Page 187 of 337 FirstFirst ... 87137177185186187188189197237287 ... LastLast
Results 2,791 to 2,805 of 5043

Thread: The Bucket Foundry

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    Some Hugh stuff and era stuff
    A very interesting conversation, all very "non foundry" at the moment, but it has brought me up to date on a lot of info and a lot of other bike stuff I missed out on over the 25 or so years since I rode bikes, - by joining the forum a few years ago I found that I was just as interested as ever I was.

This was originally Yow Ling's thread - where's he gone anyway? - you did start a good thread here you know!

I did actually join Kiwibiker a while ago when recovering from surgery, just because I was a bit bored - made a nuisance of myself by getting a couple or three guys inflamed, one being the guru of the Harley guys but that was resolved by my swallowing humble pie! I apologized to him and he was very gracious about it I must say - thankfully.
    Quite frankly I think I was a "pain in the ass" ! probably still am sometimes - I do my best not to be, but if I am, hopefully you guys can make allowances for me!

Then, after not visiting it much for a couple of years I came back when I happened to see Flettner's foundry stuff on this thread and haven't looked back, except for a couple of outbursts maybe I have remained a relatively good boy.

I was always very interested in foundry work and I wanted to have a go at casting metal when I had fully recovered and found that I could learn a lot here (also earlier on ESE) on the subject - I have learnt a lot and am still continuing to do so, long may it all last.
    Progress is slow as I'm not really very energetic these days but I'll get there - I have already done a couple of pours but feel that there is still a lot to learn from this thread. (and having now met Neil, I will be able to learn a bit more on the subject!).

I have had the chance to talk to and meet some of the other guys here, also talked to quite a few from overseas, including Ken in Oz, and Frits in Nederland and many others both in Europe and America - guys I would never have had the chance to talk to a few years ago (and who I would never even have dared approach then) and managed to have a few interesting discussions.

Happy new Year everybody, I for one appreciate all the fun we have had so far.
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    YLR150RR and a RD350LC
    Quote Originally Posted by WilDun View Post

This was originally Yow Ling's thread - where's he gone anyway? - you did start a good thread here you know!
    Im still here sometimes, its not my thread, I just started it, I quite like it as it hasnt gone esoteric like the other one, still has stuff mortals can understand and dream of. Just keep posting interesting shit
    My neighbours diary says I have boundary issues

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Yow Ling View Post
    Im still here sometimes, its not my thread, I just started it, I quite like it as it hasnt gone esoteric like the other one, still has stuff mortals can understand and dream of. Just keep posting interesting shit
    Good to know you're still around - guess the bike thing keeps you busy and makes it difficult to do the foundry thing!
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    STRIKE trike & KTM300 EXC TPI
    Slider update.

At this stage, we should be able to hear it running...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0684.JPG 
Views:	99 
Size:	107.5 KB 
ID:	327421

Also came to a decision:
    1. I don't think I'll make exhausts for a living.
    2. No-one would ask me anyway.

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Yes yes, you must post a video of it running like that

Bike
    Exercycle
    Shouldn't it have a barbeque grill on the top ?

Ken you should have realised by now that pipe making in multiples is so soul destroying that anyone willing to make them is worth paying...

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    Shouldn't it have a barbeque grill on the top ?

Ken you should have realised by now that pipe making in multiples is so soul destroying that anyone willing to make them is worth paying...
    No, it's easy these days, the skill has been taken out of engineering,,,, just press print.
    I'm told, people like us aren't needed any more.

Bike
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by ken seeber View Post
    Slider update. At this stage, we should be able to hear it running...
    Looking like that, I should be able to hear it running from where I am, sitting here in the west-european winter.
    And you're damn right about the 'joy' of making exhausts for a living. I've made more than I care to remember but only because on many occasions I didn't want to wait for someone else to make them, and sometimes because I wanted to keep the pipe dimensions to myself for a while. Pipe building has never become a hobby of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Flettner View Post
    No, it's easy these days, the skill has been taken out of engineering,,,, just press print.
    I'm told, people like us aren't needed any more.
    Told by whom? Keyboard jockeys who don't know left-hand from right-hand thread?
    I'm forever grateful that my dad not only let me study but also taught me how to get my hands dirty without losing my fingers.

