a rocket mold.

Bike
    STRIKE trike & KTM300 EXC TPI
    [QUOTE=polinizei;1130976017]
    Quote Originally Posted by ken seeber View Post

:-)
    This is a older render.
    I only work with my zortrax printer.
    The previously posted corebox are for this cylinder, but I need to reprint them in case of layout changes.
    Polinizei,
    Just wondering how you went with your 3D printed coreboxes
    Cheers, Ken

Thread Information