Page 186 of 337 FirstFirst ... 86136176184185186187188196236286 ... LastLast
Results 2,776 to 2,790 of 5043

Thread: The Bucket Foundry

Bike
    STRIKE trike & KTM300 EXC TPI
    Good foundry stuff going on here. We’ve got an almost complete top loading shell core blower getting close to being operational. Originally had a pretty cruddy die set mounting system, so we replaced this with a largish mechanical press type we had hanging around. This gives us a lot more precision that we will need for the very small coreboxes as part of its intended use. Because it of a plain bush design, we used motorcycle fork gaiters plus a heat shield (blue) to provide further protection.
    Some of the coreboxes will have a complex shaped part line, so matching is important. Clearly, the die set is opened and closed with the horizontal red air cylinder and within the die set can be seen two flanged aluminium blocks which are yet to be machined to form the actual corebox. Not shown is the ejector mechanism that will slightly eject the cores from both the corebox halves when it is opening. These will be electrically heated and the temp controlled with the T/C temp controllers in the clear faced control panel. The shell core sand is stored in the large ex 9 kg LPG bottle, and dispensed into the (unpainted) hopper when it is swung directly under the valve under the LPG bottle. The hopper will contain quite a bit of sand, so it won’t have to be filled every cycle. So, when the corebox is to be filled, the hopper will be swung around so that it is directly above the corebox. Then the vertical air cylinder clamps down on the hopper forcing it hard against the corebox. Then compressed air is applied into the hopper, forcing the sand into the vented corebox. Not sure, but I reckon the cycle time will be around 30 sec or so.
    Have a good Xmas guys.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0656.JPG 
Views:	73 
Size:	622.0 KB 
ID:	327308 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0651.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	555.6 KB 
ID:	327307

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    HUSA,(or anyone who might know)
    Got any idea how I can watch Wanganui races online today? they say you can get an app. but damned if I can get it.
    I want to watch my namesake and countryman (Michael Dunlop) either win or kill himself trying to win!
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by WilDun View Post
    HUSA,(or anyone who might know)
    Got any idea how I can watch Wanganui races online today? they say you can get an app. but damned if I can get it.
    I want to watch my namesake and countryman (Michael Dunlop) either win or kill himself trying to win!
    $15
    http://www.i-film.co.nz/watch.html
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Thanks Husa,
    Bit disappointed - he wasn't exactly trying as hard as he usually does at the TT!
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    I'm just reading Being There by Huge Anderson, he put up with a lot of shit from Suzuki. His bikes would either seize up or foul plugs and there seemed to be no urgency to fix the problem. It is a wonder he finished any races at all. We don't know how lucky we are these days. It is a good read.

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Flettner View Post
    I'm just reading Being There by Huge Anderson, he put up with a lot of shit from Suzuki. His bikes would either seize up or foul plugs and there seemed to be no urgency to fix the problem. It is a wonder he finished any races at all. We don't know how lucky we are these days.
    I was talking to someone who knew Hugh and he told him (and I guess it's true) that he spent hours and hours test riding for Suzuki as well as racing, by having to ride the bikes round and round until they seized, to test various piston grinds - a very dangerous occupation!
    He was a great rider - I saw him fall off his 125 Suzuki (twin) at the Ulster GP,(probably around 1963 -1964) he picked it up again, carried on and actually won the race!!
    BTW that was in the days when the 125cc machines were lapping faster the 500cc class!
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    I was talking to someone who knew Hugh and he told him (and I guess it's true) that he spent hours and hours test riding for Suzuki as well as racing, by having to ride the bikes round and round until they seized, to test various piston grinds - a very dangerous occupation!
    He was a great rider - I saw him fall off his 125 Suzuki (twin) at the Ulster GP,(probably around 1963 -1964) he picked it up again, carried on and actually won the race!!
    BTW that was in the days when the 125cc machines were lapping faster the 500cc class!
    Yes, apparently they had spare plugs and a plug spanner in the fairing, sometimes had to stop out on the track and change plugs then carry on racing
    I look at my YZ as an example of modern twostroke. Never fouls a plug, piston change at 100 hours, feed it petrol and oil, change gearbox oil from time to time. Clean air filter every time, total reliability.
    How cool is that,' Being There ' you were.

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Flettner;1131020299I
    look at my YZ as an example of modern twostroke. Never fouls a plug, piston change at 100 hours, feed it petrol and oil, change gearbox oil from time to time. Clean air filter every time, total reliability.
    Then just as they were almost perfected, some clown behind a desk in his wisdom wiped them from the scene with a stroke of his pen!
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    Exercycle
    Pretty sure that was the European season after he'd brought the 125 home to NZ and raced it here.
    I was at Wigram (big airfield circuit, Will..) and watched him ride away from everybody. The Manx I later owned blew up chasing him and Ginger Molloy wound up second on his works 250 Bultaco...those of us watching who were aware of what bikes were in NZ were somewhat detuned.....

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    Pretty sure that was the European season after he'd brought the 125 home to NZ and raced it here.
    The guy who told me about the piston testing was Len Jelaca (he, Hughie and Ginger Molloy were mates around Huntly). I used to work with Len and I found that he had previously been a very good Speedway rider.
    The other two went to Europe together and ended up with Bultaco and Suzuki.
    Len unfortunately died around 15 tears ago.

Even the 500 Manx would have had difficulty keeping up with those fast (but unpredictable) 125 Suzukis!
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Flettner, was there any mention in his book about the seizure testing or the time he (ie Hugh Anderson) fell off at the Ulster?
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    Exercycle
    Flettner, was there any mention in his book about the seizure testing or the time he (ie Hugh Anderson) fell off at the Ulster?
    According to Vic Willoughby's book "The racing Motorcycle' it was 1964 - and there's a pic too of Hugh riding the tits off the 125 post fall.
    Lost the title to Luigi Taveri that year when Honda brought out the 125 four.

The Manx I spoke of was probably the best in NZ and at that point had won 3 NZGP's - and still had one more to go. To stay with the 125 according to the rider (T R McCleary...) it needed a six speed box. It only ever had a four speed sadly. But it did finish up with an ex works 90 bore engine after the Wigram blow up.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    That Anderson book is good, his dedication to sorting the bike elevated him plus gave him heaps of seat time.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    husaberg
    Some Hugh stuff and era stuff
    Those steel looking frames were genarally aluminium painted
    A very young Barry Sheene nearly stole the world tittle on a 1967 twin, (with some of the gears disabled to comply with the 6 speed rule) in 1971 with no works support.
    https://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/s...post1130619460

https://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/s...post1130619102

https://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/s...post1130619459
    I reminder distinctly .

Thread Information