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Quote Originally Posted by Frits Overmars View Post

Told by whom? Keyboard jockeys who don't know left-hand from right-hand thread?
    I'm forever grateful that my dad not only let me study but also taught me how to get my hands dirty without losing my fingers.
    I guess I'm just a bit grumpy with some of the business I deal with, they will spend a shit load of time and money inhouse drawing up components leaving no time or money for building it. Usually it's wrong anyway and I'll end up having to fix it for them but they don't value what I do so don't want to pay for it. I've given up and won't deal with these customers any more, too much hassle and no money. Funnily enough I've been approached by one of these customers recently because they can't get the parts built anywhere else (they didn't say that but I have my contacts). It felt real nice to tell them (politely) fuck off.
    Another one I used to deal with liked to get their prototype stuff made in China, always wrong because the Chinese just make to the drawing and don't care if it's wrong. I usually end up fixing it or remaking it. They would always question me on my price, they too got the message recently.
    Customers, who needs them anyway

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    I guess I'm just a bit grumpy with some of the business I deal with, they will spend a shit load of time and money inhouse drawing up components leaving no time or money for building it. Usually it's wrong anyway and I'll end up having to fix it for them but they don't value what I do so don't want to pay for it.
    Rather than tell them to fuck off, have a standard "application" form (if they come to you, then you are holding the whip), explaining that you also have requirements before starting the job and if they won't sign that then tell them to f ... etc. etc - some may even comply - If they are desperate enough.
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Quote Originally Posted by WilDun View Post
    Rather than tell them to fuck off, have a standard "application" form (if they come to you, then you are holding the whip), explaining that you also have requirements before starting the job and if they won't sign that then tell them to f ... etc. etc - some may even comply - If they are desperate enough.
    Will, l'm just over dealing with dick heads, someone else can hold their hand.

Bike
    husaberg
    Will, l'm just over dealing with dick heads, someone else can hold their hand.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    That didn't take long, I find one of the grand kids behind the couch with one one of grandma's good spoons undoing the lid off the rocket money box. Next she will be dipping into her younger sisters stash. Perhaps locktite will need to be used after all
    See, knowlage is power

Bike
    STRIKE trike & KTM300 EXC TPI
    Slider update:
    Did an exhaust cradle/brace to tie the three exhausts together and then have to rig up a rough coolant system. With the pressure of popular demand to see (hear) it running in this state, this should be enough to give it a free (not connected to a dyno load) run. Probably do it next year sometime.

After this intermediate thrill, I guess it's back to the completing the pipes and sorting out the dyno.

Name:	DSC_0704.JPG 
Views:	81 
Size:	147.3 KB 
ID:	327465

Bike
    husaberg
    http://www.aluminumcastingscorp.com/...ltingdept.html

This bit interested me
    http://www.aluminumcastingscorp.com/tenzaloy713.html
    Tenzaloy (Alloy 713) Aluminum Sand Castings
    High Strength Without Heat Treatment
    An option to 319, 355, and 356 heat treated aluminum sand castings is the Tenzaloy, or 713 as-cast aluminum alloy that we pour in our aluminum sand foundry. Physical properties are equivalent to the heat treated 300 series aluminum alloys with minimum results of 32,000 psi tensile, 22,000 psi yield strength and 3.0% elongation.
    These properties are attained through the natural aging process at room temperature over a 2-3 week period. This increasing strength nearly levels out in the aluminum sand castings after the 3 weeks, increasing only slightly for up to 6 months further to its peak stability.
    Also have a gander at these.

Name:	12339139_975633265830226_5678001186248170889_o.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	202.0 KB 
ID:	327492Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12109047_955357341191152_8209917417044532550_n.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	113.2 KB 
ID:	327493Click image for larger version. 

Name:	887573_955356984524521_2948677852744919129_o.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	371.2 KB 
ID:	327494Click image for larger version. 

Name:	534794_382103568516535_684676089_n.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	132.7 KB 
ID:	327495Click image for larger version. 

Name:	298774_234897779903782_1609989863_n.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	33.8 KB 
ID:	327496
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Thread Information